Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Constant hangs when seeking video
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On most but not all videos Kodi will constantly hang when seeking/skipping through video during playback. Usually one 'seek' is fine but skipping twice or will almost guarantee Kodi will freeze and hang. I can alleviate this sometimes by waiting several seconds before attempting another seek but sometimes even this won't work. Video playback itself is flawless. However, after a seek I will get mostly black/pixelated video frames for a few seconds until a full frame is redrawn.

When in a hung state Kodi is unresponsive for several minutes, eventually restarting the GUI and loading the landing screen. I cannot even SSH into the box during this hang.

This is before and after upgrading KodiBuntu to Ubuntu 15.04 (Vivid Vervet) with 3.19.0-16 kernel.

I never saw this problem in earlier XBMC releases, I cannot recall when this started but it was perhaps around about Frodo or later.

Debug log is here: http://xbmclogs.com/pk91kr9ic
Won't be fixed - v14 is EOL. Please install v15 nightly and revisit.
No change unfortunately. Kodi 15 beta has the same problem. Have not been able to get crash logs off the two occurrences of this issue since the upgrade .
Use a nightly. and provide some logs.
Looks like a problem in vdpau/gfx driver. How much gfx ram do you have?
256MB?

kodi@htpc:~$ sudo grep -i --color memory /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[ 38.683] (--) NVIDIA(0): Memory: 131072 kBytes
[ 38.728] (II) NVIDIA: Using 768.00 MB of virtual memory for indirect memory access.
[ 38.860] (==) NVIDIA(0): Disabling shared memory pixmaps
kodi@htpc:~$ sudo lspci -v -s 02:00.0
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation ION VGA (rev b1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 83e9
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 26
Memory at fa000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
Memory at f6000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
I/O ports at dc00 [size=128]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at fbde0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [68] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Kernel driver in use: nvidia
this might very well be the problem
I just downgraded to XBMCBuntu 11 and skipping/seeking on the same files works flawlessly. It skips directly to a full frame, without any degradation whatsoever, and continues playback smoothly. This is with +/- 10min and +/- 30 sec jumps as well as ffwd and rwnd. It's like night and day.

I then did an aptitude update to Frodo 12.2 that was available in the repository and that also is flawless. Frodo pretty much did everything I needed anyway so I guess I'll stop here.
Some other ff / rw changes are currently pending for v15, see: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/7146 - please retry with v15 after those are in. Thanks much.
That should fix it. Ive tested.
Oh well, after running Frodo without playback issues since I started this thread I've just tested an upgrade to 15.0. Same deal. Play video, skip ahead a few times, video and kodi freezes, can't even SSH to the box. I guess Frodo is where I stop upgrading. Obviously at some point video playback has been refactored and my hardware setup is no longer supported.