Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HOW TO - Configure a Logitech Harmony Remote for Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
I'm having a bit of an issue with my setup.

I setup everything like the first post says, I have a Harmony One remote I use a Phillips-Dell OVU412002/00 as the IR receiver but I ALSO use a Logitech K400 Wireless Keyboard/Touchpad when I need to do something System/Windows related. But there are times where I think the Dell RC6 receiver and the Logitech receiver for the keyboard interfere with each other. I'll just be browsing a list of media where controls seem to lock up on both remote and keyboard and I have to restart to fix it. Another annoying thing is whenever I have to power on (due to a power outage) or restart the computer I have to unplug the RC6 receiver and plug it back in every time.

I'm just wondering if anyone has discovered a solution where I can have an easy, Universal remote like a Harmony AND a wireless keyboard share the SAME receiving port somehow.
(2016-01-06, 22:39)Choppasmith Wrote: [ -> ]I'm having a bit of an issue with my setup.

I setup everything like the first post says, I have a Harmony One remote I use a Phillips-Dell OVU412002/00 as the IR receiver but I ALSO use a Logitech K400 Wireless Keyboard/Touchpad when I need to do something System/Windows related. But there are times where I think the Dell RC6 receiver and the Logitech receiver for the keyboard interfere with each other. I'll just be browsing a list of media where controls seem to lock up on both remote and keyboard and I have to restart to fix it. Another annoying thing is whenever I have to power on (due to a power outage) or restart the computer I have to unplug the RC6 receiver and plug it back in every time.

I'm just wondering if anyone has discovered a solution where I can have an easy, Universal remote like a Harmony AND a wireless keyboard share the SAME receiving port somehow.

The keyboard is Wi-Fi and the IR receiver is infrared, so I can't see why they would interfere with each other.

I would guess the IR receiver is faulty, because you shouldn't have to reinstall it after a power off, but I just don't know.
(2016-01-05, 04:44)Warner306 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-04, 23:15)jaochoo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-03, 03:11)Warner306 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure where to go next. You would have to use as many of the commands read by Kodi as possible to create a keyboard.xml.
So you mean I'm mapping it to the wrong Kodi commands i.e. VolumeUp and VolumeDown are not the right Kodi commands to use for volume up and volume down? Or how exactly do you mean "use as many of the commands read by Kodi as possible"?

You might have to throw out the volume commands and use others. Any command could be set to change the volume. Or, buy an external IR receiver like the ones shown in post #1.
Could you give me an example of other Kodi commands which can change the volume and how to use it? Btw: the volume buttons are working fine in Windows. Volume up button turns up the volume, volume down button turns down the volume, mute button toggles mute/unmute.
(2016-01-08, 00:13)jaochoo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-05, 04:44)Warner306 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-04, 23:15)jaochoo Wrote: [ -> ]So you mean I'm mapping it to the wrong Kodi commands i.e. VolumeUp and VolumeDown are not the right Kodi commands to use for volume up and volume down? Or how exactly do you mean "use as many of the commands read by Kodi as possible"?

You might have to throw out the volume commands and use others. Any command could be set to change the volume. Or, buy an external IR receiver like the ones shown in post #1.
Could you give me an example of other Kodi commands which can change the volume and how to use it? Btw: the volume buttons are working fine in Windows. Volume up button turns up the volume, volume down button turns down the volume, mute button toggles mute/unmute.

VolumeUp
VolumeDown

Those are the commands defined as built-in functions. Choose a key that is read and give it one of those commands.
(2016-01-08, 02:39)Warner306 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-08, 00:13)jaochoo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-05, 04:44)Warner306 Wrote: [ -> ]You might have to throw out the volume commands and use others. Any command could be set to change the volume. Or, buy an external IR receiver like the ones shown in post #1.

VolumeUp
VolumeDown

Those are the commands defined as built-in functions. Choose a key that is read and give it one of those commands.
I'm already using that as a workaround, but I want to use the actual volume up and volume down buttons of my remote for turning up/down the volume.

Any idea why the buttons are working properly in Windows but not in Kodi?
(2016-01-08, 21:58)jaochoo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-08, 02:39)Warner306 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-08, 00:13)jaochoo Wrote: [ -> ]Could you give me an example of other Kodi commands which can change the volume and how to use it? Btw: the volume buttons are working fine in Windows. Volume up button turns up the volume, volume down button turns down the volume, mute button toggles mute/unmute.

VolumeUp
VolumeDown

I'm already using that as a workaround, but I want to use the actual volume up and volume down buttons of my remote for turning up/down the volume.

Any idea why the buttons are working properly in Windows but not in Kodi?

The volume commands are different keys in Kodi.
Hi All

Just wanted to say thanks to Warner for setting up this guide it has saved me tearing out what's left of my hair.

Running an HTPC on windows 10 home with Microsoft A9O-00007 IR receiver and a Harmony 555 remote. I have set everything up as per the guide in the harmony software with MCE Keyboard and Windows Media Center SE as devices along with my TV and logitech surround system. Created activities for TV and Kodi and programmed the Kodi activity with the Basic Keymap Command List: as per the guide.

The issue I am having is that I can start Kodi with the remote and use the four buttons either side of the lcd screen to navigate and use functions, however none of the other keys on my remote work in Kodi for (play, stop, menu, back, arrow up, down, left, right etc.). I have kind of hit a blonde moment now where I am looking through the harmony software to try and figure out what I have set up wrong or if I am missing something.

Any ideas would be greatly appreaciated as I'm almost at the finishing line and falling at the last hurdle, Thanks!
Iam using a Android Orbsmart S82 with a Logitech Harmony 350 and all works fine.

Great tutorial!
Hi, are there any direct commands to enter Movies, TV Shows, Pictures and other menus without going through the Home screen first? Thank you!

EDIT:

To answer my own question: You can! By creating a keyboard.xml file in the appropriate location with something like this in it:

<keymap>
<global>
<keyboard>
<o>ActivateWindow(Videos,MovieTitles)</o>
<i>ActivateWindow(Videos,TVShowTitles)</i>
<l>ActivateWindow(Music,Artists)</l>
<j>ActivateWindow(Settings)</j>
</keyboard>
</global>
</keymap>
(2016-01-13, 16:16)LaRocK Wrote: [ -> ]Hi All

Just wanted to say thanks to Warner for setting up this guide it has saved me tearing out what's left of my hair.

Running an HTPC on windows 10 home with Microsoft A9O-00007 IR receiver and a Harmony 555 remote. I have set everything up as per the guide in the harmony software with MCE Keyboard and Windows Media Center SE as devices along with my TV and logitech surround system. Created activities for TV and Kodi and programmed the Kodi activity with the Basic Keymap Command List: as per the guide.

The issue I am having is that I can start Kodi with the remote and use the four buttons either side of the lcd screen to navigate and use functions, however none of the other keys on my remote work in Kodi for (play, stop, menu, back, arrow up, down, left, right etc.). I have kind of hit a blonde moment now where I am looking through the harmony software to try and figure out what I have set up wrong or if I am missing something.

Any ideas would be greatly appreaciated as I'm almost at the finishing line and falling at the last hurdle, Thanks!

It sounds like your IR receiver is not an eHome receiver. Open the Device Manager in Windows and see if your receiver is listed as a Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver under Human Interface Devices. This would explain why these commands are not read correctly, as they only work with true eHome receivers.

If you have the original remote, you could confirm which keys are sent out by using showkey.
(2016-01-13, 23:40)Warner306 Wrote: [ -> ]It sounds like your IR receiver is not an eHome receiver. Open the Device Manager in Windows and see if your receiver is listed as a Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver under Human Interface Devices. This would explain why these commands are not read correctly, as they only work with true eHome receivers.

If you have the original remote, you could confirm which keys are sent out by using showkey.

Thanks Warner, I checked the device manager under Human Interface Devices and it's listed in device manager as 'Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver' in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers Section there is 'eHome Infrared Receiver'

I have the original remote so should I use showkey to discover what the keys are an edit them in the Harmony remote software accordingly?
(2016-01-14, 00:09)LaRocK Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-13, 23:40)Warner306 Wrote: [ -> ]It sounds like your IR receiver is not an eHome receiver. Open the Device Manager in Windows and see if your receiver is listed as a Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver under Human Interface Devices. This would explain why these commands are not read correctly, as they only work with true eHome receivers.

Thanks Warner, I checked the device manager under Human Interface Devices and it's listed in device manager as 'Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver' in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers Section there is 'eHome Infrared Receiver'

I have the original remote so should I use showkey to discover what the keys are an edit them in the Harmony remote software accordingly?

Yes, definitely use showkey to ensure the correct keystrokes are being sent.
Hi Warner 306,

Does this "Keymap Editor" add on for Kodi do everything for you so you therefore do not need
to use this thread to configure your Harmony Ultimate to run Kodi?

Here is the link to the Keymap Editor for Kodi addon that I am referring to. Thank you.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...ht=harmony
(2016-01-15, 21:55)HTFanatic Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Warner 306,

Does this "Keymap Editor" add on for Kodi do everything for you so you therefore do not need
to use this thread to configure your Harmony Ultimate to run Kodi?

Here is the link to the Keymap Editor for Kodi addon that I am referring to. Thank you.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...ht=harmony

I'm guessing it automatically creates a keyboard.xml. You might as well try it; I don't think it alters the registry like some key editors.

I would prefer to do it the manual way to ensure the keyboard.xml is exactly as I want it. But this would avoid the step of using showkey to determine the presses of each button on your remote.

Note: This is most useful for non-eHome receivers. eHome receivers don't need this utility at all. It would be easier to go into the Harmony software and choose each command on your own.
I have a small problem I hope someone can help me with, or point me in the right direction.

I have the following setup:
1) Beelink pocket P1
2) unbranded IR receiver/remote (http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/y1...s-l225.jpg)
3) TV
4) Surround set
5) Logitech Harmony Ultimate
6) unrelated stuff

So far I have managed to set up everything ok, however, I want to be able to control Kodi via the remote.
I have installed:
1) TV
2) surround set
3) Microsoft Windows Media Centre SE
4) Microsoft MCE keyboard

I setup MCE keyboard commands on the hard buttons and checked with showkey, but I do not see any recognition and I can not check if the blaster emits the commands. Kodi does not respond at all to programmed MCE commands.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong and/or how to resolve this?
Kind regards,

Freek
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29