Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: live tv - still important flaws
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

After several attempts i finally decided to move totally to kodi and abandon MCE.

However, it still is inferior specially regarding TV:

- dvb-t subtitles not supported. Just incredible. The cheaper dvb-t receiver does that. This is a must. We can not say that kodi supports dvb-t if does n ot support the basics.

- when switching channels, the channel information bar shows more time the info of current channel (which im not interested in, im leaving it) than the channel im switching to. Quite absurd.

- i usually do not record tv cos i have no idea if what im seeing is being recorded or not. Just have a look at how win mce shows that. UX very questionable regarding tv recording. Looks also that if there is no epg data, no record. Ehm?

However, very good overall, as said i finally left win mce. I love nebula skin. Is near to be the best media center ever, but still lot to do...

Regards
Victor
(2015-04-27, 23:40)VictorG Wrote: [ -> ]- when switching channels, the channel information bar shows more time the info of current channel (which im not interested in, im leaving it) than the channel im switching to. Quite absurd.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Configuring_live_T...s#Playback

Set "Delay channel switch" to 250 ms. Enjoy.
1) I don't know what you mean by "DVB-T subtitles not supported". Subtitles are supported, although teletext subtitles have some issues unless you use tvheadend as backend.

2) you can also change how long the channel OSD stays visible from the settings

3) can you elaborate on this (recording UX)?
@VictorG I believe Dale Carnegie wrote a book you may benefit from.

But how about telling us what backend you are using?
(2015-04-28, 14:24)negge Wrote: [ -> ]1) I don't know what you mean by "DVB-T subtitles not supported". Subtitles are supported, although teletext subtitles have some issues unless you use tvheadend as backend.

I think with statement 2) VictorG is talking about the progressbar and time.
It's a little bit strange how it is now.
If I understand the issue on the channel switch, it's because it defaults to 5s display time. If you have a back end that takes a couple of seconds to switch, then yes - it'll pop up, then switch, then disappear, but maybe have the result of being on the 'before' channel longer than the 'after' one. You can tweak it through the settings, though: as negge said, make it longer (perhaps to absorb the switching delay), or use the setting lawin1 suggested to put some padding before beginning the switch.

In terms of the UI, if you're watching a programme that's recording then the OSD menu shows you that - it says "Currently Recording" in big, friendly letters, and the record button in the bottom right turns red. If you then stop watching that channel, recording continues and the recording symbol is shown next to the programme in the EPG views - so I'm not sure what the issue is here. Not saying it couldn't be better, but the functionality is clearly there. You get the same result if you've started the recording through Kodi or through the back end (I don't know what happens if you started recording on a different Kodi instance but the same back end - the same, I expect, as the backend maintains the 'what am I recording now/next' status).

(I know - you're all jealous of the quality and vast choice of UK day-time television...)

And the OP's final point is then related to time-based versus schedule-based recordings. If the addon and/or backend don't support "record channel xyz at xx:xx for xx minutes" then yes, you're limited to what's in the EPG, and it's probably a valid point that this could be done differently. I don't know how much is a Kodi issue because of the 'backend neutrality' or whether it's something that's ultimately backend-specific.
Upppsss!!!

I think I owe an apology over here....

I subscribed to the thread but notifications came to my junk folder. I did not see your kind answers and help until today!

DVB-T Subtitles
I came back to the thread because yesterday while playing around, I tried Live TV subtitles and... they worked! ahh! they were available! Confused It was the only remaining feature I was missing in order to definitely forget and replace my old windows Media Center!!

Initially I thought that was due to an upgrade to Isengard Beta... but after reading your comments, I have to say that I also changed PVR backend.

Also I have to say that my post was motivated after reading some other guys complaining about this feature missing, so at some point I assumed (maybe wrongly) that there was no subtitles for DVB-T Live TV. I do not remember the thread or the exact conditions of the issue. Kodi forum is very extensive, sometimes difficult for me to move around..

PVR Backend Issues

I was using Kodi with WMC PVR Backend. I thought it was the most straightforward way and also always had my MC there, ready. Lately the WMC PVR server was not working fine for me. Picture not fluid. I checked out everything, HW, SW... and finally decided to give a try to other PVR engines, just in case, but also as a way to prepare WMC for a deserved retirement.

I'm using MediaPortal PVR server now. That changed everything, even the:

Channel Switching issues

MediaPortal PVR server resulted in much faster channel switching for me, among many other improvements, picture quality etc. Combined with the Live TV settings for OSD, that fixed the issues. I was just doing try/error , cos I do not find easy to understand the logic behind those settings and OSD. Then I saw your comments here. But I'm still not intuitive to understand why and when OSD shows current channel or next channel info, jumps in between, etc. I think default settings maybe should be set differently. I appreciate your explanations though.

Finally:

Recording Live TV UI

Well I think I have to play little bit more with this...

@Prof Yaffle, Which skin is this? <- Confluence, I see

(edit) well i tried countless skins (I dont like any, call me weird) same pvr media portal. Recording functionality is totally erratic for me:

- I can only record current show if requested from tv guide.
- The record button in osd launches a timer for next show (wtf?).
- The record button on remote does nothing or at the most, same as above.
- The timer is not clearly shown as a recording operation, Is just a timer. Dont know if for recording, switching, or what.
- Majority of skins do not properly inform whether the show is being recorded or not.
- I found no way to manage or delete recordings using remote, like all context menus launched with mouse-right-key. I finally decided to map a key on the remote to perform the mouse-right-button, which is not a common operation on remotes => no proper button available.

We still needs improvements, i think...
(2015-04-28, 12:17)lawin1 Wrote: [ -> ]http://kodi.wiki/view/Configuring_live_T...s#Playback

Set "Delay channel switch" to 250 ms. Enjoy.

thanks

(2015-04-28, 14:24)negge Wrote: [ -> ]1) I don't know what you mean by "DVB-T subtitles not supported". Subtitles are supported, although teletext subtitles have some issues unless you use tvheadend as backend.

thanks mate

(2015-04-28, 14:49)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]@VictorG I believe Dale Carnegie wrote a book you may benefit from.

But how about telling us what backend you are using?

Big Grin I'll read it

(2015-04-28, 15:47)pĆ¼nktchen Wrote: [ -> ]

I think with statement 2) VictorG is talking about the progressbar and time.
It's a little bit strange how it is now.

I think that was not the issue I was referring, but.. you right. hehe. little odd feature.

(2015-04-28, 17:17)Prof Yaffle Wrote: [ -> ]If I understand the issue on the channel switch, it's because ...

...And the OP's final point is then related to time-based versus schedule-based recordings. If the addon and/or backend don't support "record channel xyz at xx:xx for xx minutes" then yes, you're limited to what's in the EPG, and it's probably a valid point that this could be done differently. I don't know how much is a Kodi issue because of the 'backend neutrality' or whether it's something that's ultimately backend-specific.

Thank you mate for your thorough explanations, appreciated, let me know about this nice osd..
(2015-06-14, 10:07)VictorG Wrote: [ -> ]Finally:

Recording Live TV UI

Well I think I have to play little bit more with this...

@Prof Yaffle, Which skin is this? <- Confluence, I see

(edit) well i tried countless skins (I dont like any, call me weird) same pvr media portal. Recording functionality is totally erratic for me:

- I can only record current show if requested from tv guide.
- The record button in osd launches a timer for next show (wtf?).
- The record button on remote does nothing or at the most, same as above.
- The timer is not clearly shown as a recording operation, Is just a timer. Dont know if for recording, switching, or what.
- Majority of skins do not properly inform whether the show is being recorded or not.
- I found no way to manage or delete recordings using remote, like all context menus launched with mouse-right-key. I finally decided to map a key on the remote to perform the mouse-right-button, which is not a common operation on remotes => no proper button available.

We still needs improvements, i think...
Follow these planned PVR API changes for series recording http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=227026

Also checkout the discussion and other thread links here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228588