Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: LG Magic Remote not functioning properly through Simplink
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

Enabled Simplink on my LG TV and for a short time I thought nothing worked, however the 4 coloured buttons (red, yellow, green and blue) worked and each was a shortcut to a menu (videos, music etc) but nothing else works
I tried following a tutorial which enabled debugging and SSH'ing into the raspberry pi, then I ran "tail -f ~pi/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log |grep OnKey:" which to no surprise only the coloured buttons would give a response everything else didn't do anything.

What can I do to map the rest?

Thanks.
Nothing. If CEC is not passed then you can not do anything. I have LG and remote control passes some button presses, it is not magic remote but an ordinary one.
Oh man.. Not so magic after all then lol. I'll have a research now for some remote controls for Kodie (Rasbmc) if that males a difference. Just taking a chance do you know of one which works good?
FLIRC seems like a good idea, although it might be a little restricted because the magic remote doesn't actually have many buttons.. As long as I can get the main navigation working though of be happy with that
Magic remote is not IR based but it is something like 2,4 and will not work through flirc as far as i know.
For Pi i like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIGICA-FM4-2-4GH...2347557df4

Search for my posts and you will find config file for it.
However your normal LG remote should work fine.
(2015-04-28, 14:40)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]However your normal LG remote should work fine.

Hi nickr,

Based from what I've said about my experience with the LG Magic Remote what should work fine? Just in case I've missed something.
(2015-04-28, 14:34)illiac4 Wrote: [ -> ]Magic remote is not IR based but it is something like 2,4 and will not work through flirc as far as i know.
For Pi i like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIGICA-FM4-2-4GH...2347557df4

Search for my posts and you will find config file for it.

Hi again,

Thanks for the input, doesn't seem like I can get that remote on either Amazon or eBay as I'm based in the UK. Also there aren't a great amount of buttons on that remote, have you found it at all restricting in any way? I've seen a few people complain that there CEC remotes don't have enough buttons so was just wondering
On one pi i am using lg remote with cec. I have made a few changeses by myself and fitted to my needs. Usualy you do not need so many buttons. AppleTV has had only 6 with two additional.
But as nickr said try normal remote from LG (not magic remote) this one should forward more button presses to cec. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=170538
On my LG (non magic) IR remote, play, stop, back, exit, left, right, up, down and pause all work with cec.
I had to set the play/pause RW/FF etc keys manually in the remote.xml for my normal LG remote, but could not get the coloured buttons to work. The other LG TV with the magic remote again I had to set the keys using remote.xml, since the magic remote does not have the play/pause etc I used the 4 colour keys which worked on the magic remote.

The navigation, back and select keys worked out of the box on both tv's
I managed to get the Magic Remote (AN-MR650) for my new LG Smart TV working to drive Kodi on my GeexBox using a Flirc. I posted details in a new thread here:

Kodi Forum Post

Regards, Clay
I fixed this by removing the input.

I then switched to to hdmi 2 input and pressed the "'remote" button on my magicremote.

All controls worked from then on!