Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Tablet as media player
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Im thinking of replacing my old media player (Xtramer Ultra) with this: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/...50749.html

The main reason im changing it is that its getting slow and im looking for something that will do DTS-HD and TrueHD, im just wondering if the Intel Z3735F will be able to do that, can anyone who has a similar device let me know?
Do you need a screen built in? Of not, why not a chromebox?
I could move it around the house, i have a media server at home, and it would be good to have my amazon collection with me.
Those Baytrail-T SoCs in the Windows 8.1 with Bing tablets and Mini PCs don't currently bitstream HD Audio in Windows. You are limited to bitstreaming DD/DD+/DTS and 7.1 PCM. Newer Kodi builds may well losslessly decode True HD and DTS HD MA to 7.1 PCM though - as there are now open source decoder for both codecs (the Pi 2 builds have DTS HD MA decode now)

I have a Pipo X7 which is a mini-PC based on the same SoC. It's tricky to get Linux or OpenElec to run, but it is possible (they have 32 bit UEFI "BIOS"S without legacy boot but have 64 bit CPUs) However there was no HDMI Audio support at all when I tried. That said, the Intel Compute Stick is based on the same SoC series and offers a Linux variant, so hopefully the HDMI Audio will be fixed soon and that may include HD Audio potentially I guess?
That's a disappointment, i just tried my cousin's tablet which is a Dell Venue 11 Pro (Core I5) and i was mind blown, it played every audio format i threw at it, its a great media player/PDF/email device but im not gonna spend 500$ for a media player, my budget is 250$.
The original Baytrail Desktop Celerons initially didn't have HD Audio support in Windows, but it arrived with a later driver update I think. So it isn't definitely a lost cause. And things should get interesting when Intel release the Linux drivers for the Baytrail SoCs in these tablets as part of the Compute Stick launch (which is happening now I think?)

Could be interesting.

One thing to be aware of is that some of the devices using these chips haven't properly sorted out cooling - so the SoCs thermally throttle and slow down massively when under stress. Tablets may do better than mini-PCs in this regard I suspect - as they will need to have some thought given to cooling in normal use.
Yeah, i was browsing the forums and saw some posts about the updates, I'd love to have OpenElec on this but I'm too tired to go through the hassle of setting it up, specially on a no support Chinese tablet, still i guess it could be a worthwhile investment since i can get Windows XBMC + Android.