Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HOW TO - Configure a Logitech Harmony Remote for Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Hello, I have a lenovo ovu710018 reciever that is recognized as a "mce usb ir - spinel plus" in windows 7. Is there anything I can do to get it recognized as an ehome receiver or am I screwed?
(2015-10-08, 10:49)baroonin Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, I have a lenovo ovu710018 reciever that is recognized as a "mce usb ir - spinel plus" in windows 7. Is there anything I can do to get it recognized as an ehome receiver or am I screwed?

If you can figure out its devices in the Harmony database, you can treat it as a non-eHome receiver. Otherwise, you have bought a receiver that is not a true eHome receiver and nothing can be done about that.

If it came from China, it could be a fake. I have one similar experience.
Great guide, very useful!
(2015-03-08, 07:25)Warner306 Wrote: [ -> ]4. CREATING A KODI ACTIVITY – MICROSOFT eHOME DEVICES

By this point, two devices should be added to your Harmony profile:
  • MCE Keyboard
  • Windows Media Center SE
Adding an Activity

MyHarmony:
  • Choose Custom activity and follow the on-screen instructions.
Legacy Software:

From the Activities tab:
  1. Select Manual Activity;
  2. Choose Utility;
  3. Generic Activity;
  4. Add Required Devices;
  5. Complete Set-up.
Power On and Off – Only one device should be used to power the system on and off. I recommend Windows Media Center SE for this purpose. Leaving the computer off when not in use is the recommended setting. The Off state may be wake from sleep/hibernate, or wake from a power off state if your motherboard supports this.

Customizing Buttons – Harmony Keymap

To customize the remote, commands from the Kodi keymap must be matched to commands for a device in the Harmony database. Most key commands (e.g. "I") can be matched directly to the MCE Keyboard, so this process can usually be planned without looking up anything in the Harmony software. The idea is to match commands in the Kodi keymap with a corresponding button on the remote.

Below is an example starter keymap for a Harmony 650. This keymap covers most of the essential commands for navigation and playback and is a good launching point for a more elaborate key design.

Click here for a complete list of Kodi keyboard commands.

eHome: Basic Keymap – Harmony 650:

Basic Keymap Command List:

Harmony --> Kodi Command --> Device

*Cust (Start) --> Start Kodi --> Win + # (SE)
Cust (Quit) --> Quit Kodi --> Alt + F4 (MCE)
Cust (Full) --> Fullscreen --> Tab (MCE)
Cust (Codec) --> Codec Info --> O (MCE)
Menu > Shutdown Menu > S (MCE)
Exit --> Back --> Backspace (MCE)
Info --> Info --> I (MCE)
Guide --> Contextual Menu --> C (MCE)
Up Arrow --> Jump to Top --> Home (MCE)
Down Arrow --> Previous or Home --> Esc (MCE)
Cust (Watched) --> Watched Status --> W (MCE)
Cust (Item Up) --> Move Item Up --> U (MCE)
Up --> Up --> DirectionUp (SE)
Down --> Down --> DirectionDown (SE)
Left --> Left --> DirectionLeft (SE)
Right --> Right --> DirectionRight (SE)
Channel Up --> Page Up --> ChannelUp (SE)
Channel Down --> Page Down --> ChannelDown (SE)
OK --> OK --> Enter (SE)
Prev --> Player Controls --> M (MCE)
Play --> Play --> Play (SE)
Stop --> Stop --> Stop (SE)
Rewind --> Rewind --> Rewind (SE)
Fast Forward --> Fast Forward --> FastForward (SE)
Skip Back --> Skip Backward --> , (MCE)
Skip Forward --> Skip Forward --> . (MCE)
Pause --> Pause --> Pause (SE)
0 to 9 --> Number Keys --> 0 to 9 (MCE)

*Start Kodi – The command Win + # is a means of opening a program in Windows. The # refers to the program's position on the Taskbar. Pressing Win + 3, for example, would open the third item on the Windows Taskbar.

Advanced Configuration – keyboard.xml

It is possible to add commands not included in the list of Kodi keyboard controls by creating a file called a keyboard.xml. For example, if I wanted a command to return to the home screen, I would add the following to my keyboard.xml:

keyboard.xml:

<keymap>
<global>
<keyboard>
<esc mod="ctrl">ActivateWindow(home)</esc>
</keyboard>
</global>
</keymap>

The entry in the Harmony software would look like this:

Down Arrow (Harmony) --> Home --> Cntrl+Esc (SE)

If I wanted to map commands already assigned to other keys for specific circumstances, such as fullscreen playback, subsections could be added:

<keymap>
<FullScreenVideo>
<keyboard>
<home>subtitledelay</home>
<esc>AudioNextLanguage</esc>
</keyboard>
</FullScreenVideo>
</keymap>

The above file should be created in a text editor such as Notepad or Notepad++ and saved as keyboard.xml. The .xml must be stored at the following location:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\keymaps

Click here for a complete list of Kodi Action IDs.
Click here for a complete list of Kodi built-in functions.

More information on the formatting and contents of a keyboard.xml can be found here.

Link: Another take on how to bind a key to a custom command.

Although I have the Harmony "Ultimate" (with the Hub that comes with it), just to get an idea of how this whole thing works as described in this post above, If I correctly follow the directions here with regards to the "Custom Activities" setup directions and then "Required Devices", say for example if I had the "Harmony 650" model remote, would I then be able to use my "Harmony 650" to control Kodi and all of the buttons labeled in the image would work as is (ie based on the button mapping in the image, everything would work including each button without having to perform any other setup steps or programming the remote). Since I have the Harmony "Ultimate" version instead of the Harmony 650, should I just trust the process of these steps and then "test" out my Harmony "Ultimate" by pressing some of the buttons on the remote (after following the directions in this post of course) and seeing what it does within Kodi to see if my Harmony Ultimate maps out all of the functions described in the Harmony 650 image in the above post (and also to see and discover which buttons/functions my Harmony Ultimate is not able to map)

In other words, when you say "here is a Starter Keymap" when you posted the image with what each button on the Harmony 650 will be able to do with Kodi, does that mean that by going into "Customer Activities" then "Required Devices" and follow the directions in your post above, then the "Starter Keymap" you describe will automatically enable the Harmony remote to start controlling Kodi without having to do anymore setup steps?
i have no idea about any of this just want to go to a beginners forum..search wont let me..please help?
(2015-10-13, 16:45)HTFanatic Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-03-08, 07:25)Warner306 Wrote: [ -> ]4. CREATING A KODI ACTIVITY – MICROSOFT eHOME DEVICES

By this point, two devices should be added to your Harmony profile:
  • MCE Keyboard
  • Windows Media Center SE
Adding an Activity

MyHarmony:
  • Choose Custom activity and follow the on-screen instructions.
Legacy Software:

From the Activities tab:
  1. Select Manual Activity;
  2. Choose Utility;
  3. Generic Activity;
  4. Add Required Devices;
  5. Complete Set-up.
Power On and Off – Only one device should be used to power the system on and off. I recommend Windows Media Center SE for this purpose. Leaving the computer off when not in use is the recommended setting. The Off state may be wake from sleep/hibernate, or wake from a power off state if your motherboard supports this.

Customizing Buttons – Harmony Keymap

To customize the remote, commands from the Kodi keymap must be matched to commands for a device in the Harmony database. Most key commands (e.g. "I") can be matched directly to the MCE Keyboard, so this process can usually be planned without looking up anything in the Harmony software. The idea is to match commands in the Kodi keymap with a corresponding button on the remote.

Below is an example starter keymap for a Harmony 650. This keymap covers most of the essential commands for navigation and playback and is a good launching point for a more elaborate key design.

Click here for a complete list of Kodi keyboard commands.

eHome: Basic Keymap – Harmony 650:

Basic Keymap Command List:

Harmony --> Kodi Command --> Device

*Cust (Start) --> Start Kodi --> Win + # (SE)
Cust (Quit) --> Quit Kodi --> Alt + F4 (MCE)
Cust (Full) --> Fullscreen --> Tab (MCE)
Cust (Codec) --> Codec Info --> O (MCE)
Menu > Shutdown Menu > S (MCE)
Exit --> Back --> Backspace (MCE)
Info --> Info --> I (MCE)
Guide --> Contextual Menu --> C (MCE)
Up Arrow --> Jump to Top --> Home (MCE)
Down Arrow --> Previous or Home --> Esc (MCE)
Cust (Watched) --> Watched Status --> W (MCE)
Cust (Item Up) --> Move Item Up --> U (MCE)
Up --> Up --> DirectionUp (SE)
Down --> Down --> DirectionDown (SE)
Left --> Left --> DirectionLeft (SE)
Right --> Right --> DirectionRight (SE)
Channel Up --> Page Up --> ChannelUp (SE)
Channel Down --> Page Down --> ChannelDown (SE)
OK --> OK --> Enter (SE)
Prev --> Player Controls --> M (MCE)
Play --> Play --> Play (SE)
Stop --> Stop --> Stop (SE)
Rewind --> Rewind --> Rewind (SE)
Fast Forward --> Fast Forward --> FastForward (SE)
Skip Back --> Skip Backward --> , (MCE)
Skip Forward --> Skip Forward --> . (MCE)
Pause --> Pause --> Pause (SE)
0 to 9 --> Number Keys --> 0 to 9 (MCE)

*Start Kodi – The command Win + # is a means of opening a program in Windows. The # refers to the program's position on the Taskbar. Pressing Win + 3, for example, would open the third item on the Windows Taskbar.

Advanced Configuration – keyboard.xml

It is possible to add commands not included in the list of Kodi keyboard controls by creating a file called a keyboard.xml. For example, if I wanted a command to return to the home screen, I would add the following to my keyboard.xml:

keyboard.xml:

<keymap>
<global>
<keyboard>
<esc mod="ctrl">ActivateWindow(home)</esc>
</keyboard>
</global>
</keymap>

The entry in the Harmony software would look like this:

Down Arrow (Harmony) --> Home --> Cntrl+Esc (SE)

If I wanted to map commands already assigned to other keys for specific circumstances, such as fullscreen playback, subsections could be added:

<keymap>
<FullScreenVideo>
<keyboard>
<home>subtitledelay</home>
<esc>AudioNextLanguage</esc>
</keyboard>
</FullScreenVideo>
</keymap>

The above file should be created in a text editor such as Notepad or Notepad++ and saved as keyboard.xml. The .xml must be stored at the following location:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\keymaps

Click here for a complete list of Kodi Action IDs.
Click here for a complete list of Kodi built-in functions.

More information on the formatting and contents of a keyboard.xml can be found here.

Link: Another take on how to bind a key to a custom command.

Although I have the Harmony "Ultimate" (with the Hub that comes with it), just to get an idea of how this whole thing works as described in this post above, If I correctly follow the directions here with regards to the "Custom Activities" setup directions and then "Required Devices", say for example if I had the "Harmony 650" model remote, would I then be able to use my "Harmony 650" to control Kodi and all of the buttons labeled in the image would work as is (ie based on the button mapping in the image, everything would work including each button without having to perform any other setup steps or programming the remote). Since I have the Harmony "Ultimate" version instead of the Harmony 650, should I just trust the process of these steps and then "test" out my Harmony "Ultimate" by pressing some of the buttons on the remote (after following the directions in this post of course) and seeing what it does within Kodi to see if my Harmony Ultimate maps out all of the functions described in the Harmony 650 image in the above post (and also to see and discover which buttons/functions my Harmony Ultimate is not able to map)

In other words, when you say "here is a Starter Keymap" when you posted the image with what each button on the Harmony 650 will be able to do with Kodi, does that mean that by going into "Customer Activities" then "Required Devices" and follow the directions in your post above, then the "Starter Keymap" you describe will automatically enable the Harmony remote to start controlling Kodi without having to do anymore setup steps?

You can set-up the buttons for the Ultimate in your head. The devices will be the same and you will probably want all of the commands listed. But you will have to decide for yourself where each key goes (Play, Pause, Rewind, etc.). All Harmony remotes are the same, but each has its own button layout.
Your guide outlines what I am looking to do but with a home theatre setup located in the other room. I have MINIX-8H, Apple Tv and TV Box that I access through a ELAN HC4 controller. Presently As I use 'g-Mobile 7' app on android/apple pad to turn run the MINIX, Apple and TV Box. KORE works well once into KODI.

The remote connects via WiFi to the Controller so the Harmony One is not applicable (IR).

Is there a IR to WIFI peripheral that you know of?

Presently not real streamlined so the ability to use the Harmony One would be excellent BUT I think it is not practical from what I can tell.

If you had any comments I would really appreciate it.

Regards,

David
(2015-10-31, 00:30)Tinggi Wrote: [ -> ]Your guide outlines what I am looking to do but with a home theatre setup located in the other room. I have MINIX-8H, Apple Tv and TV Box that I access through a ELAN HC4 controller. Presently As I use 'g-Mobile 7' app on android/apple pad to turn run the MINIX, Apple and TV Box. KORE works well once into KODI.

The remote connects via WiFi to the Controller so the Harmony One is not applicable (IR).

Is there a IR to WIFI peripheral that you know of?

Presently not real streamlined so the ability to use the Harmony One would be excellent BUT I think it is not practical from what I can tell.

If you had any comments I would really appreciate it.

Regards,

David

IR repeaters for the Harmony are available, but you would have to upgrade your remote. RF-capable remotes send wi-fi signals and the receiver/receivers take the RF commands from the remote and translate them to IR commands for the nearby equipment.

The Harmony Ultimate most likely has this functionality, as well as older Harmony models with RF capability, which can be bought used.
Kind of the direction I was thinking I need to go! So if upgrading to RF Logitech remote is required for RF capability now I ask myself if it may be better to just put the money in to the new NEEO remote. From what I read it would be a pretty simple to set up and may even be a better choice.(not taking anything away from Harmony One as they are very simple to run).

Thanks for the thoughts.

David
(2015-11-01, 20:57)Tinggi Wrote: [ -> ]Kind of the direction I was thinking I need to go! So if upgrading to RF Logitech remote is required for RF capability now I ask myself if it may be better to just put the money in to the new NEEO remote. From what I read it would be a pretty simple to set up and may even be a better choice.(not taking anything away from Harmony One as they are very simple to run).

Thanks for the thoughts.

David

Can the NEEO control Kodi or a HTPC?
It is very new. From what I read it is purported to be the most advanced Universal Remote available. Now to confirm if it will control KODI or HTPC is the next question.

As I am pretty green at this I will need to dig further. It may be that the Logitech equipment may be the best choice.

Again, thanks for the support. What part of Canada?

David
(2015-11-02, 02:09)Tinggi Wrote: [ -> ]It is very new. From what I read it is purported to be the most advanced Universal Remote available. Now to confirm if it will control KODI or HTPC is the next question.

As I am pretty green at this I will need to dig further. It may be that the Logitech equipment may be the best choice.

Again, thanks for the support. What part of Canada?

David

I am from Saskatchewan. The universal remote market has become so small. It would be nice to have new options. Harmony is great, but they are almost a monopoly.
Hi Warner306,

This is by far the best guide i have found online to setup the harmony remote with XBMC. Thank you for taking time and effort for doing this.

I am also trying to set up my Harmony Ultimate with Kodi 15.2 Isengard which i upgraded last night. But I can't get Harmony to work with this IR receiver with Microsoft Windows Media Center CE in MyHarmony Software.

Below is my set-up:
HTPC: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Kodi: 15.2 Isengard
Remote: Harmony Ultimate
Pic#1Image
IR Receiver: came with Hauppauge WinTV HVR 1265 TV tuner card which is installed in PCI Express slot of same HTPC.
Pic#2 Image

I can this IR receiver as a Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver in device manager.
Pic#3Image

I then added both the devices, Microsoft MCE Keyboard and Microsoft Windows Media Center CE in MyHarmony Software.
Pic#4Image

created a Activity in MyHarmony software called "Kodi"
Pic#5 Image
Pic#6 Image

Then I customized the activity to launch the "Kodi" which i pinned to taskbar at # 1 position.
Pic#7 Image
Pic#8 Image

I also tried to set up the buttons to work as win+1, Alt+F4 and also direction keys with arrow keys but Logitech remote is not able to send any signals to this IR receivers. All these commands like win+1, Alt+F4 are working with the wireless keyboard i have.
Pic#9 Image
Pic#10 Image
Pic#11 Image

The remote that came with Hauppauge WinTV HVR 1265 work perfectly well with WinTv8 application to watch the Over the Air TV on HTPC.

I am not sure if I am missing anything. How would I debug this and make it working? I don't want to use the wireless keyboard for Kodi.

Any pointers/help will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
(2015-11-23, 04:23)SeattleMaverick Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Warner306,

This is by far the best guide i have found online to setup the harmony remote with XBMC. Thank you for taking time and effort for doing this.

I am also trying to set up my Harmony Ultimate with Kodi 15.2 Isengard which i upgraded last night. But I can't get Harmony to work with this IR receiver with Microsoft Windows Media Center CE in MyHarmony Software.

Below is my set-up:
HTPC: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Kodi: 15.2 Isengard
Remote: Harmony Ultimate
Pic#1Image
IR Receiver: came with Hauppauge WinTV HVR 1265 TV tuner card which is installed in PCI Express slot of same HTPC.
Pic#2 Image

I can this IR receiver as a Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver in device manager.
Pic#3Image

I then added both the devices, Microsoft MCE Keyboard and Microsoft Windows Media Center CE in MyHarmony Software.
Pic#4Image

created a Activity in MyHarmony software called "Kodi"
Pic#5 Image
Pic#6 Image

Then I customized the activity to launch the "Kodi" which i pinned to taskbar at # 1 position.
Pic#7 Image
Pic#8 Image

I also tried to set up the buttons to work as win+1, Alt+F4 and also direction keys with arrow keys but Logitech remote is not able to send any signals to this IR receivers. All these commands like win+1, Alt+F4 are working with the wireless keyboard i have.
Pic#9 Image
Pic#10 Image
Pic#11 Image

The remote that came with Hauppauge WinTV HVR 1265 work perfectly well with WinTv8 application to watch the Over the Air TV on HTPC.

I am not sure if I am missing anything. How would I debug this and make it working? I don't want to use the wireless keyboard for Kodi.

Any pointers/help will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

I did a Google search of that receiver and came up with this: https://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-R...-p/1045773.

The poster suggests the receiver is RC5 rather than RC6, which means it uses older technology and won't accept MCE commands. His solution was to treat the receiver as a non-eHome device and use a Hauppauge device from the Harmony database.

Media Center PC --> Hauppauge --> WinTV-HVR-1265

Or

Manufacturer: Hauppauge
Model: WinTV-HVR-1265

If this works, you would have to follow the instructions for non-eHome devices in this guide, which may include converting some commands in the Hauppauge database to other Kodi commands of your liking using a keyboard.xml.
Not sure if this thread is monitored but I'm having trouble with my Harmony One and OpenElec + Kodi on an Intel NUC. I used the Harmony software to set everything up. I also added the MCE keyboard so I could do things like TAB (remove the menu from the main screen), O key (codec information), etc.The only difference between my setup and the instructions is that I selected "Intel NUC" as my device rather than a Windows MCE. I thought everything was fine because I could navigate through the menus, pause playback, play playback, and fast forward/rewind.

The problem I'm seeing is that none of the keyboard commands work and the stop button doesn't work. Anyone run into this oddity? Should I just follow the instructions and stop pretending I know better?

As an FYI the Intel NUC comes with it's own IR thingy so I didn't purchase anything else.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29