Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Install on USB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I am trying to find a way to install KODI directly onto a USB drive.

I know the download on the webpage seems to install fine onto a computer but what I want to do is install onto a USB.

Is there a way to do this?

I appreciate the help.
Just download an OpenELEC image, write it to a USB stick and boot it. You will be given the choice to install it or run it live. Choose the latter. Changes are saved and persist after a reboot.
Does it matter which "any" version you pick?
@nickr:

I know you have much more knowledge than me, but I can remember a discussion on IRC that not any setting will be saved after a reboot if you do it this way. Seo, I think you know him, has confirmed that. So I would recommend to put a second USB to the HTPC and choose this one as the location to install to.

What NedScott mentioned lately would be nice...an installer which overwrites itself on the stick. But IIRC neither OpenElec nor some Team Kodi provides any of those "installers".

At least there is a hint on the kodibuntu (wiki) wiki where a isntallation onto a USB is mentioned and explained.

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kod...ve_methods
I used a USB OE stick live for the first time the other day. I didn't spend much time with it. However I am sure settings were saved. As I say I didn't spend much time with it, so I might have the wrong end of the stick.

The problem with installing from one USB stick to the same USB stick is that you are using the booted OS to overwrite itself, a dangerous (if not fatal) exercise when you think about it. Luckily USB sticks are cheap.