Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: T! 1920x1088 resolution gets yellow cases
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First off, I would like to say a huge thank you to Ronie for all of his hard work on T! It's an awesome skin that I've been using for years. Everyone who comes over is just blown away by my HTPC and the credit goes to this skin and to all of the Kodi developers who selflessly give their time in development.

I noticed that several of my blu ray movies get the yellow cases instead of the blue cases that all of my other blu ray movies get in the Fanart view of T!. From reading previous threads, I understand from Ronie that this indicates that the resolution of said movie is not detected by Kodi. Trying to determine what the difference is between the movies that get the yellow cases and the blue cases, I did a little digging into the Debug Log and see that all of the movies that get the yellow cases show a resolution of 1920x1088. All of my movies that get a blu ray case are 1920x1080 or 1920x1040.

While I have included a link to the entire debug log below, here are just a couple snippets from the log comparing my blu ray encode of Toy Story (1920x1088) movie which gets a yellow case and my blu ray encode of Toy Story 2 which gets a blu ray case (1920x1080).

Toy Story
13:10:29 T:10156 INFO: ffmpeg[27AC]: Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (High), yuv420p, 1920x1088, SAR 1:1 DAR 30:17, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 180k tbc (default)

Toy Story 2
13:10:43 T:8732 INFO: ffmpeg[221C]: Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (High), yuv420p, 1920x1080, SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 180k tbc (default)

Is this information available to T! prior to displaying the list of movies? I'm just trying to figure out why Kodi is unable to detect the resolution for 1920x1088 movies.

As a test I created a playlist called HD Test and set it to find items where the video resolution is greater than 720. And this playlist returns all of my 1920x1080 movies which get blu ray cases as well as all of my 1920x1088 movies which get yellow cases. So would it be possible for T! to use this same SQL statement to determine the color of the case? In the log, I found that HD test playlist used this statement to find items where the video resolution was greater than 720.

select * from movieview WHERE ((movieview.idFile IN (SELECT DISTINCT idFile FROM streamdetails WHERE iVideoWidth > 1280)))

I read in previous posts that playing the movie for a few seconds is supposed to allow Kodi to detect the resolution and then T! would then show a blu ray case instead of the prior yellow case. But I played the movies in their entirety and I still get the yellow case.

Also, just FYI, I tried upgrading to Helix from Gotham and even though I answered Yes when it asked me if I wanted to keep my old XBMC settings, the upgrade kept NONE of the settings so I reverted back to Gotham with my backup until I can get that sorted out. Again, that's for another day. I just wanted to explain why I wasn't on the latest and greatest.

Thanks again for all you do and I look forward to your reply.

Debug Log
could you enable this setting: Settings > Skin Settings > General > Show debug info
then navigate to the Toy Story movie in fanart view and take a screenshot?

also check if this setting is enabled (probably is, but doesn't hurt to double-check):
Settings > Videos > File lists > Extract thumbnails and video information
Thanks for your reply! I can't find the Show Debug Info setting that you're referring to under Settings > Skin Settings > General. I have included a screen shot of the options that I see under General.

I also confirmed that the Extract thumbs setting was enabled as you had suspected and included a screen shot of that as well. I also went ahead and included the screen shot of Toy Story in fanart view even though I couldn't get the Show Debug Info setting turned on.

Sorry for the double post on this image.
(2015-02-09, 04:17)HAVLACK Wrote: [ -> ]Image

Sorry for the double post on this image.

scroll down to the bottom and you'll find the 'show debug info' there. ;-)
oh...of course. duh. Here you go. Please let me know if you need anything else.

It seems 1088p is not properly detected as 1080p: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/6391
Is there any way for this to be fixed so 1088p is detected as 1080p?

I agree with the OP from your link in that it looks like this may have gotten broken in Gotham. I originally had the correct blu ray case for Toy Story and several other 1088p movies in my collection when I first started using XBMC on Frodo. However, I changed the location of my movies to a new bigger hard drive recently. Instead of exporting my video library the proper way, I just changed the path it was pointing to and did a new scan. When it finished I noticed several yellow cases peppering my library in fanart view.
I found in Media Flagging Support, a post from way back in 2009 lists the following resolutions as the only valid options. If 1088 was added to this list in the code, would that fix the issue?

ListItem.VideoResolution – the quantized resolution video stream. Options are 480, 540, 720, or 1080.

http://kodi.tv/media-flagging-support/
previously anything above 720p was labeled as 1080p

but at one point we added 4K in the mix and since then we have a strict limit of 1920x1080 for 1080p.
I found where you pasted this code in an old post back in 2011. Like you said, this has been udpated since then to support 4k so I assume that the check for 1080 is now (iWidth <= 1920 && iHeight <=1080)? Whereas the previous code would have allowed 1088 to just fall down to the last Else statement and returned 1080 as a catch all for anything over 720. So any chance this code could be updated to (iWidth <= 1920 && iHeight <=1088) return 1080?

If not, I understand and will look to encode these movies again and just force the encode to 1080. I'm still not sure exactly why some blu ray discs are 1088 instead of 1080 but that's a discussion for another day. Thanks again Ronie for all you do here. Keep up the great work.

(2011-09-10, 15:18)ronie Wrote: [ -> ]
Eddage Wrote:I was just wondering how XBMC reads the video resolution of the files?

to find out, you'll have to check the source-code.
the logic is defined in utils/StreamDetails.cpp

PHP Code:
if (iWidth == || iHeight == 0)
    return 
"";

else if (
iWidth <= 720 && iHeight <= 480)
    return 
"480";

// 720x576 (PAL) (768 when rescaled for square pixels)

else if (iWidth <= 768 && iHeight <= 576)
    return 
"576";

// 960x540 (sometimes 544 which is multiple of 16)

else if (iWidth <= 960 && iHeight <= 544)
    return 
"540";

// 1280x720

else if (iWidth <= 1280 && iHeight <= 720)
    return 
"720";

// 1920x1080

else
    return 
"1080"
just follow the discussion here: 6391 (PR)