Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: live tv on android TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've installed kodi on my Hisense "smart" TV its running Android Jellybean 4.2.2 is there a way to integrate live TV into kodi using the inbuilt tuner in the TV? All the android discussions I can find seem to relate to smart phones and tablets. I haven't been able to find anything relating to a TV running android. Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Absolutely no way this would work.

You would need a PVR backend as a minimum and the tuner would have to be on the same box. Can't see how this would ever work.
I don't think Android has the required APIs for any application to interface with the TVs tuner. Support for that may be there in Android L but I haven't heard any real news about it in a while.
Android OS does run a Linux kernel so is is possible for Android firmware developers to add support Linux interfaces.

As a proof of concept checkout the CyanogenMOD 11 (KitKat) and 12 (Lollipop) Android firmware ROMs for WeTek Play, these support Tvheadend (Linux) server running on Android.

http://wetekforums.com/vb5/forum/wetek-p...di-live-tv

This can however of course not be added afterwards if support for it have not already been added to kernel and firmware.

(2015-04-21, 17:27)rlg6767 Wrote: [ -> ]You would need a PVR backend as a minimum and the tuner would have to be on the same box.
Yes you still need a PVR backend, and as above you can run Tvheadend (Linux) server on Android, but if the firmware and its kernel have support for it.

http://wetekforums.com/vb5/forum/wetek-p...di-live-tv

And yes this is Tvheadend (Linux) server software and Kodi for Android running on the same box at the same time.
That build only works because Wetek has taken the time to add support for their own tuners. Don't expect everyone shipping an Android TV to do the same.
(2015-04-23, 20:12)negge Wrote: [ -> ]That build only works because Wetek has taken the time to add support for their own tuners. Don't expect everyone shipping an Android TV to do the same.
You are of course right, I was just pointing out that it is not at all impossible or as improbably as rlg6767 comment suggests.

Any other set-top box manufacturer could also take the time to add the same support to their Android firmware if they had the intensive.

Perhaps the Kodi Team and XBMC Foundation could provide intensive by trying to convincing their all their sponsors to add the same support to their firmwares?

http://kodi.tv/xbmc-sponsor-page/

If some manufacturers like WeTek, Minix, and VidOn.me could start a new trend for this then others Android set-top box manufacturer might follow.
(2015-04-24, 11:54)RockerC Wrote: [ -> ]You are of course right, I was just pointing out that it is not at all impossible or as improbably as rlg6767 comment suggests.
Didn't mean to imply it was impossible, but its highly improbable that it will happen... ;-)
(2015-04-24, 18:10)rlg6767 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-04-24, 11:54)RockerC Wrote: [ -> ]You are of course right, I was just pointing out that it is not at all impossible or as improbably as rlg6767 comment suggests.
Didn't mean to imply it was impossible, but its highly improbable that it will happen... ;-)
Only if by saying improbable here you mean that the manufacturer HiSense will release a such firmware update supporting it on the original posters specific device. Original posters best chance to get this on this specific device would probably be to request third-party firmware developers on FreakTab.com forums to add V4L or DVB to the Linux kernel used on their firmware.

It might however not be so improbable that we will soon see more and more new Android devices released in the future with this support already added by manufacturers.
(2015-04-22, 08:09)negge Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think Android has the required APIs for any application to interface with the TVs tuner. Support for that may be there in Android L but I haven't heard any real news about it in a while.
Acctually, id does:
TV input framework (TIF)
and a source code (with doc) of Sample Android TV Channel App (TV Input) using TIF from Google.

I'm also looking for Kodi backend to support this API for use on Philips AndroidTV.