Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Alert: Don't upgrade to 3.19.0-18 Ubuntu kernel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The 3.19.0-20 kernel has now been pushed and fixes this issue. If you downgraded as suggested in my original post, to cause your system to suggest kernel upgrades again, run:

sudo apt-get install linux-generic linux-image-generic

------------------------
Original post:

The 3.19.0-18 ubuntu kernel breaks HDMI audio on intel HDA. Don't install it!

If you already upgraded, rollback your kernel by running

sudo apt-get purge linux-image-3.19.0-18-generic

Note this will also remove linux-generic* and linux-image-generic* which means Ubuntu will never offer to upgrade your kernel ever again, so you need to remember to check if it's fixed in a new kernel in a couple days and reinstall those packages.

Edit: 3.19.0-19 is also not safe.
Fritsch....can you confirm this message?
Kinda insulting that you think I'm lying, but anyway-- you don't need him to confirm, you can do so yourself trivially.

https://www.google.com/search?q=3.19.0-18 hdmi audio
I don't think you are lying...appologize if it sounds that way Wink

But, and I think you know it, he's the audio dev and an answer from him does not hurt.
fritsch is one of the resident team developers and he specializes in all things audio, so dont assume some personal insult just because. You havent a clew what he may suggest or that there may be some knowledge to be gained form hearing some insights from a PRO.

Also there's other ways to rollback a kernel without breaking future upgrades and technically you should boot into the previous kernel in order to purge the newer (undesired) kernel, else you break all sorts of things.

But as far as warnings go, this seems OK, and most people wouldn't have bothered.
Check my join date, I know who everybody is.

If you have a better way to do it, please document it so other people can follow.
What a lovely attitude you have!

How about you look at things like http://askubuntu.com/questions/419116/ho...nux-itself

* un1versal unsubscribes
You're reading attitude into a post that was not there in the text. I simply asked that you document the best way to do it, so others could benefit.

You see, to me, it seems like you are the jerk here. But I'm sure my perception is wrong too. So lets both chill out.
lol - this happens here all the time... irc too.

it's too funny - people jump all over others and vise versa.
You almost get afraid to make a comment because you'll get bashed in some way.

most likely this post as well. Smile
Thanks for reporting. From the ubuntu git there are only ~4 ALSA commits, so that should be easy to find, but upstream (ubuntu) needs a long time, sadly.
Yep. You usually need to do a dist-upgrade to get the new kernel, which is usually quite safe. I just wanted to warn people not to do that yet.
Will a dist-upgrade get you the linux-image-3.19.0-18-generic kernel? I did one 3 days ago and it provided me with this configuration

- Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS, kernel: Linux x86 64-bit version 3.13.0-53-generic
You're running 14.04 LTS so you're on a different upgrade path. I don't know when or if they'll start pushing 3.19 to that version.
Ah thanks goodness. Sorry I missed your mention of the version. I tried to find it but still can't see it. Anyway - apologies for jumping in and offering nothing.
I didn't mention my version-- if they do push the 3.19.0-18 kernel to 14.04, don't install it.
Pages: 1 2