Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: create folder.jpg
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How can I get EMM to generate folder.jpg?

I need this, because I like to see each movie folder as thumbnails in explorer.

Also does EMM need to generate poster.jpg for Kodi?
Is poster.jpg needed for Kodi?

I am also using another program "Media center master"
and it creates a poster.jpg instead of filename-poster.jpg.

Would it be better to create poster.jpg instead?

Been reading this..
http://kodi.wiki/view/Artwork
Activate expert under Settings-->File and sources-->Expert and fill a name for what ever you like
And no it's not needed for Kodi but if it exist it's used before <moviename>-poster.jpg
(2015-05-14, 11:32)T-bird_se Wrote: [ -> ]Activate expert under Settings-->File and sources-->Expert and fill a name for what ever you like
And no it's not needed for Kodi but if it exist it's used before <moviename>-poster.jpg

I am looking at the expert settings and how to do I get it to generate a folder.jpg as well as the normal poster images?

I want both.
Please show me how...

I don't understand why we should be messing with expert settings just to do this...
If I mess with this expert settings as you suggest, the filename won't be compatible with Kodi.

I am now force to use Media center master to rescrape the movies, so it can generate folder.jpg because it does it by default.
It also scrapes poster.jpg instead of <moviename>-poster.jpg.

======

Should EMM be coded with poster.jpg instead of <moviename>-poster.jpg ?

It would match with the same naming style as all the other filenames, also it would then support poster.jpg that was scraped with other programs.
-clearart.jpg
-fanart.jpg

etc..

What does Kodi prefer poster.jpg or <moviename>-poster.jpg?
I think it should be named as simply as the other images files.

There is no need to add <moviename> to any of those image files.

<moviename>-fanart.jpg

==
Also I think you should make it by default to generate a folder.jpg instead of getting people to fill in the expert settings, which many people won't know about.

folder.jpg should be generated by default, because when we browse the movies in explorer we like to see it as a thumbnail
and it looks more nicer.

Please update program to make
-folder.jpg should be generated by default (no need for expert settings)
Ember use the same file names for Frodo/Helix defaults like XBMC/Kodi use if you export the Kodi database to separate files.
(2015-05-14, 13:30)DanCooper Wrote: [ -> ]Ember use the same file names for Frodo/Helix defaults like XBMC/Kodi use if you export the Kodi database to separate files.

Shouldn't EMM generate folder.jpg by default?

We should not be messing with expert settings, since we might rename to something not compatible with Kodi?

I hope this gets fixed, because we like to look at nice thumbnails of the movie folders in explorer.

Media center master does this by default.

I am gonna re scrape with Media center master because it seems too much trouble to get EMM to create the folder.jpg
and also I don't know how to do it.

Can you fix this with the next update.
-Automatically generate folder.jpg
===

Is poster.jpg a better filename than movename-poster.jpg?
Seems out of place considering all other files are named simply...

e.g.
fanart, clearart..

Also if you support poster.jpg filename, it would be good
cos if other programs already scraped it and got a poster.jpg,
it would not be needed to be rescraped.
(2015-05-14, 13:28)madmax2 Wrote: [ -> ]There is no need to add <moviename> to any of those image files.

<moviename>-fanart.jpg

==
Also I think you should make it by default to generate a folder.jpg instead of getting people to fill in the expert settings, which many people won't know about.

folder.jpg should be generated by default, because when we browse the movies in explorer we like to see it as a thumbnail
and it looks more nicer.

You are talking out of your personal preference
There are users that have all movies stored in only one folder and for those it's mandatory to have <filename>-poster.jpg
Kodi is backward compatible with all old naming schemes including those whit .tbn extension
And clearart, logos etc are not stored in kodi DB by default when scraping new movies
So if you think you need it, use expert settings Wink
(2015-05-14, 14:19)T-bird_se Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-05-14, 13:28)madmax2 Wrote: [ -> ]There is no need to add <moviename> to any of those image files.

<moviename>-fanart.jpg

==

and it looks more nicer.

You are talking out of your personal preference
There are users that have all movies stored in only one folder and for those it's mandatory to have <filename>-poster.jpg
Kodi is backward compatible with all old naming schemes including those whit .tbn extension
And clearart, logos etc are not stored in kodi DB by default when scraping new movies
So if you think you need it, use expert settings Wink
What do you mean people store all movies under one folder?

do you mean?
movies/matrix1.mkv
movies/matrix2.mkv
movies/matrix3.mkv

Maybe there are some users who do that, but I think that would be more a minority than majority.

I think more people are likely to keep movies in each folder name.
So I don't think what I am saying is just my own preference, but it is common way to store movies by many people.

There is only two possible way to store movies..
-All movies in one folder (complete mess)
-Each movies in their own folder. (so how can it be my own preference? I am sure many people would do this than do the first option)

Many sites I read, recommend you should store each movie under their own folder.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=36935

e.g.
movies/forrest gump/forrestgump.mkv

Also if you say people keep movies all in one folder, then what is the point of scraping all those image files?
Won't they just get over written if they are all in the same folder

e.g. fanart.jpg would keep getting overwritten everytime it scrapes a new movie.

Also that one movie folder would be a complete mess.

Also we are talking about Kodi users here, since they are mainly the ones interested in scraping movies to make it look nice in their movie library.
Therefore there is higher chance they would be organising their movies in each separate folder structure.

Else they can just open all their movies in any media player.
No need to waste time, bandwidth to scrape movies at all.
Also how would they see all their movies images if all movies are in one folder then you can only have one filename in that one folder.
e.g. fanart.jpg, clearart.jpg etc..

Therefore logically
-If people are willing to scrape their movies to make it look nice in Kodi
then odds are they would likely be organising each movie filename in separate movie folders.
Else if they didn't care then they wouldn't need to bother with scraping at all.

===
I understand you are trying to keep some old time users happy..
but I believe most people nowadays are storing each movies in separate folders..
It keeps everything related to that movie in the same folder.

If they are the type that like you said keeps all movies in one folder
then they would not even bother to use this program to waste their time scraping.
They would just watch in a media player.
I have seen such users.

Therefore you are trying to make this program compatible with some people
that are not even using this program.

There are only two types of users
-Users who wantt their movie collection to look beautiful with images,info for Kodi, therefore people who are scraping movies and using Ember
-Users who don't care about scraping movies (not using ember), they just want to watch it in a media player.
Therefore more likely to just keep all movies in one folder like you said.
(2015-05-14, 13:30)DanCooper Wrote: [ -> ]Ember use the same file names for Frodo/Helix defaults like XBMC/Kodi use if you export the Kodi database to separate files.

Would you be able to add feature to automatically create a folder.jpg file for each movie?

This would make it look more nicer when we are looking at it in explorer.
Since we can see a nice thumbnail of the movie in each folder.
(2015-05-14, 15:15)madmax2 Wrote: [ -> ]

Would you be able to add feature to automatically create a folder.jpg file for each movie?

I could do that, but I will not do that.
Ember use ONLY the file names that Kodi use for export.

The reason is simple:
If a folder.jpg is available, Kodi use this file. If you change the image in Kodi and do an export, you will have two different images. Kodi use ONLY <filename>-imagetype.ext for export, Kodi does not overwrite the old folder.jpg.
If you want other filenames -> use expert settings.

<filename>-imagetype.ext is the ONLY way that works with separate and common movie folders. I know, ArtworkDownloader use other file names... andit's soooo crappy!
(2015-05-14, 16:30)DanCooper Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-05-14, 15:15)madmax2 Wrote: [ -> ]

I could do that, but I will not do that.
Ember use ONLY the file names that Kodi use for export.

The reason is simple:
If a folder.jpg is available, Kodi use this file. If you change the image in Kodi and do an export, you will have two different images. Kodi use ONLY <filename>-imagetype.ext for export, Kodi does not overwrite the old folder.jpg.
If you want other filenames -> use expert settings.

<filename>-imagetype.ext is the ONLY way that works with separate and common movie folders. I know, ArtworkDownloader use other file names... andit's soooo crappy!

Can you explain a bit further what you mean by export?
Why would we need to export anything if the nfo and images are all in the same movie folder?

Can't you have the same image duplicated and one is just called folder.jpg.

Without folder.jpg, when I am browsing and managing my movies in explorer, the movie folders look really crap.

====

How do I use expert settings to get a folder.jpg?
which one do I click? and what does it do?
Does it create two copies of that image? one is name in kodi style and one is however you want e.g. folder.jpg.

===
I was hoping to be able to use this program to replace media center master
but it does not look like I can do that now and
I will now need to scrape the same movies twice since it is not creating a folder.jpg

Media center master still has the upper hand when it come scraping speed.
Hopefully this improves later on with multithread support.

===
BTW what do u do for your main daily job?
This is just a side project and you are the lead programmer?
Anything activated in Helix/Frodo settings (default setting) in Ember will be renamed in official KODI database export format (Its the naming which Kodi/XBMC uses when you export your database in XMBC):

I.E. if you have checked poster here, this will result in ONLY supporting (saving/reading) <moviename>-poster.jpg and not something like folder.jpg, poster.jpg.

If you want Ember to write/read other artwork too you will need to fill in expert settings like this:

I think that might be what you want.
let me simplify this.
madmax2 wishes to generate folder.jpg just so when he/she is just managing his/her files in explorer then would nice. this is also true for windows media centre which also I think still uses traditionally folder.jpg.
He/ She (madmax2) is requesting if just an additional scraping field for folder (like poster but separate) could be added to ember.
This functionality is present in couchpotato post processing.
@Dan ...ember is meeting needs not just for kodi but emby / popcorn/NMT/etc IF just another scraping field could be done then great but if not then that is alright ( I think that is what madmax2 wishes )
I DO have folder.jpg in my library for exactly the same reasons as madmax2 is trying to state. What I would advice madmax2 is to install couchpotatoserver windows binaries and configure it to generate folder.jpg and manage all downloading / post processing needs and lastly use ember for the finishing touches.
Here is the guide ------->>> http://www.htpcbeginner.com/easier-way-t...n-windows/
We don't need an additional "folder.jpg" field! Simply add "folder.jpg" into the poster field in expert settings and Ember would create an additional folder.jpg file while saving all other files. Ember does also recognize existing folder.jpg with this setting.
(2015-05-15, 22:37)DanCooper Wrote: [ -> ]We don't need an additional "folder.jpg" field! Simply add "folder.jpg" into the poster field in expert settings and Ember would create an additional folder.jpg file while saving all other files. Ember does also recognize existing folder.jpg with this setting.

+1
(2015-05-14, 17:32)Cocotus Wrote: [ -> ]Anything activated in Helix/Frodo settings (default setting) in Ember will be renamed in official KODI database export format (Its the naming which Kodi/XBMC uses when you export your database in XMBC):

I.E. if you have checked poster here, this will result in ONLY supporting (saving/reading) <moviename>-poster.jpg and not something like folder.jpg, poster.jpg.

If you want Ember to write/read other artwork too you will need to fill in expert settings like this:

I think that might be what you want.

thanks for posting the image of how to do this..
Pages: 1 2