Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi and a beginning of DDOS activity...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have actually a big problem with Kodi use. I have put my XBMC/Kodi repository on my server several years ago, and for personal reasons I have decided 2 months ago to stop providing support to my add-on and remove the repository files from my server. The problem is that actually, all the XBMC applications that have previously installed my repository, still try to access the addons.xml.md5 and addons.xml files. So my first question is how indicate to XBMC to stop try to access to my server? I'm actually talking about around 2500 connections per minute from XBMC/Kodi software.

One year ago, when my repository still active, connections was under 500 per minute. Two months ago the number of connections was around 1000 per minute. What I don't understand is why this number of connection as increased now to 2500 per minute when my repository install file is not anymore accessible? Did something change during last months into the way Kodi try to access repositories? It looks like the connection have increased exponentially since October 2014.

My server was ok at 1000 connections per minute, but actually it start to be more and more slow due to all those undesired connections, and affect all the other services hosted on this server. Changing domain name is not a solution.

Do you have any suggestion or idea to solve this problem? Confused
Because kodi keeps retrying when the file is not there.
Put back your repo, push out a Repo addon update which contains no Repo url anymore and mark the Repo as broken. Then wait till everyone has the updated repo
Ok... Thank you for the advice. I will try to put this in place.
I hope this solves it for you. I wouldn't know any other way to get rid of the calls to the server
Angelscry firstly thanks so very much for add-on previously provided in your repo. I was personally disappointed when you pulled add-on from your repo.

For your info I have a couple of devices that were using your excellent add-on that provided so much benefit and because you have resurrected add-on in past, I left everything in place in case you ever re-enabled add-on WinkCool I imagine many other happy users did same as me. Anyway, just to advise when you have put above advice in place if its helpful I can run checks for you if you wish/need.

Thanks once again for previous excellent add-on. Smile
(2015-03-23, 16:36)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]I hope this solves it for you. I wouldn't know any other way to get rid of the calls to the server
Five days have now passed since the repository add and modification. And actually the number of requests is constantly decreasing. So I think it's actually doing the job. Thank you for your help.

(2015-03-28, 03:05)Angelscry Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-03-23, 16:36)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]I hope this solves it for you. I wouldn't know any other way to get rid of the calls to the server
Five days have now passed since the repository add and modification. And actually the number of requests is constantly decreasing. So I think it's actually doing the job. Thank you for your help.

Awesome Smile
As someone could be one day into the same situation than me, here is how I have proceeded.

I have created a new version for the repository containing only this xml file :

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<addons>
<addon id="repository.angelscry.xbmc-plugins" name="Angelscry Repository" version="1.2.5" provider-name="Angelscry">
    <extension point="xbmc.addon.repository" name="Angelscry Repository">
        <summary>The maintainer of this addon marked it as broken</summary>
        <description>The maintainer of this addon marked it as broken. Reason: addon is no more supported.</description>
        <platform>all</platform>
        <language/>
        <broken>Reason: addon is no more supported.</broken>
    </extension>
</addon>
</addons>