Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Best Value PVR
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Internet Service Provider: Metronet Fiber IPTV with CAT 5e from the wall to a STB.
HTPC: Asus Chromebox OPENELEC 5.0.6 Kodi 14.2

I do not own any DVR equipment.

What is the most economical solution (Hardware and Software) to get DVR functionality?

It seems I need to choose linux software: Tvheadend, VDR, MythTV, DVBLink (To use Openelec/kodi as my frontend and backend)

I also need to some sort of hardware or dongle to that does tuning to the signal which can read the ISP encryption (if any)? Can I replace the ISP STB? is there any tuner that does CAT 5e IPTV? Most devices I've seen have coaxial.

If I try to use my Asus chromebox as frontend and backend I would just plug an external drive in to store recordings.

I could get EPG from Schedules Direct unless anyone knows a better one?

Thanks! Any help is appreciated. I am trying to read information scattered around the forums. I know nothing of this topic.
IPTV doesn't require a tuner, it is, after all, IPTV!
hmm so i can just plug it in the back of the asus chromebox? Maybe I will try that. What if it is encrypted or something. I wonder if the simple client will work.
Dunno about encryption, is cablecard useful?
I plugged my CAT 5e TV service into my asus chromebox. I am not quite sure how to watch TV. I installed ip simple client. I can't for the life of me find a thread that talks about using iptv from service providers.

do i have to set up the chromebox as a frontend and a backend or something? how does this work? My internet/tv provider is Metronet, has one done this before?