Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Replacing a netgear ntv 550 with an RPi 2: quality concerns?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

After my failed attempts to have a proper (read: into j1900j based) htpc at gone, I an looking into replacing my Netgear NeoTv 550 with an RPi 2 running OpenELEC.

can anyone comment on what I might expect in terms of rendering quality? A decrease or an improvement? Material played well be mostly mp4 720 and 1080 rips.

Although the netgear became obsolete its signs designs processor produced some excellent scaling and deinterlacing.
Not too sure about scaling comparisons but from a recent discussion about deinterlacing....

(2015-01-31, 17:05)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]For DVD resolution the Pi will do a Motion Adaptive Deinterlace similar to YADIF.
For higher resolutions (e.g. 1080i) it will do bob. Both will optionally double framerate.

I see very little difference visually in deinterlacing quality comparing VDPAU deinterlacing on my AMD 6770 equipped iMac to deinterlacing on my RPi's.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/deinterlacing#VDPAU

For say a Chromebox (or similar Haswell) deinterlacing....
Quote:Haswell currently supports MCDI, MADI and Bob in VAAPI.

Noggin will likely be along shortly to make your head spin with further technical mumbo jumbo that may or may not make you head spin .... Wink
I agree that the Pi and Pi 2 do a good quality job (a lot better than the Android solutions I've seen)

The MCDI deinterlace on the Chromebox (and other Intel platforms) and the Temporal/Spatial on nVidia is a better solution IMO than the Bob used on 1080i and the MMAL Advanced (which doesn't quite match YADIF in my set-up) but it is a good quality Bob (I've seen a lot worse) Similarly SD to HD scaling is far better on the Pi/Pi2 than you might expect for a £30 box.

For a £25-30 solution it is incredibly good. In comparison to a £150 Chromebox or £200 DIY HTPC it still holds its own.
Thank you both on the info provided, much appreciated!
@noggin: I settled on a custom HTPC for me, however I have ordered a couple of RPi2 kits for the family.

I'll need your advice again Smile How do you propose I should configure video options regarding scaling algorithm, deinterlacing and (possibly) postprocessing?
On the Pi at the moment I leave things at default, playing with MMAL Bob vs MMAL Advanced is worth doing to see which you prefer on the interlaced material you watch. Advanced gives you increased vertical resolution on static content, but on some content, to me, introduces some artefacts. Bob is undoubtedly softer on vertical content, but appears to be less artefacty on motion.

For the x86 PC let me know what your video solution is (nVidia, Intel etc.) and what CPU if Intel.

I personally use a Haswell 2955U-based Chromebox with Lanczos 3 scaling and VAAPI MCDI.
You're the best!!!!

The pc has an AMD A4-5000 (Kabini), with a Radeon 8330. I believe it implements VDPAU, but I am not sure to what extent the optimization is effective. On 1080p H.264 material CPU utilization is rather low.

With regard to RPi: are these MMAL processing methods RPi-centric?
(2015-03-02, 13:04)carmik Wrote: [ -> ]You're the best!!!!

The pc has an AMD A4-5000 (Kabini), with a Radeon 8330. I believe it implements VDPAU, but I am not sure to what extent the optimization is effective. On 1080p H.264 material CPU utilization is rather low.

With regard to RPi: are these MMAL processing methods RPi-centric?

Afraid I don't use AMD platforms - so can't comment on the best solution. 720/24p and 1080/24p H264 is usually the easiest stuff to decode - 720/50p or 60p and 1080/50i or 60i is more intensive due to the requirement to deinterlace or decode more than twice the number of frames each second.

Can't comment on the deinterlacing modes or quality present in the AMD implementation.

MMAL deinterlace modes are RPi/RPi2 specific AFAIK.
(2015-03-02, 13:33)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]MMAL deinterlace modes are RPi/RPi2 specific AFAIK.

It might be great to share your bits of wisdom on these methods on the Kodi/RPi wiki Smile
(2015-03-02, 13:04)carmik Wrote: [ -> ]The pc has an AMD A4-5000 (Kabini), with a Radeon 8330. I believe it implements VDPAU, but I am not sure to what extent the optimization is effective. On 1080p H.264 material CPU utilization is rather low.

The AMD Radeon 8330 is nicknamed OLAND, VDPAU info for that here:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU
Sorry for delaying to get back to you my friend, this post slipped past my radar Smile

I read the info you've provided. Lots of tech info there, from what I understand the HD scaling options are mostly for Nvidias. For the radeon, optimized Lanczos3 is a good solution.
(2015-03-04, 12:18)carmik Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry for delaying to get back to you my friend, this post slipped past my radar Smile

I read the info you've provided. Lots of tech info there, from what I understand the HD scaling options are mostly for Nvidias. For the radeon, optimized Lanczos3 is a good solution.
 Hi carmik.
hope you are still around. 
If you finally replaced the NTV 550 with RPi or anything, can I buy your NTV 550?
Mine has gone and I have everything in my sound cave installed around it, so it would be great to just put it in place and live on.
You can write to me private tonys@email.cz

Thank you 
Tony
(2017-12-10, 19:14)tonys_0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-03-04, 12:18)carmik Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry for delaying to get back to you my friend, this post slipped past my radar Smile

Hi carmik.
hope you are still around. 
If you finally replaced the NTV 550 with RPi or anything, can I buy your NTV 550?
Mine has gone and I have everything in my sound cave installed around it, so it would be great to just put it in place and live on.
You can write to me private tonys@email.cz

Thank you 
Tony 
 Sorry Tony, but I've sold it at that time...