Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MySql noob unraid
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hello. im new to mysql. i have an unraid server and an htpc and a google nexus player. I want to set up mysql to handle the library.
i set up according to this website

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.p...ic=29101.0

everything matches the instructions but when i boot up kodi it gives me the 'unable to initialize, exiting"

if i change the password in my advanced settings file to my mysql user password, kodi loads just fine but then i cant set the content for anything. when i remove the advanced setting xml it works fine. theres a few extra lines from stuff i had in there before but it worked fine with those.

My logs

<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.1.205</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>kodi</user>
<pass>kodi</pass>
</videodatabase>
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<network>
<cachemembuffersize>524288000</cachemembuffersize>
</network>
<videolibrary>
<importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
<importresumepoint>true</importresumepoint>
<recentlyaddeditems>50</recentlyaddeditems>
</videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>
you said you followed that guide that you linked

Quote:CREATE USER 'xbmc' IDENTIFIED BY 'xbmc';

Did you do that exactly? Or did you change it to "CREATE USER 'kodi' IDENTIFIED BY 'kodi';"

also, your pass from the log doesn't match what you pasted here in your advancedsettings
i changed it to kodi

i was confused whether the password was what i setup ins mysql. i tried both. when it is kodi, kodi wont start. it says " 'unable to initialize, exiting".

so when the pass is kodi i cant even get a log to show crash info
Well the relevant part of your log states that :

Quote:ERROR: Unable to open database: MyVideos90 [1045](Access denied for user 'kodi'@'192.168.1.230' (using password: YES))"
so it's definitely a user permission error.
thats with the incorrect password so that makes sense. with the correct one it just crashes. i just got finished a 100% fresh install and it did the same thing.

so im kinda stuck where im not sure what to do with mysql in order to keep kodi from crashing and i cant get a log when it crashes. today is my first time touching mysql and ill probably only ever use it for kodi.

i verified the mysql names (and theyre spelled correctly) and i copied and pasted the line granting access (aside from changing to the word xbmc to kodi)
my logs #2

i deleted my mysql folders and restarted and i was able to log in. but when i go to set content i can select a scraper, but once i select ok nothing happens. i i go to set content again, it looks likes i never set it in the first place.

then when i go to restart kodi, it crashes and continually wont start until i delete the mysql folders and start it.

theres my sql usersi only added the kodi per the instructions
whats your output with:

Code:
show databases;

my logs 3

i think it has to do with the part of lines 370 to 450 ish where it says it cant create a table? not sure what that means but it looks like its having an issue creating the database folders
its still a permissions issue, are you sure you have run
Code:
GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'kodi';
yes. i ran it again just to be sure. but i get the failed to initialize message.

crash logs

heres the logs from the crashing
it works now. painfully. dont know ho much time i spent learning about mysql and unraid.

i couldnt log in to mysql at all at one point. i started with the mysql version provided under unmenu in unraid. thats what was giving me the issues. then everything i read said to edit the config file. well, you can access the on unraid from windows. so that was 2 hours gone by. finally i went with a different version on mysql (5.5) this is when i couldnt even get root access. so i went throguh that process. same deal, get access to config files. cant do that. so i got to the point where i was going to delete it and move on accepting that some things are a little too advanced for what i know. then i can delete it. awesome....its restricted. so then i had to learn how to delete files through unraids comand prompt. ultiamtely i started thinking maybe there was a file from the original mysql left over conflicting with the other newer one. managed to delete anything to do with mysql. reboot. no mysql files! yay! do a fresh install. and bam i can access root. (also through all of this whenever i typed a password in for root it never displayed it. is this for security?) so then i go through the standard process of setting up mysql and it works. i start kodi (i had to go back to 14.0) and after a few minutes at the initial loading screen it loads. i go to scrape and its working .

so all in all i still dont know why the intiial version of mysql didnt work but 5.5 does. dont care. it works.

thanks for the help helta!

and to everyone elses posts i stumbled across