Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Openelec and live tv
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Trying to set up live TV for 1st time, thought I'd try openelec first...

I've got openelec 5.0.1 and vdr add-on all default settings except 'wait for frontend' (in vdr)....
I Have vnsi set up as defaults, host is 127.0
0.1 (both are local on the htpc).

When I channel scan its gets as far as 7% retrieves 30 radio channel's & a msg the reads "vnsi lost connection to vdr server, scan stops and crashes back to a blank screen..

Set on UK dvb t

Tried several times, reboots etc.
Is there some config I need to do internally to openelec?

Thanks.
Think I need to get w_scan for openenelec 5.0.. The only version I can find gives 'dependency error'.

Unless someone is kind enough to compile the latest version for OE 5 for me ? ...😀
Cheers.
w_scan is in unofficial addons repo in openelec
wirbelscan 0.0.7 that was included in OE vdr-addon 4.3.6 is known to be crashy. please force refresh addon repos and install vdr-addon 4.3.7. it has wirbelscan 0.0.9 included, where the crash is fixed. after upgrading you'd better reboot first.
OK....will try this, otherwise I got w_scan now via unofficial repo but have no idea on SSH commands to send OE to scan remotely
first stop vdr:
systemctl stop service.multimedia.vdr-addon

for dvb-s scan:
w_scan -fs -s S19E2 -o 21 > /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/service.multimedia.vdr-addon/config/channels.conf
where S19E2 is astra 19.2 east

for dvb-c scan:
w_scan -fc -c DE -o 21 > /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/service.multimedia.vdr-addon/config/channels.conf
where DE is germany.

start vdr:
systemctl start service.multimedia.vdr-addon

and do reset pvr database.
OK cheers.... I did check the OE vdr add-on version and was already 4.3.7

After playing with w_scan finding exact command for freeview HD (UK) which as far as I knew was dvb t2.

w_scan -ft -c GB -o 21 > / is the main part of the command that works for me...

The reason that wirbelscan was crashing was because I had it set on 'DVB T terrestrial'....

Both preferred to scan via DVB C (not sure why, unless I've missed something) and all working ok now.

Cheers.
I have the same problem, vdr crash near 20% of Terrestrial scan with vdr on OpenElec 5.0.6 .

When I scan with w_scan several channels are found but not all ? Why ?

Scanning with tvheadend all Italian DVB-T channels are found .

How can I solve the problem ? I would want to use vdr but I can't find all channels .
Hello aleroot,

can you connect gdb (GNU Debugger) with vdr and perform the scan again, then the fault becomes noted from it.
Use the following steps if you don't know it.
- Start vdr with wirbelscan plugin
- Connect gdb on command line as root with "gdb --pid=`pidof vdr`"
It load the code of it and bring you to his command line and vdr process stopped.
- On gdb command line type in "c" to continue work of vdr.
- Do the channelscan with the plugin.
If a exception becomes present, shows gdb a error and vdr process becomes stopped
- After the exception, type in gdb "bt" (backtrace), then the last process point before fault becomes shown and allow to know what the source of fault is.

Give me then what you see and I look to bring a fix for it, working currently also on KODI's VDR addon to bring back the channelscan on it.
Hi alwinus,
I don't have gdb on my OpenELEC system . Do you know how can I install it ?

Thanks for the support .
Ah sorry aleroot,

I look on it, cross the fingers and I hope to find something.
No idea how to install, found only that it present in development version of OpenElec.
I tried even with the latest OpenELEC 5.0.8 with the same result, the problem of the crash happen when first channels are found, while if I scan without attaching the TV Antenna cable I don't have any errors and the scan proceed until the end without crashing.