Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: KodiBuntu, will it meet my need, or?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi

I`m new to this Linux OS, I have used Kodi/XBMC for the last ten years. I now have a Chrome Box, I have used ut for a while with OpenElec, but
I want something more out of it.
Like:
viaplay.no
tv3play.no
kanal5play.se
netflix.no
hbonordic.com
etc etc,

And this needs f.ex. Chrome to play.
I then wonder if KodiBuntu will manage this, if a go out to Ubuntu to use Chrome?
Ore setup shortcuts inside Kodi, that's even better.

Kindly
Look for the Addon Chrome Launcher. It will launch chrome from inside Kodi.
Thnaks, have done something like that in Win before.

But will KodiBuntu manage alle the pages, or is there som limitations in Ubuntu vs Win?
There are addons available for both TV3play and Viaplay (requires Silverlight/Pipelight), these should work on Linux as well as Windows and OS X.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:TV3_Play
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=141630

There is also a addon available for HBOnordic, but this one only works in Windows and OS X.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=150002

Regarding Netflix you should take a look at the NetfliXBMC project:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=211574
Aleksander
Thanks, have read them.

The addons are nice, but, it`s always a but with addons, when the sites they use does something, and the addons are not maintained.
Therefor I want to have just an link/use of an normal web browser, or the possibilities to use it. In that case.

So, if I understand this right, KodiUbuntu and Chrome for Ubuntu will absolutly work with all this pages and others? VGtv f.ex?

Win and OSx is not an option on a Chrome Box.
WIn is an option on Chromebox as long as you don't want audio over HDMI - you could use a USB sound card.
That`s true, what I meant was that it was not an option for me. :-)

So I stand still with my question.
No one can predict when netflix will change the rules, or break clients that it doesn't support.

As far as present support goes, as I understand it linux now plays netflix.
OK, that was my question. So that`s good.

But will it support most other also, or is this still an general probles, as for a couple of years ago?

Sorry if I didn`t understand every answer. :-)
I believe that if you want to have audio in Chrome on Ubuntu, you will have to install PulseAudio. Running Kodi with PulseAudio will not support HD audio passthrough. To run Kodi with the default ALSA driver, which will support it, you will have to log out of Ubuntu and log back in as Kodi in a new xsession. In other words, I don't think it is possible to launch Chrome from within Kodi and still have HD audio. I may be wrong, and if anyone knows otherwise I would appreciate finding out how.
Thanks, if that`s not possible as you think, then this isn`t for me.

Hope for an answer to. :-)
(2015-03-03, 21:34)pcdude Wrote: [ -> ]I believe that if you want to have audio in Chrome on Ubuntu, you will have to install PulseAudio. Running Kodi with PulseAudio will not support HD audio passthrough. To run Kodi with the default ALSA driver, which will support it, you will have to log out of Ubuntu and log back in as Kodi in a new xsession. In other words, I don't think it is possible to launch Chrome from within Kodi and still have HD audio. I may be wrong, and if anyone knows otherwise I would appreciate finding out how.
why can't chrome use alsa?
Everything you want can be done with kodibuntu on Chromebox. Some of this stuff like HBO I believe will require wine. But Netflix runs fine in vanilla Chrome. Pretty sure you can get away without pulse audio for this stuff. You can also switch between pulse and alsa if you had to.
calev:
So if I understand right, I can install KodiBuntu and make i boot right in to Kodi, then "add" shortcuts in Kodi to webpages that will start in Chrome and all will work. As it has in Windows? Exept for HBO.

So Kodi will have the possibility to start Programs that are installed in Ubuntu?
Chrome Launcher (I think it has already been mentioned in this thread).
Pages: 1 2