Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Failed to open Live TV Stream, recordings also not functioning, please help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, please help me, i've been trying to get this to work since Saturday it is now Thursday night and i have proceeded to bang my head against the nearest wall.
I have mythtv backend running on mythbuntu 14.04.1 running on a supermicro server with a ceton infinitv 4 and dual intel xeon processors.

So far i have finally been able to get the infinitv drivers working along with the cable card which i have verified at least 10 times by navigating to the web interface 192.168.200.1, manually tunning to channel 50 (USA, verizon FiOS) , verifying copy freely, and finally running the command "cat /dev/ceton/ctn91xx_mpeg0_0 | mplayer -cache 8192 -" (ive ran it so many times i have it memorized now) and few minutes later im greeted with a rerun of NCIS playing mplayer (cant verify sound as this is an actual server and has no sound card integrated or otherwise) i thought i was in the clear but i was wrong...

i proceeded to setup mythtv with this guide http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Ceton_InfiniTV_4, which went ok except for a glitch which wouldn't get guide data from schedules direct but i got it to work after a day
i then installed Kodi 14.1 on my windows 7 laptop, setup the add-on with the ip address 10.0.1.14 of the server with pin 0000, its good and it downloads EPG data and what not as expected.

Then comes the big moment, going to select a channel i go with channel 4 FOX, and i got "Mythtv PVR client: channel unavailable" i tried channels 5,169, 170 and random others i also tried selecting record for a show on 50 let it record for a minute and stop it and then went to recorded programs there's a file put selecting start from beginning does nothing, no pop up nothing.

Heres the log for the mythtv backend
http://pastebin.com/sP62Yf7a

and heres the log from kodi
http://pastebin.com/05hjSWfN

Please please please help me, if you can help me get this working not only will you be my hero, i will buy you a case of beer as well (seriously, maybe not an actual case but money to get a case Smile )
From mythbackend log
'/media/media/New_Volume/myth/livetv/1085_20150220013418.mpg'.#012#011#011#011eno: Permission denied (13)

This indicates a permissions issue on the disk. Also it is strange to me that your live tv storage group seems to be mounted on /media.

Please do 'ls -l /media/media/New_Volume/' and post the result.

If possible can you run mythtv front end on your backend and confirm this works properly.

Kodi log shows time out on tuning to the channel, most likely caused by the permissions issue aboue

Mike
Sorry for the delay but i was at work, here is the result from the command:
Code:
drwx------ 1 media media    0 Nov 15  2011 -
drwx------ 1 media media    0 Oct 17  2011 backup
drwx------ 1 media media    0 Dec 14  2012 found.000
drwx------ 1 media media    0 Feb 18 19:51 msdownld.tmp
drwx------ 1 media media    0 Feb 18 21:31 myth
drwx------ 1 media media 4096 Feb 19 00:11 Recorded TV
drwx------ 1 media media 4096 Feb 18 00:55 $RECYCLE.BIN
drwx------ 1 media media    0 Apr 17  2012 System Volume Information
drwx------ 1 media media    0 Feb 19 00:10 Videos

And going to live tv on mythtv front end on the same server just causes a 1 and a please wait to flash briefly on screen before going back to main menu and selecting a recording say selection unavailable, i have also captured the log from the front end here: http://pastebin.com/DrdPSvp3
What user is running the myth backend?
Are you using an ntfs or vfat drive?
I login with media as that's the one i created with install, i don't know what mythtv runs as but i am assuming whatever default mythbuntu runs it as, and the drive is NTFS as it was pulled from another windows computer originally.
Ok well mythbackend will be running as user mythtv. Looks like that user won't have permmissions to write where it needs to.

Back up the drive and format to ext4 or xfs.
Ok i have formatted the drive as ext4 and set the permission for the directory that mythtv works in to the mythtv user and group using the command

'sudo chown mythtv:mythtv /media/media/New_Volume/myth/ -R'

and i attempted to use kodi again to view live tv and recordings and i was still getting the same errors including the one pointed out by mike above:
'/media/media/New_Volume/myth/livetv/1007_20150220023625.mpg'.#012#011#011#011eno: Permission denied (13)

the frontend on the server test also had the same result, ive gathered the logs for the front and back end again http://pastebin.com/DvUgtWRH

thank you for the replies and help so far Smile

EDIT:
forgot to add new results for the ls -l command
Code:
drwx------ 2 root   root   16384 Feb 20 18:20 lost+found
drwxrwxr-x 6 mythtv mythtv  4096 Feb 20 18:31 myth
Can you check that Storage Directories in mythtv backend are correctly setup using 'mythtv-setup' command. When you exit from mythtv-setup it normally tells you if there is a problem with permissions, something like unable write to directory...

You can also see what Storage Directories mythtv backend is using in the database 'mythconverg' by doing this:
login to mysql 'mysql -uroot -p mythconverg'
check storage groups 'select * from storagegroup;'
You should get someting similar to this, your hostname and dirname will be different
Code:
mysql> select * from storagegroup;
+----+-------------+------------------+------------------------------+
| id | groupname   | hostname         | dirname                      |
|  1 | Default     | myth-server-test | /var/lib/mythtv/recordings   |
|  2 | Videos      | myth-server-test | /var/lib/mythtv/videos/      |
|  3 | Fanart      | myth-server-test | /var/lib/mythtv/fanart/      |
|  4 | Trailers    | myth-server-test | /var/lib/mythtv/trailers/    |
|  5 | Coverart    | myth-server-test | /var/lib/mythtv/coverart/    |
|  7 | Screenshots | myth-server-test | /var/lib/mythtv/screenshots/ |
|  8 | Banners     | myth-server-test | /var/lib/mythtv/banners/     |
|  9 | DB Backups  | myth-server-test | /var/lib/mythtv/db_backups/  |
| 10 | LiveTV      | myth-server-test | /var/lib/mythtv/livetv/      |
| 11 | Streaming   | myth-server-test | /var/lib/mythtv/streaming/   |
10 rows in set (0.00 sec)
You then need to make sure the permissions on each of the dirname are set for mythtv:mythtv for the paths in your case.

Mike
ok i have checked them and each folder does say mythtv read and write

Code:
+----+-------------+-------------+---------------------------------------+
| id | groupname   | hostname    | dirname                               |
| 14 | Default     | mediaserver | /media/media/New_Volume/myth/default/ |
| 13 | Videos      | mediaserver | /media/media/New_Volume/myth/videos/  |
|  3 | Fanart      | mediaserver | /var/lib/mythtv/fanart/               |
|  4 | Trailers    | mediaserver | /var/lib/mythtv/trailers/             |
|  5 | Coverart    | mediaserver | /var/lib/mythtv/coverart/             |
|  7 | Screenshots | mediaserver | /var/lib/mythtv/screenshots/          |
|  8 | Banners     | mediaserver | /var/lib/mythtv/banners/              |
|  9 | DB Backups  | mediaserver | /var/lib/mythtv/db_backups/           |
| 12 | LiveTV      | mediaserver | /media/media/New_Volume/myth/livetv/  |
| 15 | Streaming   | mediaserver | /media/media/New_Volume/myth/stream/  |

but it still refuses to work Sad
I think you may have to change your mount point to something other that /media.
See http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Troubleshooti...ermissions Subtle Issues part.
I use /myth

fstab entry

UUID="c4466737-837e-4a82-bdf9-763354240b74" /myth ext4 defaults,noatime 0 2

Your UUID will be different

Mike
Ha ha Smile THANK YOU,

changing mount points got it to work, thank you very much for your help, PM me a paypal email address and i will definently send you money for a case
Happy to have helped. Many people have helped me in the past.

No need for the case!

Mike