Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: No HDMI on Chromebox with OpenELEC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone - I hope I'm posting in the right place, as I'm new to the site and to OpenELEC, but not new to Kodi. I purchased an Asus Chromebox - base version - on Friday and did a normal single boot install. Everything went smoothly and I've had zero problems until last night. I had already scanned all my media into the Kodi system and ran a second scan of my audio files to add a few new items into the library. Unfortunately, this caused the system to freeze. I left the system alone for about an hour, but when it became clear that it wasn't going to recover from this, I rebooted the Chromebox. Here's where the real problem happened. Upon rebooting, I've had no video or audio from the HDMI output. Nothing. I've now rebooted several times with no video being output. I've tried the wake monitor commands, various methods of unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging back in immediately upon boot, etc... I honestly don't even know if the system is booting at all, since I have no video. So, should I cut my losses and return the system for a new one? Does this sound like a hardware failure, or something I can remedy? It's worth noting that I'm running the HDMI cable directly from the Chromebox into a Panasonic ST60 Plasma - there's nothing in the signal chain between the two.

Thanks!
Check your settings. Maybe it got set to the other video output.
Otherwise post a debug log (wiki)
When I was going thru my stand-alone installation of OpenELEC, I had this issue. No video whatsoever when it was time to install to disk. I almost returned it. Turns out, is was the TV. The box was working fine, I just couldn't see it. I had to plug my box to a smaller screen that allowed me to change resolution to something smaller. Even with the smaller screen, I couldn't get any video until I powered both devices off and turned them both on at the same time. Then changed resolution to a smaller one.

Below was taken from Kodi Chromebox wiki :

Some TVs/displays are not able to show the developer boot screen due to the resolution it uses (1024x768 @ 60Hz), in which case you'll need to use a different display to complete the initial setup steps.Many TVs have overscan enabled by default, which will cut off the text display of the ChromeOS shell. Be sure to set your TV to a mode which does not overscan (varies by manufacturer - often called 'just scan', 'exact' 'pixel perfect').
Still no answer to this...mine has the same problem. It happenes everytime I power the system off. It boots up no video...I know it's on because I can hear the sounds if press the arrow keys. I have tried every combination of plugging in hdmi first then power...power then hdmi etc and nothing works consistently. Usually after 10+ attempt I magically get video again. I have found multiple people same issue and no answer.

August ideas?
Logs?

Have you tried another HDMI cable?

This is definitely not a problem I have had with either of my chromeboxes.
I've avoided the problem by leaving the chromebox turned on all the time - no problems, if I stick to that. What I've found it, however, is that if you unplug the chromebox, turn the tv off, turn the tv back on and then plug in and start the chromebox, that generally rectifies the issue. It's absolutely a hdmi handshake issue, to be sure. My TV is the most recent generation Panasonic plasma, so, depending on feedback from others, this might be a Panasonic handshake issue.
And yet none of you provide any logs. /var/log/Xorg.0.log would tell a lot.
I have the exact same problem, my box worked perfect for a week, now impossible to display on my Panasonic ST60...
I would post a log if I knew how , but this is a bit too advanced for me :-(
I now read on how to post a log, but how to do it if i can't see anything on my TV screen when I try to connect? when connecting to my PC screen no problems ...
SSH.