Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Best PVR Backend Option Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
At the moment I am running a Windows 8.1 PC with server WMC + Kodi, with a 4x DVB-S2 tuner powered by DVBLink (UK Freesat). I then use other Kodi instances around the house (NUC's etc) to connect in so as to get the same TV experience, watched programs tracking etc. It works very well but their a few niggles I am not sure how long until the niggles becomes problems... DVBLink have changed the new version so EPGs costs more, Windows 10 may not have WMC in it and the WTV format is not ideal when watching a program while being recorded. I have looked at switching to something else in the past but it seems WMC mostly came out on top. The other thing is I don't want to spend hours breaking my media setup while I test different platforms so I thought the awesome people you all are could give me some options Big Grin

What I would like is...
The wife needs to be able to use it (from Kodi)
Windows based
Recorded shows in a format which is more supported eg M2TS or MP4 to save any transcoding, as I may move it to my MicroServer
Series linking which works reliably
Easy EPG setup
Timeshift
The ability to watch a show that is being recorded and catch up to live.

I don't mind paying a little if needed, I own DVB Link 4.x and DVB Viewer (Is the backend to that any good?).

Thanks!
Hi

I used to be completely reliant on WMC but not at all now. At first I used WMC for TV and then XBMC for media but eventually progressed to fully using Kodi and DVBLink as my backend and it works perfectly. Series record works perfectly using Confluence but I also have it working using Aeon MQ5 skin and I also have the abilitly to set recordings from my phone using the DVBLink Android app.

All in all I'd ditch WMC and using Kodi solely
What is the time shifting like with DVBLink and how good is the Kodi addon?
The only downside I've noticed is rewinding during a live stream to be very flaky. Everything else is as expected
Media portal TV server with the djblu sky EPG grabbing is fantastic as a backend. Had it working relliably for a year now and it updates new channels and transponder changes automatically. Have it working with timeshift flawless in kodi 15, haven't done much recording though so can't vouch for that. Works for FTA channels too (freesat). The icing on the cake is it downloads all the channel icons automatically Smile
(2015-04-12, 12:04)oliroe Wrote: [ -> ]The only downside I've noticed is rewinding during a live stream to be very flaky. Everything else is as expected

I think I've read that Kodi 16 will hopefully fix this.
(2015-04-02, 22:06)ScorpioJonesy Wrote: [ -> ]What is the time shifting like with DVBLink and how good is the Kodi addon?

You could always try the PVR addon on one of your machines? Just enable it, enter the IP address of your server and away you go.

I would also recommend upgrading to DVBLink 5.5. Much better performance in my opinion.
Since this was posted I have gone to Win 10 with DVB Link and Kodi. It works well so far but when I can be bothered I am going to pop in a new temp drive and install a couple of the other PVR Kodi backend solutions to see how they stack up.