Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: tv box crashing/freezing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
hi guys just registered, just got a android box for first time, its a TT tv box, came with all the apps on it, but it kept crashing/ freezing, sometimes i would take 5 or 6 times of loading up xbmc before i got any further than the start screen, sometimes it would crash straight away sometimes could crash ten minutes, screen just freezes solid and have to reboot box.

i had installed xunity and thought it might be that so i deleted that and had same problem, i wiped the box to factory settings, and installed kodi my self and its still doing it, not as much but still doing it, im new to this so im sure there is a fix but could do with some advice please Smile
Hi there, welcome, ive got an m8 box and im having the same problems , iv asked on here but no one will say wether its the firmware or anything. its annoying when trying to watch something and it freezes. Im glad im not the only one with these problems
For crashes please see if you can include a logcat (wiki) via pastebin.com
If I just got a product that did nothing but crash, I expect I'd probably look to the seller for advice, or search for specific issues with that model box(I do this before I buy), or see if there was an upgraded firmware available, etc. Failing those fixes I'd probably assume it was crap and return it for something that works out of the box... Not saying it's crap, just sharing my evaluation process.

Don't get me wrong, I had my share of problems with my CX-S806 S802 based box, but it worked out of the box -once repositories and add-one were installed and though it would not run any version of helix runs Isengard fine. (Probably a permission issue with 14)

If it's just crashing left and right that's bad -could even be a hardware problem like bad power supply or poorly attached heat sink and overheating, or just a dud...
(2015-05-27, 04:29)technisol Wrote: [ -> ]If I just got a product that did nothing but crash, I expect I'd probably look to the seller for advice, or search for specific issues with that model box(I do this before I buy), or see if there was an upgraded firmware available, etc. Failing those fixes I'd probably assume it was crap and return it for something that works out of the box... Not saying it's crap, just sharing my evaluation process.

Don't get me wrong, I had my share of problems with my CX-S806 S802 based box, but it worked out of the box -once repositories and add-one were installed and though it would not run any version of helix runs Isengard fine. (Probably a permission issue with 14)

If it's just crashing left and right that's bad -could even be a hardware problem like bad power supply or poorly attached heat sink and overheating, or just a dud...

Heres my story: i bought the box from amazon in december and it had 13.1 gotham pre installed, and worked ok , i got chucked out of xbmc a few times but was ok, i decided to upgrade to 14.1 coz a certain sports app wasnt working , now its just freezing and a black screen also occurs, i have contacted the seller to ask if its a firmware issue but im still waiting for a responce
Well, I'd search for and read all the M8 posts, there's been a lot lately, and do some googling. You're far from alone so a solution is likely. I couldn't get 14. anything to work on my S802 based box so I'd try Isengard -think it was a permissions related issue/ the developers made some changes. Failing that, or a firmware update, the smart move is find the apk file on your box and reinstall the version that worked and research things before you jump on other versions that may not work. At least backup your setup if you're going to try new versions so yon can revert without redoing the whole setup unless you've got it down to a page of simple notes and don't mind the bother.

Good luck!
(2015-05-27, 08:24)technisol Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I'd search for and read all the M8 posts, there's been a lot lately, and do some googling. You're far from alone so a solution is likely. I couldn't get 14. anything to work on my S802 based box so I'd try Isengard -think it was a permissions related issue/ the developers made some changes. Failing that, or a firmware update, the smart move is find the apk file on your box and reinstall the version that worked and research things before you jump on other versions that may not work. At least backup your setup if you're going to try new versions so yon can revert without redoing the whole setup unless you've got it down to a page of simple notes and don't mind the bother.

Good luck!

Thankyou, i have been looking around for various posts to do with the m8 but i cant seem to find alot about the problems im getting, i know people must have had this problem with their box but i cant seem to find a solution
I'd give Isengard a try if you can't get Helix to go past the install and run. If it's crashing after running for a while it could be hardware or heat related too. If you can go back to the original and it runs ok then it's not heat or hardware related, but you may need a firmware upgrade if they don't have permissions set correctly to allow Isengard to run properly.(I'm guessing based on posts I've read, but from what I've gathered if its permissions related you'll never get more than a black screen or bounced back to the android launcher)

From what I've read, the developers removed any code that was a workaround for various firmware shortcomings and put the ball back in the manufacturer's court for the permissions related issues. Considering how many have had trouble with the M8 of late, I'd guess it may be a firmware issue. If so, keep after the manufacturer/distributor for a solution and check their boards for a firmware update.
Yes i will do, thanks for ur replies, i have just reset the box to factory settings and xbmc back to gotham 13.2 which is already pre installed, il try a film now and c what happens
UPDATE :- after a factory reset and the gotham 13.2installed, i decided to watch a movie and everything was perfect untill 8mins from the end and it just froze, it lasted longer than all the previous times but there is a definate problem , im almost certain its the box itself, i had to unplug from the box as i couldnt do anything with it, i must say the top of the box was quite hot, so maybe an overheating issue ?
Sure sounds like it crashed hard, possibly due to overheating. I suppose there are three things you can try: contact the seller if you're still in warranty, try cooling it externally with a fan, etc., or crack it open and see if it is a heat sink issue or if it even has heatsinks -honestly I'm not sure I've ever even seen a picture of the M8 board. If there are no heat sinks, and room for them they might help a bit, but you still have to have somewhere to radiate that heat. I assume from what you wrote it's never run that long since you've had it?

In fairness, pretty much all android devices in plastic cases are going to feel pretty warm to the touch after being used for a while, but if you can't get through a movie without crashing and it feels more hot than warm... and it won't restart and continue to run after power cycling it until after it cools down a bit you're probably on track.
It did work fine untill recently, maybe its been getting hotter and hotter over time plus all the apps i had on there aswell probably didnt help, maybe thats why i got through most of the movie without crashing last night as it was back to factory and nothing else running , i have contacted the seller from amazon as i only bought it in december but i havnt had any responce from them yet. I bought this box after being told its the best on the market as it is a quad core with a new amlogic chip, im not very impressed with it lol
Well, I'll agree on the quad core AMLogic SOC s being pretty good now that KODI has support for AMLogic hardware decoding, I have an CX-S806 which is S802 based like your M8. Something seems to be up with the M8 boxes lately, a lot of people have been posting regarding upgrade problems the last couple of months. I'm guessing it's a firmware related permissions things from other threads I've read, but I wonder how many are trying Isengard and having any success as it supposedly is not asking for permissions or trying to work around incorrect permissions being set in the firnmware like earlier versions did.

All I really know beyond a shadow of a doubt, is that I could not get any version past the 13.X mine came with to run, other that Stane's 13.2 build which asked for permissions, until I tried Isengard which runs fine on my S802 based unit now, so I'm guessing I got lucky and the firmware for mine is compatible as far as having the permissions set correctly hopefully from this point forward.

Hey, you might check your adaptor too, a lot of these boxes come with pretty crappy power supplies and it could be messing up too. Probably a fan aimed at the box couldn't hurt or some other form of external cooling to see if it makes a difference. If it came down to it, I'd slap it in a small cooler with a couple ice packs, carefully making sure nothing could get wet, and see if it made a difference, but then I'm the kind of guy that flips the canned air upside down and uses the propellant to spray components I think may be overheating when troubleshooting by spot cooling them.
Im gonna try the lsengard android beta 1 tonight , thanks technisol
UPDATE :- as i said above i did install v15 lsengard and everything seems quicker when scrolling through menu options, but what i also done was turn the box upside down to let the heat escape quicker(just incase the problems are heat related), then i decided to try out a film and guess what !!! I managed to watch a film all the way through without any freezing or black screen , and im now 15mins into the second film and it is playing fantastic. So fingers crossed . If anything happens i will b back to tell all :-)
Pages: 1 2 3