Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Small PC for second TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I currently have my HTPC running XBMC 13.2 ( Kodi gave me issues so I just reverted back) with a mysql database.
However we are getting a second TV ( bedroom) and I'm looking for a decent ( but not too expensive) option to get XBMC there.
It HAS to go through wifi and it device cannot be too big since we have to attach it behind the TV. Also need to be able to copy/paste my current userprofile/add ons/.. to the new device.
Is there a Windows option available? I noticed the Asus Chromebox but it doesn't seem too easy to set it up.

Thanks
If Windows is a requirement, then you're looking at a NUC, HP Stream Mini, Zotac BI320, or MSI Cubi. Windows on a ChromeBox is really not an ideal setup.
The HP stream mini is larger than most mini PCs. I don't believe you can mount it behind a TV, at least it does not provide the VESA mount option. Otherwise a good option if you need Windows.
+2 for the HP Stream Mini, unless like was already noted, you need VESA mount options. I have one on my bedroom TV and with the stock memory after it got all the Windows updates I haven't had any issues with it. I ultimately added another 4GB ram for some other things I wanted to use it for but for just Kodi it was fine with the 2GB, although more is always better. Using it with an old PS3 remote I had laying around and it has been great. Hard to beat the price with Windows included. I got it on sale but even the base price isn't bad.
Is windows realy a must?
I stream wirelessly to a minix neox7mini to my second tv in our bedroom and its just fine. That box is abt d size of an apple tv
RPI2 - Noobs Kit.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/introducing-noobs/

Steps...
Even a poor sighted, one armed, drunk Monkey would be able to do this !

1) If not already assembled, lay the RPi2 board in the case and snap shut.
2) Insert Noobs SD card into slot
3) Plug in Power,HDMI cords and the USB dongle, plus initially a USB Keyboard.
4) Select OpenElec from the list and install, a Network connection is not even needed at this point.
5) If you have a HDMI-CEC control compatible TV, an extra remote control does not even need to be purchased.
6) Velcro or 3M Tape the tiny thing to the back of the TV.

Beer Time !!! Wink

PS - if Included WiFi in Noobs Kit is inadequate consider getting this one....

Netis WF2123 Wireless N300 Nano USB Adapter