Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Selling loaded XBMC/KODI boxes legal?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok so im sick of it everytime you try to look for a stock android box on ebay or amazon or you name it all these preloaded boxes with kodi and all these addons pop up and the sellers are making hundreds and hundreds of bucks on them. I love kodi and it's sad to be associated with things these sellers claim i will do.i was wondering if doing such a thing is even legal and if its not why are they still allowed to sell on all these websites?
I would have assumed that selling the box with pirated material pre-installed would be considered as 'distribution of pitrated material', no? If so, then at least here in the UK it's highly illegal. To be honest, I'm not sure how some of these sellers have got away with it for so long, especially when they have such a big social media presence of users constantly asking where they can illegally stream the upcoming big sporting event or the latest Hollywood blockbuster that they don't want to spend £10 to go and see in the cinema. You'd think someone in the entertainment industry could have caught on to these celebrity-wanna-be sellers by now, but I'm afraid not.
I have the same thread on reddit cuz im so upset and they made a very valid argument there: "selling a preloaded box is not illegal....the end user can be liable for copyright issues if they access/download copyrighted content......just like if I sell a gun and if the legitimate buyer then decides to use it in a hold up. Not my problem. Same with preloaded boxes." I guess its in a grey zone. But still can't KODI close listings everywhere?

Edit: btw i know rules are stricter in the uk and ppl are still finding ways...
It's a violation of our trademark. Unfortunately, it's pretty difficult to enforce our trademark on eBay, as we somewhat have to rely on the kindness of whichever representative gets out takedown request. And it's also pretty difficult to enforce the trademark outside the U.S.
(2015-03-20, 20:09)natethomas Wrote: [ -> ]It's a violation of our trademark. Unfortunately, it's pretty difficult to enforce our trademark on eBay, as we somewhat have to rely on the kindness of whichever representative gets out takedown request. And it's also pretty difficult to enforce the trademark outside the U.S.

So what about all the other sites like amazon newegg there are hundreds of listings... If you need to talk to a representative about every singoe one of them... Not good.
(2015-03-20, 20:09)natethomas Wrote: [ -> ]It's a violation of our trademark. Unfortunately, it's pretty difficult to enforce our trademark on eBay, as we somewhat have to rely on the kindness of whichever representative gets out takedown request. And it's also pretty difficult to enforce the trademark outside the U.S.

Hi can you confirm something please.. I can see that you are saying that it is a violation of your trademark but I was looking at buying and selling the new Intel PC on a stick with Kodi auto launched via kodi launcher.

The idea is that they can connect this to their lounge room PC as an easier way to access all the media files like music, photos, home movies etc plus free content like YouTube, free to air tv etc.

Is that illegal as well?? It is a windows PC just with kodi installed.

The biggest issue people have atm is trying to access all their media files from the one place.

I would not be advertising any of the illegal content that is available.

Please advise as I wouldn't want to start something that might be against trademark.

Sam.
It's OK if you install Kodi as-found on our website without any alterations, pre-installed addons or repos. So in short it should be empty as if the user would download and install it by himself from our website.
(2015-07-01, 22:22)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]It's OK if you install Kodi as-found on our website without any alterations, pre-installed addons or repos. So in short it should be empty as if the user would download and install it by himself from our website.

Thanks for the quick reply.. ok that makes sense...

Without getting into the technicalities can it be customized as in install the AMBER skin, add the You Tube Addons, tune in radio, pandora etc. Those addons that stream free media ?? FTA addons etc..

I think KODI is the best media center software for the lounge room.. Do KODI provide a letter or is there a document I can include with my Invoice/Website stating what KODI is for, how it should be used and any other use "illegal" is the users responsibility?

I guess I want to make sure that I as the seller when I sell my media centre PC with KODI i want to make sure that I am doing everything above board..

Hope that makes sense..

Cheers.

Sam
We clearly state that you may not pre install anything. No skins, no youtube
(2015-07-02, 06:35)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]We clearly state that you may not pre install anything. No skins, no youtube

Ok thanks Martjin - good to know.

Can you point me to the T&C - I looked on your website but couldn't find it.

Cheers.
It should also be linked on the website
(2015-07-02, 06:35)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]We clearly state that you may not pre install anything. No skins, no youtube
Quote: If you want to ship add-ons, skins or other extensions installed by default or as part of the same installation process as the XBMC Foundation products, and you plan on distributing them under any XBMC Foundation Marks, you must first seek approval from us. What we find acceptable will depend on the effect of the add-ons, skins and other extensions on the XBMC Foundation product. To give examples, changing the skin of one product to another, equally high-quality and aesthetically pleasing skin would be considered. A combination of various add-ons with intrusive pop-up boxes, with loud and distracting UI sounds, probably wouldn't be. See our Partners page to find out more about contacting us to discuss your proposed changes.

Does not compute. Huh
it clearly states
Quote: you must first seek approval from us.

and i can tell you you won't get any approval at this moment. Too many are abusing the Kodi name and as such all will be blocked even with best intentions.
(2015-07-02, 09:40)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]it clearly states
Quote: you must first seek approval from us.
Thanks, I can read.
So it's anything but clear.
Pages: 1 2