Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: GPIO IR module takes a while to work fluidly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just got an infra module like so for the rpi 2 - http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/...40710.html

Seems to take a while for remote to work fluidly after startup in that loading epg etc seems to have impact on keypresses. For a while not all keypresses are recognised or some are delayed. After a few minutes whenever everything has settled down the keypresses seem to be recognised as normal. Seems like when kodi is busy that it doesnt handle the ir signals as good.

Faster sd card made no difference. And dont suffer this issue using a usb IR receiver.

After a bit of googling looks like the gpio receiver probably isnt going to be the replacement i hoped for. I experience the same as in the post here and the response that follows seems like its just the way gpio receivers are.

http://openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry-p...=255#77909
Hmm, I have to test that out now. I didn't notice anything, but I'm not really using the remote much once I've started a video. As a side note, that module from Aliexpress seems to use the 5V pin, not the 3.3V pin as is generally recommended.
Can you just check if moving the IR receiver away from TV and equipment helps?
Some equipment (e.g plasma TV) can interfere with IR.

It's probably not this, but worth ruling the possibility out first.
Moved rpi away from tv but unfortunately made no difference (i'm using a lcd in this case).
Hmm, I just tried this on my Pi 2 and am surprised that the behavior didn't improve since Pi 1. On the Pi 1 I could get it to work really nice, but with a slight.. I guess you could call it a delay. I'm probably not making much sense..

I'll try experimenting around and see what I find out.
Is LIRC input noticeably worse than using the keyboard? Can you try running 'irw' in a shell and see if you get the same difference in response speed between the menus and movie playback?
Not at home at the moment, but its noticeably worse in my case using the gpio module (in first post) compared to using a usb mce ir receiver. I dont experience any missed keypresses as far as i can see/notice using the usb receiver. When i played around with irw the other evening using the gpio module, keypresses could be fine for a few seconds and then not register a keypress. Could be just a coincidence but it just seemed to me it was worse if kodi was doing something such as loading epg or playing a 1080 mkv movie.
I can easily reproduce the problem with high-bitrate material from a network share. Although the IR pulses are received, there is sufficient timing jitter to render them incomprehensible. This probably isn't going to be easy.
I noticed exactly the same behaviour. IR remote works perfectly for most things but when I play high bandwidth MPEG's it only works on every 3rd or 4th press.

Any work arounds possible or am I better going to a USB IR receiver.
I don't know of any workarounds for this problem. The correct solution is probably going to be to offload the timing capture to the firmware, i.e. port the Linux driver to run on the GPU, then use any old data channel to get the results into the ARM. This isn't a huge amount of work, but I'll have to discuss it with @popcornmix before commiting to it.
(2015-05-28, 10:16)PhilE Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know of any workarounds for this problem. The correct solution is probably going to be to offload the timing capture to the firmware, i.e. port the Linux driver to run on the GPU, then use any old data channel to get the results into the ARM. This isn't a huge amount of work, but I'll have to discuss it with @popcornmix before commiting to it.

We've discussed this, and have a plan. It's on Phil's list, but he's got a few more urgent jobs so won't be happening immediately (but will happen).
It has been fixed since testbuild #0417.
(2015-05-28, 15:30)startv Wrote: [ -> ]It has been fixed since testbuild #0417.

Really?

@craigh1960 can you either test latest Milhouse build or add smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N to cmdline.txt and report if it helps?
(2015-05-28, 15:38)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-05-28, 15:30)startv Wrote: [ -> ]It has been fixed since testbuild #0417.

Really?

@craigh1960 can you either test latest Milhouse build or add smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N to cmdline.txt and report if it helps?

Hi

I added the item....
cmdline.txt
boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 quiet
smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N

After a reboot i did not notice any significant change.
I am running OpenElec 5.08
Pages: 1 2