Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Locally stored metadata
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Everyone,

I updated my Pi to run on Kodi and decided a clean install would be a good idea. It was, the system does run better, but i also lost all my metadata in the process.

As you know, recovering this is a timely process with a Raspberry Pi so i used a third party scraper to do the work VI Media Manager. This worked really well for movies with only a few slight issues with 300 movies, but it was terrible for TV scraping. When i plugged my Pi back in and selected use local dada only for the metadata, most of the TV shows did not even appear in the list.

I gave up and went back to scraping the TV shows using the inbuilt scraper which although slow performs it perfectly. So, after all that explanation, my question is this: now that i have scraped all the data using the inbuilt scraper, is there a way i can move all these files automatically into the corresponding folder on my external HD so if something happens to my Pi operating system, i will still have all the data stored locally?

TLDR : can i store metadada scraped with the Pi locally?

Set up : Raspberyy Pi B+ exclusively running OpenELEC 5.0 with Kodi. Media connected with 3Tb harddrive via USB.

Folder structure: Show Name > "Season #" > "SxxExx - Episode name"
Let Kodi gather all the artwork and everything. When it's done, export the library. Then if you have to rebuild the library again you can import that.
Try MediaElch. Or another any other external Media Scraper. Stick with what you have been trying as it has rewards going forward.

I really really don't recommend storing the Metadata locally if you can help it. As this will slow down the RPi far too much as your library grows.
Store all movies and TV Shows externally with their own folders that include all externally scraped Metadata.

3400 media files stored and folder structured externally makes RPi Media Library Navigation speed fast on my RPi. Smile
What i meant by stored locally was that all data/pictures associated with each movie/show are stored on my external HD, in the corresponding folder. On the HD everything is organised in individual folders.

The way VIMediaManager does it stores the files the way i want, but it's just a bit too flaky with tv shows, especially seasons 10 and up for some reason.
MediaElch has just had an update to v2.2.1 and its now much faster scraping Metadata Smile