Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: OpenELEC/RASPBMC/OSMC black screen on install
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi,
I am trying to install Kodi on my Raspberry Pi B+. I have managed to install NOOBS, so I'm fairly confident the cables are right, voltage OK, etc.
I then formatted the SD and installed OpenELEC. This gives a splash screen and then nothing - just a black screen until I pull the plug. The red light is on, but the green light flickers very faintly.
I tried RASPBMC with the same result.
I tried OSMC (https://osmc.tv/) and had a bit more success... it appeared to be installing, but when install ended and it rebooted I get the black screen of death again!
Bought a kit from Swag (http://swag.raspberrypi.org/products/b-r...tarter-kit). So the kit should be OK. I checked the voltage of the adapter and it should be giving out 5.2V.
Any ideas? How do I troubleshoot this?
I've tried removing any extra inputs (USB HD, LAN), but this did not fix the problem.
Thanks,
Ant
(2015-01-20, 14:59)chubbant Wrote: [ -> ]I then formatted the SD and installed OpenELEC.
Exactly how did you do this.
Your words do not sound correct to me....
Which splash screen did you see? The Pi's "Rainbow" splash or OE's splash?

Double and triple check your cable and TV's HDMI input. I recently saw one forum post where the issue was actually the TV's HDMI input prevented proper connection of one of the pins preventing the EDID data from being read.

And try on a different TV with a different HDMI cable.
Hi Bosse_B,
Thanks for the prompt reply.
On a Samsung Notebook running Lubuntu 14.04 I used 'disks' to remove all partitions and format a single partition with FAT (I think this defaults to FAT32).
In the /Downloads/OpenELEC-RPi.arm-4.0.6/ directory I ran:
Code:
sudo ./create_sdcard /dev/sdb
Code:
sync
The GUI file manager assured me that the SD was no longer mounted.
I then inserted the microSD card into the RaspberryPi B+ which had only the mouse and keyboard USBs attached.
I then inserted the power cable and saw the OpenELEC splash screen appear. Then black nothingness...
Basically just followed these instructions:
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...spberry_Pi
ciao,
Ant

(2015-01-20, 17:34)doug Wrote: [ -> ]Which splash screen did you see? The Pi's "Rainbow" splash or OE's splash?

Double and triple check your cable and TV's HDMI input. I recently saw one forum post where the issue was actually the TV's HDMI input prevented proper connection of one of the pins preventing the EDID data from being read.

Hi Doug,
I have an old monitor - for which I'm using an HDMI-DVI cable (no converter as apparently this causes trouble...?)
Could that be the issue? Is there a setting I can change or do I have to use an HDMI compliant TV/Monitor.
Thanks,
Ant
Quote:On a Samsung Notebook running Lubuntu 14.04 I used 'disks' to remove all partitions and format a single partition with FAT (I think this defaults to FAT32).
That won't do....
You should use a disk imaging software and then image the OE (or any other operating system you may choose) downloaded image file.
Then your SD card will be bootable and the initialization will start.
I have done this numerous times (not with OE, but RaspBian and RaspBMC) and it always worked.
The imaging was done on a Win7 machine using Win32DiskImager.
Since you are running your PC with Linux I can't advice what tool you should use.
(2015-01-20, 17:58)Bosse_B Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:On a Samsung Notebook running Lubuntu 14.04 I used 'disks' to remove all partitions and format a single partition with FAT (I think this defaults to FAT32).
That won't do....
You should use a disk imaging software and then image the OE (or any other operating system you may choose) downloaded image file.
Then your SD card will be bootable and the initialization will start.
I have done this numerous times (not with OE, but RaspBian and RaspBMC) and it always worked.
The imaging was done on a Win7 machine using Win32DiskImager.
Since you are running your PC with Linux I can't advice what tool you should use.

Really?? It seems he's following OE's own instructions on installing by use of a linux system here.

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...spberry_Pi
Then I have no further idea to offer. Maybe the SDcard is now broken?
Could be worth it to try adding

Code:
config_hdmi_boost=4

to config.txt. Could push all the way to 7 if it appeared to have some effect without complete resolution of the issue...
http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#Video_mode_options

I'm a bit unclear though, are you trying to install OE as one of your OS's under NOOBS? Or have you wiped NOOBS out completely for a single OE OS install?

EDIT: Maybe even before testing the config_hdmi_boost, since you are using HDMI<->DVI cable, I think you need to be outputting a DMT resolution. The link above demonstrates how to specify DMT (hdmi_group=2) and you'd have to check the monitor for whatever it's native resolution is and specify that as well (hdmi_mode=??) It's quite possible your cable is not communicating valid resolutions to the pi.
For the sake of troubleshooting, using HDMI with a different cable and monitor can help eliminate the cause of your trouble being an install issue. That is, it validates that OE was installed and works correctly.

As ActionA says, determine the native resolution of the monitor and specify the DMT. You should be able to use DVI to your old monitor.
I tried installing from SD card only, using the USB/SD option as suggested above.
This time it crashes out after the splash screen - complaining about no /dev/sda1.
I did a cat /etc/fstab and it's blank. As in the fstab file is empty!
I assume this means that boot-up has stalled before the USB storage device could become available.
It does mean that the new 'cmdline.txt' file is being accessed... and failing.
I seem to have a console at root (# prompt). Not sure where to go from here...?

on second reboot I had more boot-up action (OK messages)... but now my red LED had gone out.
This is apparently never supposed to happen.
I've only added a 4GB USB stick.
Keep it simple. Get it working with the SD card only first.

And there is no fstab in OE.
(2015-01-20, 20:54)ActionA Wrote: [ -> ]
Code:
config_hdmi_boost=4
to config.txt. Could push all the way to 7 if it appeared to have some effect without complete resolution of the issue...

Thanks! I tried adding
Code:
hdmi_safe=1
from that page and it nearly worked - I saw loads more of the bootup and installation. Then on a final reboot... nothing.

So I then tried SSHing into the Pi just to see if the lights were on and someone was home after all. Yep - sure enough I now have SSH access and am going to try to figure out how to get this old monitor to work with RaspBMC. NOOBS does work, so I'm sure there must be a simple config setting somewhere. I'll start with config_hdmi_boost=4...

Any other pointers would be appreciated.

ciao,
Ant

ps: I assume this pain would go away if I had a nice HDMI monitor/TV on hand.
From these help pages:

pi@raspbmc:/$ /opt/vc/bin/tvservice -m CEA
Group CEA has 2 modes:
mode 4: 1280x720 @ 60Hz 16:9, clock:74MHz progressive
mode 16: 1920x1080 @ 60Hz 16:9, clock:148MHz progressive
pi@raspbmc:/$ /opt/vc/bin/tvservice -m DMT
Group DMT has 1 modes:
(prefer) mode 4: 640x480 @ 60Hz 4:3, clock:25MHz progressive
pi@raspbmc:/$ /opt/vc/bin/tvservice -s
state 0x12001a [HDMI DMT (4) RGB full 4:3], 640x480 @ 60.00Hz, progressive
pi@raspbmc:/$ /opt/vc/bin/tvservice -d edid.dat
Nothing written!
pi@raspbmc:/$
Have failed with these additions to /boot/config.txt thus far:
config_hdmi_boost=4
hdmi_safe=1
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=4
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=16
config_hdmi_boost=4

Feels like I'm shooting into the dark...

I may have to give up - the error message says:
2: Digital input - Cannot Display This Video Mode

So my Dell PC monitor is just too old...?
You should be using hdmi_group=2 and hdmi_mode=16.

Typically, CEA is a TV and DMT is a monitor.

EDIT: Sorry, skipped over your tvservice output.... Yes, it seems group 1 and mode 16 should work... I think the biggest problem you are having is the HDMI to DVI cable.
Pages: 1 2 3