Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: What is the "best" version of XBMC for the ATV2?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know that "best" is very subjective, but given the hardware limitations of the ATV2 (and the recent EOL announcement), what are people's opinions on the most stable, smoothest running version of XBMC/Kodi for the ATV2?

I am currently running 14.0 Helix, on an ATV2 running 5.3 (iOS 6.1.4), and I was curious as to whether I would have a better experience running Frodo or Gotham (or some other version).

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
It really depends if you are having lots of crashes or not. If you're not having lots of crashes, then don't worry about it. Another version won't run faster.

If you are having lots of crashes, these are probably due to the ATV2 running out of available RAM, and in that case you should try to use v12.3. v12.3 uses slightly less RAM.
(2015-02-12, 03:00)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]It really depends if you are having lots of crashes or not. If you're not having lots of crashes, then don't worry about it. Another version won't run faster.

If you are having lots of crashes, these are probably due to the ATV2 running out of available RAM, and in that case you should try to use v12.3. v12.3 uses slightly less RAM.

Thank you! This is extremely helpful.
I like gotham 13.2 on mine.
I went to Kodi and then back.
I'm running kodi 14.0 on ios 4.3
On startup i have 109 mb free memory
everything is fine.
The issues I had was when i upgraded xbmc to kodi. I had to remove kodi and reinstall it from start.
13.2 works best for me too. Subtitle scraper didnt work for me on 12.3. And stutter on 720p mkv movies. 13.2 seems best with my setup. Wifi 5ghz Netgear R7000. Full bars on the atvs.
13.2 seems to run the smoothest but with 13.2+, I heard a loud pop / click before media file started playing. Mods here determined it was probably due to the A/V receiver I was running with ATV2. Had to downgrade to 12.3 and everything works normally again. So for me, 12.3.
How do I downgrade from KODI? I upgraded the firmware to ios 5.3 (apple is still signing) and used nito installer from my PC to install KODI (it wouldn't install from within NITO, so I had to install from the PC side)
How do I remove KODI first, second, how do I install a lower version? thanks
After having horrible crashing problems on 13.2, problems which were only slightly improved by downgrading to 12.3, I'm finding that 14.1 is a comparative dream.

I hardly, if ever, crash upon booting into KODI -- an issue that had become VERY frustrating with earlier versions -- and 14.1 just seems more stable in general.
(2015-02-24, 19:21)Jstraw Wrote: [ -> ]How do I downgrade from KODI? I upgraded the firmware to ios 5.3 (apple is still signing) and used nito installer from my PC to install KODI (it wouldn't install from within NITO, so I had to install from the PC side)
How do I remove KODI first, second, how do I install a lower version? thanks

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kod...di_to_XBMC
(2015-02-24, 20:01)MaxieWagner Wrote: [ -> ]After having horrible crashing problems on 13.2, problems which were only slightly improved by downgrading to 12.3, I'm finding that 14.1 is a comparative dream.

I hardly, if ever, crash upon booting into KODI -- an issue that had become VERY frustrating with earlier versions -- and 14.1 just seems more stable in general.

Love KODI 14.1! I just bought 2 fire TV's and its screamin fassst... The Apple TV 2 is getting resold and when I wiped it, KODI 14 was the only option, I don't know where to get the builds from though. It doesn't run correctly after the update, just doesn't load very much of the program or show I am watching like it used too, I could pause it with the old version and it would download while paused, now I get a buffer is full error and things are funky. right now, with KODI 14 I have 69 - 71% memory used at idle and between 77 - 82MB of memory left. is that on par with other builds, like gothem?

UPDATE: I just cleared cache and purged programs through the maintenance tool and now I have 103 - 105MB Free Memory and 57 - 58% Memory used? are those good numbers? do I have to manually clear cache every time or should it do it automatically?
(2015-02-24, 23:30)Jstraw Wrote: [ -> ]UPDATE: I just cleared cache and purged programs through the maintenance tool and now I have 103 - 105MB Free Memory and 57 - 58% Memory used? are those good numbers? do I have to manually clear cache every time or should it do it automatically?

What maintenance tool?

I tried all versions:
Kodi crashes randomly.
Gotham has problem with subtitle scrabber crashing.
Frodo had problem when quiting. Needed 2 mins or so.

Since we are on the subject. Any suggestions what needs to be done or the ATV2 is dead to Kodi comunity/player?

Thanks,
s@
(2015-03-06, 05:19)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]I'd say it's dead: http://kodi.tv/farewell-to-future-appletv2-development/

Oh... missed that.
Thanks.
(2015-02-12, 03:00)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]It really depends if you are having lots of crashes or not. If you're not having lots of crashes, then don't worry about it. Another version won't run faster.

Not sure where to post and didn’t want to start another one so here goes: My ATV2’s playback on any stream comes as a stutter. This started once I upgraded to Kodi from XBMC. I think that means I was on Gotham before Helix? I’ve tried toggling all the playback options but nothings help yet. I just installed a nightly build hoping that might help but no go. Would you recommend I go back to Gotham? Thank you and sorry I’m not more knowledgeable about my topic. If there’s something that will help you help me I’m happy to try.

Peter
Pages: 1 2