Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Black Levels - whoa !!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Dunno whether it's Kodi or latest Intel HD Graphics drivers on Windows but suddenly the Black n White levels have snapped into place. I can now see black levels 0-16 and white levels 235-255!! Also no more banding on Greyscale ramp, All stuff I complained about in Gotham.

Everything matches my Bluray now using AVS Calibration disk.

Kodi really rocks now especially with the Titan skin.

Brilliant!!
I concur. It took a while to find the right combination of colour space settings but now I can't see any difference in calibation displays between Kodi and my Oppo BR player
Maybe it's the updated FFMPEG
Hat Kodi Version and what driver Version are you using? I'll set up kodi on windows soon on my dn2820fykh nuc.
Might also have something to do with the fact that nvidias latest whql drivers has corrected a long standing bug with limited/full range colors.

Edit: Missed that you were using Intel graphics so that's obviously not the case.
(2015-01-30, 19:51)barenaked Wrote: [ -> ]Hat Kodi Version and what driver Version are you using? I'll set up kodi on windows soon on my dn2820fykh nuc.

Kodi Helix and the latest Intel drivers from Intel download centre.
I have noticed no improvement in black levels, could the re be an option I need to turn on?
I upgraded from 13.2 - so I'd have a 13.2 config file?
using kodi 14.0 (dxva-hd), intel driver 15.36.14.4080 (with EnableRGBFullRange) configured as shown in this screenshot (not mine):
https://communities.intel.com/servlet/Ji...lRange.jpg

i get 0-255 output (BTB and WTW confirmed with AVS 709 test disk), very smooth grayscale gradient but movies look washed out.
when i switch driver to limited range for video i get 16-235, grayscale gradient is not smooth but black and white levels look correct.
my samsung tv has hdmi black level set to normal (which AFAIK is the correct setting for 0-255), my AVR does not interfere with levels.

are there any other settings i should check to get 0-255 working?
You should not fiddle with the input range control. We tell the driver what to use depending on the video being played back.

Also that screenshot implies as if video levels 16 and 235 were not true black/white but some sort of very dark/light grey. That is just not true. These are video equivalents of rgb 0 and 255, so normal black and white. BTB and WTW are for consumer equipment just plain insignificant. There is no such thing as blacker than black or whiter than white. It is all a conversion error and values outside the video range should be clamped by the equipment.
@a11599 you are not correct here. There is of course BTB and WTW.
I'm using Intel HD4600 graphics and I'm using the following settings which give the closest match to the calibration of my Oppo 93 player:

Kodi set to limited range 16-235

Intel graphics driver: Video driver setting=full range, Display driver setting=full range

TV input set to limited range
(2015-02-03, 22:44)MadScientist Wrote: [ -> ]I'm using Intel HD4600 graphics and I'm using the following settings which give the closest match to the calibration of my Oppo 93 player:

Kodi set to limited range 16-235

Intel graphics driver: Video driver setting=full range, Display driver setting=full range

TV input set to limited range

correct, that is the only config kodi's limited range setting can work. and it only works, if tv ignores info frame which would signal full range
(2015-02-03, 16:41)a11599 Wrote: [ -> ]You should not fiddle with the input range control. We tell the driver what to use depending on the video being played back.

ok, i understand now better the intention behind this.

(2015-02-03, 22:44)MadScientist Wrote: [ -> ]I'm using Intel HD4600 graphics and I'm using the following settings which give the closest match to the calibration of my Oppo 93 player (...)

thank you so much! grayscale gradients look much better now, better then i was able to get previously with kodi.
these settings give me 16-255 range and i don't know if i am imagining things but contrast and saturation seem also better.
can you explain to me one more thing? why you have agreed with OP about 0-255 when these settings result in 16-255 (or perhaps 16-235 for some other people, depending on hardware?).

(2015-02-03, 23:16)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]correct, that is the only config kodi's limited range setting can work. and it only works, if tv ignores info frame which would signal full range

yes, these look best to me. even better than 0-255 all the way through the chain.
digging further, what dithering method kodi is using when video levels range compression or expansion is performed? or maybe it is a graphics driver function?
i am asking because lav filters + madvr are still slightly better than kodi with regard to dithering,
and i would like to know if i can somehow tweak it further.
Color conversion and image processing by applying filters are different stories. There are various rendering paths and there is a whole bunch of things you can improve. Look at DXVA-HD rendering path:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...D.cpp#L480
It only applies filters for brightness and contrast.
(2015-02-03, 15:32)ciukacz Wrote: [ -> ]i get 0-255 output (BTB and WTW confirmed with AVS 709 test disk), very smooth grayscale gradient but movies look washed out.
when i switch driver to limited range for video i get 16-235, grayscale gradient is not smooth but black and white levels look correct.
my samsung tv has hdmi black level set to normal (which AFAIK is the correct setting for 0-255), my AVR does not interfere with levels.

are there any other settings i should check to get 0-255 working?

Can you tell me more about this AVS 709 disc? is it any good? I'm getting a copy now (it's free, hah!)
I'd love to setup my stuff perfectly. Pretty cool it exists.

Anyone else used it?
Pages: 1 2