Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MS says - no more MCE in Win 10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys

It seems MS has gone on the record stating no more MCE when it comes to Windows 10.
I'm curious what you all think? Are they going to change their mind at the last second again?
Here's the article: http://www.zdnet.com/article/rip-windows-media-center/
Bummer, who knows what they will decide in the next 5-10 years while Windows 7 and 8 will still be supported...
Windows 10 adoption is going to be much quicker because of free limited time upgrades.
Dear all!
I've been a user of Windows MediaCenter since XP-time, combined with the MyMovies.dk services for movies, and this has always worked great with the different TV-tuners I've used for PVR in the past. However, I'm an early adopter, and do of course wish to upgrade to Windows10 as soon as it comes out (already have the preview on my main computer). Seeing these news from Microsoft, dropping MediaCenter in Windows10, makes me having to change to another solution for the media-consumption on my HTPC's (I have one self-built with TV-tuner and one Intel NUC for pure consumption). XBMC/KODI seems to be the most valid solution going forward, however I'm afraid I'll lose some functionality.

Does KODI have full PVR capability, and can I keep my MyMovies database (run off my home built server with Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2?

What add-ins do I need to add to have full PVR capability with program listings (EPG?), series recording etc for my tuner card? Don't know if it matters, but my tuner is this: http://www.dvbshop.net/Mystique-TeCaBiX-...nux-HDTV_1

Support for HDTV from DVB/T2 is of course a requirement.

Thank you so much for all help!

/Preben
You do need a backend for your tuners. With Windows as a server it could be DVBviewer. Under Kodi you would need the pvr dvbviewer addon.

Series Recording is not comfortable at the moment. EPG and so on runs ok.

about the MyMovies database --> dont know
I already run my backend on a win 8.1 virtual machine and have no reason to update that to win 10 so mine will still be good for years to come ?
As a user of wmc/swmc, this just means that of the ten computers in the house I just don't upgrade my media server to win10. Most of these computers are still at win7, partly because win8 costs money and partly because I didn't want to hear complaints about how strange win8 is. Win10 looks like it will be nice though, so I plan on upgrading all the other pcs to win10 (can't beat free) they'll run kodi for media. The fact that the media server needs to stay at win7 seems of no consequence, as far as I can see win10 offers no advantages for media. Good old win7 support lasts until 2020, that might as well be a new age as far as tech goes.

The bummer about this for me is that my development pc (also my gaming pc) needs to stay at win7 to continue to develop for serverwmc. That sucks mightily. Hopefully we can find a solution for this.

I would have been nice if ms kept selling it, its not like they spend money on its development. Or it would be very cool if they released the source code but I am not holding my breath.
As long as they keep providing the guide data, doesn't really affect me. I wasn't planning on upgrading from Win7 anyway.
Krusty, you can always run a dev vm on win7 or win8 for development. VMWare player is free and works well
I haven't used a vm for a long time, but last I did I was frustrated by the slow performance. Maybe that's less of an issue these days. I'll try vmware.
(2015-05-07, 02:38)krustyreturns Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't used a vm for a long time, but last I did I was frustrated by the slow performance. Maybe that's less of an issue these days. I'll try vmware.
I feel your pain. My gaming pc is the central server and wmc box :/
Yes, win 10 looks nice.
I know this a bit old, but SageTV is reportedly going open source. Perhaps Krusty could shift dev to that project at some point?
I can just recommend switching to MediaPortal - works fine by itself and has a PVR Client for Kodi. I use both at home (MP on main htpc, Kodi distibuted on different Systems through the house).
I have yet to find a pvr software that works as well as wmc and if you have a cablecard other software is useless unless all channels are drm free. I will be sticking with Windows 8.1.
I switched to WMC from Sage when I moved into my new house a few years ago and subsequently decided to build a new server. Now that I have my Kodi/WMC server-client architecture running beautifully throughout my house, I'm not too prone to wanting to switch to something else. As long as I can keep my windows 7 server humming along (newly rebuilt again), I don't see too much changing. That is unless someone builds a killer Sage addon now that it is open source. Their recording logic was just superior to what I currently have with WMC, although WMC isn't too shabby.
Pages: 1 2