Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How do i copy my amber set up to reinstate with a system backup?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
More specifically....

I have a Fire TV (not really important to the question) with KODI 14.2... and I have the amber skin set up vertically with a lot of my favorites enabled as the main menu selections.

I have changed the background pictures for each of those main menu selections and that process is a little arduous and takes a bit of time to re-set up after say a system crash or setting up a new fire tv or fire tv stick.... I have the XBMC/KODI backup add on which does its job well for settings and add ons and saving the actual favorites and generic skin....

But it loads into a generic confluence skin and then when you change the skin to amber... it does not save the specific way i have set up the favorites as the main menu or the backgrounds that i have assigned to them... It would be very helpful if someone knew if/where there is a specific file that i can point the back up program to include in its back up process...(i beleive there is a way to add 2 extra paths) or if i can copy that file and just paste it into the new/reinstated set ups....?

Any help would be appreciated...

And side note... Thank you for updating amber to work with KODI!!!
If anyone knows that would be greatly helpful... I believe it was to do with the GUIsettings.xml... but would appreciate it if anyone knows how to do it specifically... I am trying to find out as well from the BACKUP forum.... linked here....

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1950907
SOLUTION....

This would probably work for any skin settings as it worked for my custom Amber set up, Its not exactly easy but.... it is a solution none the less....at least for android users...(Fire TV for me... and Fire TV Stick)

I beleive you can just copy the addons and userdata folders to the kodi system folders while kodi is not running and get the same result as doing a system restore...but what actually worked for me....was...

Note: the reason a system backup doesnt restore all the skin custom settings is i believe the guisettings.xml file reads and writes over on startup and shutdown (rudimentary understanding)... So when you copy the GUIsettings.xml file over the current one, you have to hit FORCE STOP in the app manager on FIRE TV

STEPS:
Ran the BACKUP addon upon first run of KODI 14.2 (same version as the one i backed up) and restored my desired backup file...

Side loaded ES File Explorer 3... easily findable with a google search....***important to turn on Show Hidden Files option in settings*** (took me a while to figure that out...)

Watched a video on you tube on how to navigate to the desired folders within the android setup (again searched GUIsettings.xml on youtube)

I actually linked up my google drive account to the ES file explorer and stored the copied GUIsettings.xml from the fully set up KODI with amber configured how I like it....(I used file manager within KODI to copy the guisettings.xml found in my userdata folder to a folder on my SMB external HDD which i then moved to my google drive account)

From there, I just copied the fully configured guisettings.xml from my google drive account over the guisettings.xml file in my newly restored KODI and.... VOILA..... my set up was revived... Smile Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinRoflRoflRofl

Been trying to figure this one out for a while.... Im very happy... haha... I hope this helps some others...