Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Video stutter on 3288 boxes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have had a rk3288 box for about four months now. It has been nothing but a frustration. I have tried everything I could possibly think of or read on the internet. Many times I've thought it was fixed but nothing has ever worked. The problem is there is a tiny audio and video stutter in Kodi, no mater what I do. It doesn't happen very often, but it is pretty consistent. I've always thought this would be the perfect box, but if it can't play a movie on kodi without stuttering, it isn't of any use to me. I have a dozen other little pc's for this, but it's always bummed me out this box won't work.

I think I may have found a solution last night. I found the following on a random forum. The guy that posted it said he was quoting from somewhere else. I can find the site if anyone really wants it.

Quote:
Try this to stop the stutter
From user vanzylst at freaktab
Might need to add init.d support to Openhour Chameleon ROM or use an app from the Play Store

'Good news people, I've found a software-only fix/workaround to the micro stutter problem

Just put the following in your init.d config file (or you can run it from the command line):
Code:

/system/bin/iptables -F bw_INPUT
/system/bin/iptables -F bw_OUTPUT

Now you can just use the internal Ethernet as you would normally, and you don't have to plug in a USB adapter.

The culprit seems to be the following iptables rules:
Code:

It looks like these rules are used by Android for some sort of bandwidth management (BandwidthController), but it's implemented in a way that hangs the system for a short period of time when it's doing its bandwidth management.

So far I think this has solved my problem. I have watched 2 movies this morning without a stutter. One a h.264 and one a h.265. Not sure which acceleration method I like yet, but the last movie was with the rklibstagefright and it looked great. Very smooth. Spmc definitely plays smoother than kodi for this box so far. Also tried the most recent kodi and some nightlies.

I'm not sure if there are others on here that have this same problem. If anyone does, I'd like to hear if this worked for you. Now that this box plays consistently I have pretty high hopes for it. It seems pretty powerful.

UPDATE:

After watching movies and TV all day I'm 99% sure this has solved my problem. Today this box has gone from useless to great. I'm pretty sure this is a very wide spread problem if you have this chipset and a 4.4 ROM. I don't know anyone that has one of these, other than me. After my problems with it, every one I know has avoided anything with this chipset. I'd love to hear how it's worked for others.