Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: I can't install Kodibuntu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello!
I can't install Kodibuntu Sad
I tried different apps to create a bootable Kodibuntu USB flash drive: Lili usb creator, Disk image writer, rufus. I tried different usb ports of my htpc, too
I am able to get the screen menu where I go to install Kodibuntu. But after that, I get the logo animation for a couple of seconds and the just a balck screen. I waited up to 15 minutes and nothing has happened. So I can't install the OS Sad
My PC:
  • Mother Msi Asrock Mini Itx Amd Am1 | Sata3 Usb3 Hdmi Kabini
  • Micro Amd Athlon Apu 5150 X4 1.6ghz Am1 4 NĂșcleos Kabini
  • Kingston 120GB SSDNow V300 Series SATA III 2.5"
  • G.SKILL Value 4GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 240-Pin
I'm uploading a video to youtube right now showing what happens. I hope it's up in 10 minutes
http://youtu.be/xw3WeL3G16E

What can I do?
Thank you!
Well it is clearly booting, but looks like X is not starting properly, so the screen just goes blank. Using a keyboard try ctrl-alt-f1 and see if you can get a console. Then you should be able to look at your /var/log/Xorg.0.log and the output of dmesg.
Thank you, but I don't know what you are talking about Sad I'm very very noob to Linux
1. When the screen is blank sit at the keyboard and type ctrl-alt-f1 (ie three fingers on thos three keys in that order, so you endup with fingers on all three keys.)

2. You should get to a console which is a text screen where you can type commands and get a response back. If you don't, hit the keys again. Also try ctrl-alt-f2 and ctrl-alt-f3.

3. Once you have a console, assuming it is logged in, you can type
Code:
less /var/log/Xorg.0.log
which will give you a printout of the log of your graphical system starting up. Scroll through with the space bar. q to get out of the log.

4. Look for any obvious errors and report back what it says.
maybe you can try to install with "fixed dpi"-option.

@nickr:

I don't know if you saw that or if it matters, but I looked at the video and I saw things like: failed to mount /dev/sda1 - operation not permitted

and it seems, that some of the drives are in a "unsafe state"

Looking at the boot screen (at the first lines) makes me wonder, if another OS is installed on this machine and this is maybe not fully shutted down (in hibernate state). I saw those messages (can 't mount....) for nearly all devices, and the screen says "windows is hibernated - refused to mount"....maybe this is a point to check for, too.

@alc112:

Can you confirm, that there is another OS installed on this machine and if yes, in which state is this os? Fully shutted down or in hibernate?
@nickr
Thank you. It didn't work. I also tried with the option to try the system live and it happened the same. Just black screen and the keys combination didn't work. I even went to advanced option to open the console and it didn't open! Sad

@David1977:
I installed Windows 8.1 in the ssd and one day it just stopped working, as if there was no drive in the system. Since I had no time to fix it until now, I was using OpenElec with an usb stick. The funny part is that I can see the ssd but it only contains one folder called EFI with two more folders (boot and microsft) inside.
When I changed the boot order, I had to set the option without UEFI for the pendrive to boot in openelec. I also had to choose the option without UEFI for the pendrive to (try to) install Kodibuntu.

Do you think I should download again the ISO? maybe the download was a bit corrupted?
Do you think it is a problem with the ssd? I have a spare old notebook 120 gb hdd to try if you consider it necessary.
I couldn't see the boot messages on the screen I watched on, but sda1 doesn't need to be mounted for kodibuntu live to start.

You can test the kodibuntu by booting on any computer, eg the one you wrote it on (use live rather than install obviously.)
I could run live in my PC flawlessly
So, it might be a problem with my hardware?

edit 1: Maybe I can try wtih this? http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=189241

Edit 2: Well, I tried the ubuntu minimal. After 40 minutes waiting sitting infornt of the screen, the OS was finnally installed but this showded up:
that is the same screen I was getting when Windows stopped working
Looks like you need to select the internal hard drive as boot device. ie looks like a bios problem.
I did. I tried with the uefi option and with the one without uefi in the title:

I had a related issue as I installed a minimal ubuntu. The reason was grub wasn't installed on the correct device. Was installed on USB.

It should boot if you plug in the USB again

Something like

Code:
sudo grub-install /dev/sdx

should help, if it boots with the USB plugged in

'x' stands for the matching hdd from where the boot should normally work..can be 'sda'. But check before, please
@ David1977
You were right. I plugged the usb and it worked. I was asked for the login details but again black screen Sad
I'm tempted to try to install windows again and If get a black screen again, I'll try with another hdd. I hope the ssd is not the problem. It is brand new Sad
I'll report later.
Thank you guys for all the help Smile
Hello,
Windows installed just fine
but I tried to install Kodibuntu again and the black screen is back.
Do you think, maybe, my hardware is not compatible??

EDIT: I'm downloading xbmcbuntu13. Maybe the graphics card is not compatible
http://kodi.wiki/view/Common_issues#Kodibuntu_specific
I had problems with dual boot win 8.1 and ubuntu previously. 8.1 does some 'creative' things to the MBR. I recall that I fdisked it all and started afresh and installed windows last or not at all.

Maybe try not installing windows and formatting and resetting the MBR? There is plenty of help out there for how to do this with fdisk but it is not risk free. Do you have a spare SSD/HDD to test up? One that hasnt had win8.1 installed?
I have an old HDD. I will try. Thank you
So, I was able to install xbmxbuntu without problems in my ssd but the blackscreen is still there Sad

EDIT: I was able to install xbmcbuntu in the HDD but the black screen is still there, too Sad

I think we have run out of options Sad
Pages: 1 2