Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Backend and Kodi channel numbers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I've been using Kodi and pvr.wmc for a few weeks now and am loving it. I use Roomie Remote on an ipad for control and they recently integrated their TV Guide app with Kodi.Works great except inconsistencies in channel numbers.

For example, on Roomie when I select channel 125 (History Channel) it sends a ".channel set 125" command. That should work as 125 is History Channel on my provider, in the Kodi EPG, and on Roomie's guide. However, it actually tunes to Bravo (channel 184 on my provider and in the EPG).. Punching in 125 on my keyboard works as expected. After a bit of investigating, it appears as though Kodi assigns channel 125 to Bravo (channel 184 on my provider). I confirmed this by disabling "always use the channel order from the backend" and "use backend channel numbers"

I have tried every combination of those 2 settings, restarting Kodi between each change, but I cant get it to work properly. It is my understanding that "use backend channel numbers" should be the setting to use to fix this problem but it does not.

Any suggestions? Reassigning numbers in the EPG doesn't seem to affect the numbers that Kodi uses behind the scenes.

thanks
rob
Is it possible that Bravo channel 184 is the 125th channel in you EPG guide?

In my setup, changing channels by number indicate the number position

1 - 4.1
2 - 4.2
3 - 4.3
4 - 5.1
and so on

So when I want to go to channel 4.1 I select "1" from my remote.
Hi, yes you are correct. However, I thought by selecting "use backend channel numbers" would assign the backend numbers as "logical" numbers in Kodi. When I have that option set, everything LOOKS correct in the EPG and works correctly when changing channels using a keyboard. I think the problem I'm running into is Kodi assigns channel numbers in the order they are presented by the back end and cannot be changed. Moving channels, etc. only changes the way they are displayed in Kodi and maps them back to those static numbers originally assigned. At least that's the way it appears to me.

In any event, I found a work-around in Roomie but a bug in the latest version is causing me other issues now. Arrgh.

Thanks for the reply!
I think I've seen this mentioned elsewhere that "remotes" that drive Kodi through the API (as opposed to through infra-red remote) the backend channel numbers aren't used and only Kodi's internal channel id

As such it's a Kodi enhancement request rather than anything we can control in the pvr addons
Thanks for confirming my suspicions about the channel numbering. I think I'll put in that enhancement request.