Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is there a 'Best' Wifi dongle for the Pi 2B ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Until I got my Pi 2B, my only experience with Wifi was the internal units in my laptops.

I've got the Element 14 Wi-Pi dongle and it seems to work well, but it sticks out quite a bit
more than the stubby little nano versions from Plugable and others, which resemble the 2.4
Ghz dongles for keyboards & mice.

The size isn't so important to me as reliable signal strength, as my Pi will say goodbye
to the AC socket as soon as possible.

Has anyone here done any comparative tests on various dongles ? Subjective opinions?
Lemons? Lemonade?

Is the larger size dongle the result of a better antennae, or just older tech?
Useful thread here.

BTW: if you want the best video playback then use an ethernet cable.
Even the best wifi will likely give you buffering on occasions (neighbours using their wifi, or microwave on, etc...)
You are unlikely to have reliable high bitrate 1080p over wifi.
PCM- thanks much for that great link, I didn't know there was another forum just for OE err, Rolleyes OpenELEC...

It looks like the Edimax 7811 came out ahead, altho his tests didn't give maximum reliable distance (something I'd have included) and it was odd that the 7811 came out tops over the TP-Link TL-WN823N, who's signal was 100% over the 7811's 80-85%, but only ranked 4th and at the same price point. Actually the Edimax seems to have dropped a bit in price lately too...

I need to remember to not search only on Pi 2B.

Kinda OT: imho, KODI & OpenELEC, and the Pi itself, are prime examples of the really brilliant stuff the linux community can achieve, when it is well-focussed on a goal and isn't squabbling over distros and such.
So I read the locked thread, and was encouraged from the start, and discouraged by the end as I'm not sure what the answer is:

Does Edimax EW-7811UTC work with the new Pi 2 Model B running OpenELEC?

Or, is this another reason to drop OpenELEC (the first reason being no supported game pads a la xboxdrv Xbox360 controller)?
(2015-08-24, 20:14)bs0d Wrote: [ -> ]So I read the locked thread, and was encouraged from the start, and discouraged by the end as I'm not sure what the answer is:

Or, is this another reason to drop OpenELEC (the first reason being no supported game pads a la xboxdrv Xbox360 controller)?

It works on 2.4GHz. 5GHz will connect and provide good bandwidth but has dropout problems which make watching live content unbearable. A fix for the 5GHz dropouts may or may not be included in the Beta Isengard versions. I have not personally tried it yet and have not seen a reliable source claiming the issue has been resolved.
(2015-08-28, 17:23)Shazb0t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-08-24, 20:14)bs0d Wrote: [ -> ]So I read the locked thread, and was encouraged from the start, and discouraged by the end as I'm not sure what the answer is:

It works on 2.4GHz. 5GHz will connect and provide good bandwidth but has dropout problems which make watching live content unbearable. A fix for the 5GHz dropouts may or may not be included in the Beta Isengard versions. I have not personally tried it yet and have not seen a reliable source claiming the issue has been resolved.

What I think you forgot to say is that this an 'AC' issue. I'm using this adapter @ 5GHz with a dual-band N router. No problems.