Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodibuntu minimal install requirements?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to install Kodibuntu to an 8GB usb drive. The install is booting off a 2GB usb drive.

The install ran out of disk space as it uses 4gb of the drive for swap leaving 4gb usuable which it fills up and then bombs out with "subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2." So what are the real minimum disk requirements, or am I completely missing something?

Kodibuntu minimal disk requirements from the wiki:

Minimum: 4 to 8GB
Recommended: 16GB or more
Do manual partitioning and don't create a swap partition or create a smaller one.
Doing that now. I'm reading the wiki pages now about cleaning up disk space but it only touches on kodi specific files. Do you know if there is anything about removing parts of ubuntu that aren't necessary to run kodi? 4+ GB just seems excessive for a single purpose server or maybe I'm just old. Thanks!
Yeah I would use a separate stick for the swap partition. It's already a pretty small image, it doesn't even include lx terminal.
How much ram do you have? You might not even need swap.
Just echoing what been said here and expanding with with some personal findings.

Anything 2GB ram or better you wont need swap, you would only need swap if compiling kodi from source, were by if you had 4GB ram you need at least and extra 500MB swap due to the new linker gcc will exust the 4GB ram in some kodi compilation.

Compilation aside, you will need space for install + a persistence partition on the usb drive for kodibuntu to be able to save settings. But here is the clencher.

You can install kodibuntu to a small usb drive but if you have a large library your thumbnails folder will consume the space on userdata (wiki) very fast and then you may actually run out of space.

So here is my 2 pence and on wiki I tried many times to increase these minimal requirements, but after meeting some resistance on trying this several times I gave up out of frustration, but if any one has patiente to deal with such politics and feels a justification to add some footnote to wiki I think then all parties would be satisfied. Just dont ask me to do it.
Actually, the wiki now states 1GB as the minimal recommendation for RAM, which is what you wanted. Since BCHD was dropped, it was no longer practical to mention the absolute minimal of 256 MB of RAM (which is technically still true).