Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Execute XBMC/Kodi Addon via email Ex. IP Camera popup on motion alarm
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

I have a cheap Chinese IP Camera at my doorstep and I have integrated with XBMC by following this guide.... http://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/index.p...ay-add-on/

It currently works fine when I press a button on the remote control it will pop-up the overlay on the screen or when I run a JSON script from any web browser it will also bring up the overlay for a few seconds.

I have read about others setting up wireless door bell buttons or even wiring doorbell contacts into stand alone microcontrollers and sending scripts to XBMC to activate the overlay. I have not gone down that path yet but I was wondering....

The camera has a motion detection alarm settings integrated into the camera and when the alarm is triggered by motion it is currently recording video and save still images to my NAS. There are options for storing images via FTP and also sending E-Mail messages with the pictures attached. I know its far fetched but I am wondering if perhaps someone had implemented a simple SMTP server script for XBMC and when it receives a message it would search the subject line for keywords and execute specific addons. This way I could easily trigger the camera overlay addon directly from the camera itself and bypassing the need for any other hardware.