Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: RPI + HDMI splitter so I can play music without having to turn on my TV. :)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey there!
I have a single question for you guys.

I have a RPI with Kodi on it and its connected to my TV with a HDMI cable.
I also have a Sony DVD + 5.1 system combo, which is connected to my TV with a SCART cable.

This Sony 5.1 system play the sound of whatever is on the TV and I'm quite happy about that when watching movies.

The only thing that is bothering me, is that when I want to listen to music through Kodi on the RPI, the TV needs to be on, since the sound is going trough that route.

Is it correct that if I want to split the video and sound signal up, I should look into a HDMI splitter?

So when I just want to hear music, the Sony system will recieve a sound signal from the RPI through the splitter.
Not the way you've described things, as you haven't said the Sony has HDMI input.
What inputs does it have?
as I doubt you're an audiophile given your setup it might be an idea to connect the stereo audio jack of the PI to your Sony system and listen to music that way. That won't give you 5.1 FLAC or the best audio quality in the world, but might suite your needs. Please note that you have to change the audio output device in Kodi to both, HDMI + analogue.
Sorry I haven't replied. I had my exams coming up Smile

@dandnsmith
Nope, the Sony system does not have a HDMI input, it only has a SCART input which connects the Sony system to the TV.
I was thinking some form of converter from HDMI to SCART Smile?

@da-anda
Ah yes, that is an option I will look into then, so from audio jack converted to SCART audio, which the Sony system takes as input Smile?
Even if you find a HDMI to SCART converter, I doubt it will get you better than a simple left and right sound channel (but I haven't checked).
The option da-anda describes is probably what you will have to use - I know it works, having it in regular use.
there are cheap SCART adapters (like 1-2 €) out there which have coax connectors for audio and video. Using one of these and a stereo jack to coax cable sounds like the cheapest solution for your usecase.
Alright! I'll look into these options!
Thanks a lot for your time and answer Smile!
PI analog audio out is very poor quality, don't even bother using it.

If you have optical input on your AVR, you can use an HDMI audio extractor with optical, that might be good enough for both movies and audio, but make sure it decodes DTS.

I used this one with my pi;

http://www.amazon.com/AGPtek%C2%AE-SPDIF...00ECTHIKK/
he doesn't have optical, only SCART and for this I think the PIs audio quality via stereo jack is good enough Smile
I understood it to be HDMI to TV, SCART from TV to 5.1 AVR? He did not specify the AVR had no other inputs, just not HDMI. Might need clarification. Seems a shame to not take advantage of a 5.1 system.

I don't really know of worse audio quality than what comes from PI analog out. Very poor DAC.
it's no real AVR it seems, but a DVD player with an AMP sort of thing