Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Raspberry pi 2 VPN set up help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So i run my pi on Openelec which looks like it has built in OPENVPN and PPTP support in the network tab, I purchased CyberGhost VPN and all i received was an activation key which led me to a Cyberghost.OPVN file (for openVPN) however i have no idea, where to put this file to enable it to work. On Openelec it wants a key, and two certificates which i didn't receive but it seems in the OPVN file there is certifcates/key in there what do i do?

The other way around was through PPTP and i followed all instructions however the status says failure. It sometimes says Association but doesnt do nothing either. Help would be greatly appreciated.
I reccomend using this addon for openelec on the pi
http://brianhornsby.com/kodi_addons/openvpn
Read the Faq
(2015-02-12, 23:58)invisable Wrote: [ -> ]I reccomend using this addon for openelec on the pi
http://brianhornsby.com/kodi_addons/openvpn
Read the Faq

Went to the FAQ which points Pi owners here : http://forums.tvaddons.ag/threads/24769-...n-for-XBMC which is a good guide, and I've got my VPN running fine when starting from an SSH session.

However with the OpenVPN files stored in /storage/.config/vpn-config/ as suggested, I can't find out how to navigate to that folder within Kodi to add the .ovpn file to the script. Is it because .config is hidden (because of the .) - or is it mounted somewhere else? Or should I just ignore the .config location and put them in an easy-to-find folder?
Why not open the configfiles samba share in Windows?
(2015-02-13, 12:34)Milhouse Wrote: [ -> ]Why not open the configfiles samba share in Windows?

I have no issue opening them to edit them (in fact I used SAMBA to get them into the folder, and to edit them remotely to change the paths to the ca, key etc. files and to add my password file), it is a problem navigating to find them within the Kodi file system navigation bit of the UI when I need to load them in the config section of the VPN Script add-on that allows me to start/stop the VPN connection from within Kodi.

I don't think they need to be in the .config/vpn-config folder - but I put them there as I was guided to by the FAQ. I'm sure I could put them all somewhere else and edit the .ovpn to point to the new location.

It's just as I'm following a guide I thought it should be possible!
Sorry - missed the blindingly obvious. There's a hidden folder view option in Settings->Appearance->File Lists. Now I can see the folders beginning with . and thus navigate to .config/vpn-config in storage to load the OpenVPN config file (and it was detailed in the guide I linked to above - I just didn't see it...)

Apologies for wasting time... Sorry.

All working well for me now.
Glad It's working, I wrote that guide a while ago, previously I used advanced launcher to swap my vpn connection. I tried to make it as simple as possible. Yes you can call, or put files where you like. Brain did message me so, hopefully in the future when he has time he will write a better written version lol.
One thing I would say, as Millhouse previously told me. Openelec team are dropping the openvpn binary so it needs to be manually installed via the openelec unofficial repo. It this installs the openvpn binary to the addons folder, this just means you need to go into the settings in Brian's addon and change the path from
usr/sbin/openvpn
To
storage/.kodi/addons/network.openvpn/bin/openvpn

Anyone's using Millhouse test builds using Brian's addon will need to do this already. As I found out Wink
(2015-02-13, 22:28)invisable Wrote: [ -> ]this just means you need to go into the settings in Brian's addon and change the path from
usr/sbin/openvpn
To
storage/.kodi/addons/network.openvpn/bin/openvpn

Anyone's using Millhouse test builds using Brian's addon will need to do this already. As I found out Wink

It might be worth opening an issue on Brian's github to let him know and maybe he can code a solution.
Will do, thanks.
Is PPTP VPN back in openelec? I was told by sraue that it was removed because none of the developers was using it and because they needed somone to maintain it.
Really impressed with Open VPN on the Pi2. Streaming SVT1 720/25p live stream taking around 6% CPU for OpenVPN and less than 10% CPU for Kodi. Thanks for the heads up about OpenVPN binary being removed from OE - that's a pity.
I am bit lost what is currently being possible and what is not? Is VPN currently working with openelec and (if so) how? Thanks in advance!
(2015-03-21, 06:56)steve1977 Wrote: [ -> ]I am bit lost what is currently being possible and what is not? Is VPN currently working with openelec and (if so) how? Thanks in advance!
As far as I'm aware Openelec are dropping official support for the Openvpn binary.
What this basically means is in the future versions of openelec and millhouses test builds is the openvpn client will not be installed by default. However.....
The openvpn binary can still be installed and used, it just means it's been moved to the unofficially section so the user needs to install it manually from the openelec unofficial repository.
This makes no difference if your using Brian's Hornsby openvpn addon as you just direct the add-on to the location of where the openvpn.bin file is found.

I'm not sure where this leaves openelec gui built in vpn which can be found in the openelec addon/settings. But to be honest I don't like this much anyway.
Thanks, I got it to work. Took a bit, but now going smoothly. Any idea how to find out what external IP my RPi is now connected to?
You could log in via ssh and type:
Code:
curl ifconfig.me
Pages: 1 2