Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Hardware - On a low, low budget.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys.

I've been using XBMC/KODI on my trusty old Dell vostro 200s for 5 years now. It runs like shit off a stick but the wife has decided that she no longer likes the look of the machine under the TV.

I don't run any games or use it for the internet. It boots right into Kodi via windows 7 and I stream my movies from my NAS drives.

I'm based in the UK and I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on the cheapest possible way to run Kodi without the use of a PC

It needs:
1080P HDMI support (although I do have a 4k TV)
Can run with a remote control
Needs to be discreet

Any recommendations will be appreciated!
Pi2? its very low cost and will handle 1080p perfectly fine.
Pi2 is great, but true cost is $70 or so (board + case + 16GB mSD + VC-1/MPEG2 codecs). Also, another few bucks if you need USB IR remote dongle.
I have seen one of these things from China. Comes pre-installed with Kodi and even has it's own remote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Latest-XBMC-Ko...43dadc78d2
have a read on this first post
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=94268

(offtopic - the amount of users asking this question daily just says to me that the sticky isn't doing its job, I think it needs a change of something so the sticky is more prominent)

whats your max budget?
most boxes from china (and the one you linked to) run on android. have a read of that thread I linked to. (first post) dont get android it wont give you the best picture quality and its not ideal for europeans (refresh rate etc)

Kodi is always changing so choose a box that has communnity support behind it. This way you got talented devs/experts always working to make that hardware/platform better faster and have the latest updates. Which is better in the long run. I got my Pi1 2 years ago and its leaps and bounds better than when I first got it.

The Pi2 and chromebox check those boxes.

EDIT also I would say that since you've been using an x86 machine for the last 5 years(to run Kodi) I believe you would find those android boxes to slow. mainly because your conditioned to expect certain amount of performance and also quality. with android boxes you will have stuff like missing frames, picture judder (pull down) and this might be unsettling for you (as it is for many)
I always recommend android boxes for kodi for people on a budget. Although with your 4k, I would try to steer you to a chrome box. $160 for the asus one, which is the favorite around here because its fan seems to be the quietest.

If you want to go android there are a few I like. If budget is the biggest factor, go for one with a rock chip 3188 chipset. You should find these for like $50. They have been around and work perfectly. I still have a few and I really like them.

Nexus player ($100) is nice and very easy to use, but has some frustrating limitations. They can be overcome. If you want to use it for more than streaming, I wouldn't get this one with out a nas for your media. Then it's pretty sweet.

I've had very high hopes for rock chip 3288 boxes, usually about $100. These are still a little new and some have issues still. I think with kodi updates or better drivers these will soon be great. But I would be cautious having one for your main box.

I'd love to hear others recommendations for more affordable boxes. Let's hear them.
For about $34-$40 with a power supply and HDMI cable and more, you should have a serious look at the MK808B Plus.
Amlogic Hardware, which is well supported and it will even decode the new H265 codec.

STICKY STICKY STICKY THREAD:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=94268
LMAO why is everyone quoting in $'s? He's from UK. US prices don't really mean anything here.
It still means a value in £. You don't look at $ and see £ values in your head? Come on, it's not that hard...
(2015-04-17, 00:25)Cfgraven Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-03-25, 04:14)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-03-25, 01:29)Cfgraven Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, I'm currently looking into getting a device to use kodi with

Don't have a big budget £60 max

would like to use x265 HEVC mkv, x264 mkv files, from my usb hard drive, and also to stream using wifi etc..

I would be looking for something with that has an Amlogic SOC, as devices with these seem to be well supported in the Open Source community. Bee-Link seem to make some decent quality gear.
http://www.bee-link.com/en/

You could look at the MK808B Plus (first page of this thread)

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=210220

or the recently released S82 Plus:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=216083

Just wanted to say thanks again for the suggestion, I bought it a while ago and just arrived today took a bit to get here but managed to get it for £30 with a controller from gearbest
Anyways really liking it so far but just one issue I have so far is that on kodi the x265 files i try to play lags but yet with the media player or xbmc (older version) it plays just fine no lag at all plays perfectly is there any solution for kodi? If anyone knows
not a massive issue because they do play fine on xbmc
Thanks

I can recommend mk808b plus because its a great price very portable and performs very well
So if anyone is wanting to get one of these devices but on a budget then go for the mk808b plus

The other option in the UK is the £35.00 Amazon Fire TV stick
(2015-04-17, 18:39)albertstroh77 Wrote: [ -> ]It still means a value in £. You don't look at $ and see £ values in your head? Come on, it's not that hard...
Its not a matter of just conversion. (straight dollar to pound). In UK the convention for pricing is with VAT (unless otherwise stated) I believe in US its without VAT.

the chromebox you mentioned you priced at $160
google says thats £107.07, I've got a post that you can get the chromebox for £133
but the price for chromebox from amazon right now is £190
thats $283
can you why I said its pointless to mention prices in $'s?
I guess you are right but we don't know UK prices. That is the only reference I have. Just trying to be helpful.
AFTV Stick or Pi2.

However, just crazy idea, any way to hide it? You could then get a RF remote control so no direct pointing is necessary.
ATFV Stick comes with a bluetooth remote and the Pi2 has CEC. The FLIRC also works when placed behind a TV when I tested.
Pages: 1 2