Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Asus Chromebox with Logitech Remote running OpenELEC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Friends

I've just read the Pick the Right Kodi Box sticky thread by PoofyHairGuy and have decided it is time I made an investment in a home theatre system.

I am thinking of this Asus Chromebox (Model M061U) along with this Logitech Harmony Remote (Model 915-000196).

I plan on running Kodi OpenELEC alone. I have a few concerns and was hoping you guys can help.

1. Should I wait? Is there a new/better box due within the next 4 months?
  2. Would the remote work with the box? Do I need anything else in terms of hardware to get the remote working?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.
1) almost always, but new means untested, and almost all new boxes have growing pains. The Chromebox is a known quantity that works well and is well supported

2) nope, the hub should pair with the box via BT
The Celeron Chromebox should work just fine with OpenELEC. I don't believe the i3 will buy you anything.
Also with a rc6 dongle you will get good result (better? ).
At startup the remote will be immediately usable. With BT you have to wait some seconds for it to pair.
Booting is so fast that those few seconds look like an eternity ;-)
(2015-05-22, 18:19)Namoi Wrote: [ -> ]Also with a rc6 dongle you will get good result (better? ).
At startup the remote will be immediately usable. With BT you have to wait some seconds for it to pair.
Booting is so fast that those few seconds look like an eternity ;-)

the response time (ie, button press delay) of the PS3 remote is much better than most RC6 remotes (especially the Harmony ones). There's no delay when using the remote to resume from suspend
the setup you have posted will run perfectly with that remote. it is awesome.

just add the remote as a windows PC. then use the keymapper add on to map the buttons via bluetooth to do whatever you want. that is the easiest way to do it.
Thanks guys. What about the Asus Chromebox M031U? Would that work too? Also, would the remote work with that?
(2015-05-25, 02:14)Ciwan Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks guys. What about the Asus Chromebox M031U? Would that work too? Also, would the remote work with that?

of course, the only difference between the various ChromeBox models is CPU (Celeron vs Core i3), RAM, and bundled keyboard/mouse. Everything listed on the wiki applies to all Haswell ChromeBoxes
there's already a perfectly fine thread for you http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=194362
BT with the Harmony is working but far away from perfect. I switched back to IR for my Bedroom NUC. Slightly more Delay with IR but its working out of the box. Blu Ray needs Pairing, Keymap Editing and sometimes the BT Connection is lost and needs to re Pair...