Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: OpenELEC/Kodi/NUC build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Finally put an order in for a NUC today, the build consists of the following:

NUC5i5RYH Core i5 NUC
Intel 530 120GB M.2 SSD
Crucial 4GB (1x4GB) DDR3L
Logitech K400R

Once it arrives I will be able to take some happy snaps of the full home theater setup. I will be using OpenELEC as the OS, yes there will be an abundance of space left on the SSD, but I have the ability to install Windows if need be down the track.

The plan will be to run everything completely wireless on 5GHz AC. Already have an ASUS AC wireless NIC in my computer and an ASUS DSL-AC68 modem/router and the NUC contains onboard AC wireless. The network speed should be suffice to run any encoded full blu-ray ripped movie with 5.1 DTS.

Anyone that is currently using a NUC, do you use the mini DP or mini HDMI port? I'm thinking of using the display port.

This is my file server for kodi:
(2015-05-13, 13:02)levi.baker88 Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone that is currently using a NUC, do you use the mini DP or mini HDMI port? I'm thinking of using the display port.

i'm using mini hdmi to hdmi cable, to avoid conversion. unless your tv or avr provide DP inputs which is not commun.
good luck with your build.Cool
Got the NUC in the mail and in the process of installing OpenELEC, which is being somewhat more painful than need be. Might even look at installing a full Linux build. What flavour of Linux do I need if I were to go down this path? Does Kodi only work on Ubuntu?
It works easiest with ubuntu (although much easier with openelec).

I wouldn't start with ubuntu myself though. I would install kodibuntu or one of the lesser *buntu's like xubuntu or lubuntu.
I think you commented on my issue in the OpenELEC forum too lol. I would have thought OpenELEC would have been easy too.
It is, install, reboot, go.

I may indeed have responded on the OS forum, I have the same username there. I can't recall the specifics though, and it is bed time!
Success, got everything working. Plays full Blu-ray rip movies with no stuttering or buffering, pretty stoked. Once I get the TV cabinet reorganised I will through some pics up.
sweet Big Grin
Congrats on getting up & running (I presume with Openelec for now?)

(2015-05-26, 22:20)levi.baker88 Wrote: [ -> ].... Might even look at installing a full Linux build. What flavour of Linux do I need if I were to go down this path? Does Kodi only work on Ubuntu?

I use Linux Mint (Cinammon V17.3 64 bit currently) on my NUC which gives you full PC capability (that's a lot of HP you have there just for KODI)
Linux Mint is very easy to install and if you are new to Linux, the 'feel' is reasonably similar to Windows. (like the Start Menu and Quick Launch Tooolbar)
And KODI install is very easy to install also.
I like the flexibility of having additional PC capability right there outside of the KODI interface - for example I have a subscription to my Soccer Team back in the UK to watch live and this is browser based.
And comes complete with many applications (office type programs etc) 'out of the box' and the capability to install any number of other applications.
And with your SSD, Linux boots really quickly.
Best part is of course it's free vs Windoze! Big Grin

If you download & run the installer, you can actually get a 'demo' mode without fully committing to the installation - so you can play around with it without permanently installing to your box - even installing apps like KODI! - of course whatever changes you do in that mode would be lost when you power it down - but gives you chance to get a good feel for it

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
I am running kodi 15.2 on a NUC6i6RYK, using Mint 17.3/Cinnamon 2.8. It works fine, and I love the speed. However, to my horror I discovered that if I SUSPEND it, there is a significant chance of bricking it-- it will not start, no matter what you do. The ONLY way to revive it is to disassemble it completely, and disconnect the little battery, and then put it all back together. This process is not for the faint of heart or inexperienced user with fat fingers. Several users, including ones that are using the same NUC6i5RYH that you are using, report the same brick-after-suspend problem. Intel has been unable (or unwilling?) to help so far, blaming iit on Linux.
I was wondering whether Levi experienced this same issue?
PS-- you can follow this sad thread at the Intel forum: https://communities.intel.com/message/362426#362426
Thanks for those links venik212 - it indeed seems prevalent on at least those models
I have the D54250 and it does not have a problem freezing as such, but I was grateful for the heads-up in on of the threads on the subject to go ahead & update my BIOS
Although I do not have the 'bricked' issue. as yet I am unable to figure out how to restart from KB or WOL - both KB and Wireless Adapter are USB based and it does not respond to either, although it restarts OK from the Power Button So I need to identify how to configure things so the USBs remain active in suspend mode.
But I really should not dilute this thread further with an unrelated question

post script: - found this excellent quide which enabled my wake on USB - KB
https://www.flynsarmy.com/2015/05/enabli...b-in-kodi/
No issues with it freezing at all on the D54250