Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Tuner, Live TV, & Recordings Sharing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got many Kodi instances running on various computers. I know how to do the following:

1. share videos through upnp
2. get an ASTC tuner working on one Kodi with NextPVR. works good.

What I'm missing is this:

1. tuner sharing through Kodi (I don't think it can be done)
2. share recorded TV from one Kodi to another

Is there a way to link two or more Kodi so that the Live TV instances all use the same tuner and recordings folder?

Thanks

Will
I'm still researching all this stuff myself but from what i seem to have found you should be able to do tuner sharing through Kodi, although in order to achieve this you would need a network tuner with upnp streaming that supports multi-channel watching - I think the HDHomerun Extend is one such device.

In terms of sharing recorded programs I think it would come down to saving them on a shared location.

For example, i share my movies and tv shows via upnp from my HTPC - when i setup my Live TV recording my intention is to setup an additional folder labelled recorded, which will store all my recorded content, which i can then share like any other file through upnp.

I still consider myself very much a novice at this kind of stuff so please don't take my work as gospel, but i think it should be right unless anyone can point out something i have got wrong.
1. tuner sharing: is typically not done through KODI but through the PVR backend, in your case NextPVR, which is a server in your local network. I do it with Tvheadend and share one tuner, which is attached to my NAS, to several installations of KODI in my house. Just point your different KODI installations to the IP address of the computer running NextPVR.

2. share videos and recorded TV: as pointed out by mikeyb83 save them on a shared location, accessible by your Kodi instances. In my case I save everyting on my NAS and share it through file sharing, using nfs and smb protocols but not upnp.
Right now I'm paying $100 for Directv and $67 for Comcast internet. I was looking at HDhomrun prime or Ceton. I can pay $23 more on my internet and get TV. Sounds like a no brainer. my big problem is getting the wife to ease into the new setup. She doesn't like change.

So the big question is HDhomerun or Ceton?

Thanks for the help.

Will
Check out the hdhomerun alone on the recent release of the official add-on.
Is the 3 vs 6 tuner a big deal. I guess I could just get two HDhomerun
Back in the day when Comcast was still sending expanded basic analog in the clear, my setup was the original HDHR dual ATSC/QAM tuner and a PVR-500 (handled by mythtv) and I rarely had more than two tuners active at any given time, even taking into account myth's insanely flexible scheduler. I'd recommend starting with three. Also, Silicon's history of support for the OSS hobbyist market and recent intro of the View plugin would keep me from even considering the Ceton. They even cross-shipped me a replacement device when I got bit by the faulty power supply issue with the early batches.
Kodi does not share the recordings or livetv, the backend does. if you have one kodi machine setup to access your backend, then set up your other kodi machines the same.