Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: OS X, ATV3 and iOS remote
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

This is my first post, so I'd just like to say thank you all in advance. This is a great community.

My question is quite a specific one, and I have searched for it without any luck. Essentially, I want to run xbmc on a hackintosh computer, that will be located upstairs. I want to view xbmc on the TV downstairs. I have an Apple TV 3 which I can use AirPlay (extended display) to run xbmc on. Im pretty sure I can set xbmc to open only on the extended display (I think). My question is, can I control xbmc using an iOS app, while it is being displayed on the Apple TV 3 in extended mode, while still using the Mac for other things on the other monitors? Has anyone tried this? If so, some feedback would be nice. What is the quality like using this extended display mode when running xbmc? Also, is there a way to automate the process of AirPlay through the xbmc remotes available? Or is it much more advisable to run a long hdmi cable?

I have seen Plexconnect which would be ideal if only xbmc had something similar?!

Many thanks,

Will
I wouldn't recommend the airplay solution if you are trying to be serious. I also wouldn't think that the mac is 100% correctly usable while kodi is running (most common problem are focus related, means if kodi doesn't have the focus because you are working in a different program it might only be usable through an remote app (which might work ok). But i guess you will see the mac menu on the screen.

No really get some dedicated htpc box for your tv (either an rbpi2 or something like that). I think it will save you from some extra frustration with the setup you are looking for.
Yeah, I have looked at some of the dedicated boxes. Do you have to install xbmc on them as an OS or is it an app that runs on them? Do I need a windows pc to do this or can I use a Mac? I wanted to try and do it without purchasing any additional hardware but like you say, it might save a lot of headaches. I'm living in the uk and have managed to get a few addons working, was hoping tvcatchup was working but from what I have read it's not working at the moment.

How much maintenance does a kodi system need then? Do addons often go offline or is this quite rare?

Thanks again

Will
Get a Pi2 mate, throw OpenElec on it and you're good to go. £30 quid and you're done, fleabay have even got a USB remote that is real plug and play for under a fiver delivered.
Isn't the Pi2 restricted in the video formats it can play? I have a host of films in my iTunes library which I homeshare at the moment to the Apple TV 3 (the films aren't from the iTunes Store so not protected). Is there an addon that'll let me browse these films and play them like with the Apple TV. Will the Pi2 play 5.1 surround sound? (I will be putting it through a Yamaha AV Reciever).
The Pi2 can actually play more formats than an Apple TV 3 can. If it works on the ATV3 and doesn't have protection then it should play just fine on the a Pi or Pi 2.

I don't know if there is an add-on that will browse videos shared using iTunes homeshare, but you can enable file sharing along side of homesharing and Kodi will see that.

The Pi2 will play multichannel sound and work with audio receivers.