Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Isengard compiling guide  iOS 8.3 - iPhone - iPad's - no Jailbreak needed!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Kodi Isengard - iOS 8.3 compiling guide:
Quote:iOS SDK 8.3 requires a Mac computer running OS X v10.10 (Yosemite) or later.
iOS 8.3 Release Notes:
https://developer.apple.com/library/prer...index.html
Compiled with v1.6.0_65 of the Java compiler.

You must use Xcode 7 beta - its the only way to get Kodi on to iOS - iPhone / iPads's for free without the need to Jailbreak.

1. Download Xcode 6.3.2 AND Xcode7 beta from https://developer.apple.com/xcode/downloads/
Xcode 6.3.2 must be run at least once and the Term and Conditions accepted. This installs the iOS 8.3 SDK.

2. in the OSX Terminal app issue: (and install Xcode Command Line Tools if prompted)
Code:
gcc

3. Install the Java Compiler, the Pop-up says to download - hit More Info which opens up Safari
Code:
javac

4. Follow the iOS Kodi building documentation at:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...README.ios

5. Copy and paste the commands into OSX Terminal (do not copy the first $ symbol) eg paste: cd $HOME

6. When you get to this: ./configure --host=arm-apple-darwin
use this instead:
Code:
./configure --host=arm-apple-darwin --with-sdk=8.3

7. To speed up the compile process use 4 CPU cores: make -j4
eg: make -j4 -C target/binary-addons

8. Step - 4.1 Using Xcode is where we start following the Xcode Mini Guide below...

Xcode 7 beta iOS building Mini Guide
=======================

- usb connect iOS device to the Mac (select Trust this computer if needed on the iOS device)

- Xcode > Preferences > Accounts > Sign in with Apple ID > close window
- File > Open > username > Kodi > Kodi.xcodeproj

- Click and approve the code conversion Fix suggestion when asked.

- Top Left > Kodi-iOS > iPhone or iPad (do NOT select anything from iOS simulator)
- Double click the blue Kodi box from < > Kodi to get to...

General:
- Identity > Bundle Identifier = org.xbmc
- Team = Username (Apple ID / email)
- Deployment Target = 8.3
- Devices = iPhone or iPad

Build Settings:
- Base SDK > Latest iOS (iOS 9.0)
- Build Options > Enable Bitcode = No (prevents a whole bunch of build Bitcode warnings)
- Code Signing > Code Signing Identity > click triangle > iPhone/Ipad Developer: apple.id (xxxxxxxxxxx) (repeat for all 4)
- User Defined > XBMC_Depends =XBMC_DEPENDS_ROOT)/iphoneos8.3_armv7-target

HIT PLAY > button to build (top left)

Eat an in Anticipation Wink

Troubleshooting:
Anything that appears in Red in the far Left Warning feedback window, will need to be clicked and then fixed in the middle Code window.
Xcode also helpfully supplies suggestions of what code is needed to fix the issue.

191 minor build warnings were displayed when using this guide.

It seems there is a bug if your Apple ID has previously been used as a developer ID
https://twitter.com/kaptin/status/608727199965958144

Enjoy ! Big Grin

But there is one more thing.....
Updating Kodi Isengard...

1. Xcode > File > Close "Kodi.xcodeproj"

2. In OSX Terminal:
Code:
git clean -xdf
git pull origin
git --reset head

3. To compile an up to date Isengard version, repeat steps in the Readme.iOS from - 3.2 Install Cross libs and runtime environment....

4. You will end up with two or more Kodi apps on your device, unfortunately deleting one removes all settings of the other. Trust iOS to be so damn tidy.

W.
Nice, thanks for writing this up. I'm sure people will be asking for this in droves soon :)
Apple have finally opened up the iOS platform to developers for free I suspect to swing momentum behind development of Apps for the iWatch.
And not before time IMHO.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/10/xcode-7-al...-for-free/

Here is some interesting info for iOS 9.0 App development going forward:
Thinning / Slicing / Bitcode / On Demend Resources
Quote:The App Store and operating system optimize the installation of iOS and watchOS apps by tailoring app delivery to the capabilities of the user’s particular device, with minimal footprint. This optimization, called app thinning, lets you create apps that use the most device features, occupy minimum disk space, and accommodate future updates that can be applied by Apple. Faster downloads and more space for other apps and content provides a better user experience.

https://developer.apple.com/library/prer...nning.html
Kodi control via Watch in the future then Cool

If I want to use my sources.xml and advanced settings.xml do I add them via iTunes or is that just for adding media?

From the README.ios
Quote:all Kodi files are then located in the sandboxed "Documents" folder and can be easily accessed via iTunes file sharing.

Trying to build Helix by adding the "git checkout Helix" line I get the error below after running the "make -j4" command:
Code:
touch .installed-iphoneos8.3_armv7-target
make: *** [target/.installed-iphoneos8.3_armv7-target] Error 2
Dans-Mac-mini:depends Dan$

This is what happens then when trying to run the next line:
Code:
Dans-Mac-mini:depends Dan$ make -j4 -C target/binary-addons
make: *** target/binary-addons: No such file or directory.  Stop.
(2015-06-13, 11:58)D-an-W Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi control via Watch in the future then Cool

If I want to use my sources.xml and advanced settings.xml do I add them via iTunes or is that just for adding media?

From the README.ios
Quote:all Kodi files are then located in the sandboxed "Documents" folder and can be easily accessed via iTunes file sharing.

Trying to build Helix by adding the "git checkout Helix" line I get the error below after running the "make -j4" command:
Code:
touch .installed-iphoneos8.3_armv7-target

This is what happens then when trying to run the next line:
Code:
Dans-Mac-mini:depends Dan$ make -j4 -C target/binary-addons
make: *** target/binary-addons: No such file or directory.  Stop.

If you do the make without the -j you get a propper error message i noticed.
You could try a
Code:
cd $HOME/Kodi
git reset --hard
git clean -xdf
then
Code:
git checkout Helix
and then back to the start of Step 3.2 of the Readme.iOS

Make sure you are in the Kodi directory, as this may remove a whole bunch of other User directories otherwise if the git repo is actually your User folder.
If you git cloned properly into the Kodi directory in the first place there is nothing to worry about.

For a dry run to test - if your feeling unsure:
Code:
git clean -n
Its still not working for me.

This is what ive done:
Code:
1. Installed the Xcode 7 Beta and the command line tools
2. # HOME=/Volumes/SSD/Zwischenspeicher/Xcode
3. # export HOME
4. #cd $HOME
5. #git clone git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git Kodi  (If also check out the touchskin it crashes some time before.
6. #cd Kodi/tools/depends
7. #./bootstrap
8. #./configure --host=arm-apple-darwin --with-sdk=8.3
9. #make

The Error im getting:
Code:
Dependencies built successfully.
/Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make -C target
/Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make -C pcre
/Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make -C iphoneos8.3_armv7-target
make[3]: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
make[2]: *** [iphoneos8.3_armv7-target/.libs/libpcre.a] Error 2
make[1]: *** [pcre] Error 2

Here is a Pastie of the config.log http://pastie.org/10238664.

Any ideas?
Remove steps 2 and 3.

Just navigate to the directory and git clone directly into that directory:

Code:
cd /Volumes/SSD/Zwischenspeicher/Xcode
git clone git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git Kodi

Just keep it simple and just follow the Readme.ios and copy and paste everything in the correct order.
(2015-06-13, 14:41)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]You could try a
Code:
cd $HOME/Kodi
git reset --hard
git clean -xdf
then
Code:
git checkout Helix
and then back to the start of Step 3.2 of the Readme.iOS

Make sure you are in the Kodi directory, as this may remove a whole bunch of other User directories otherwise if the git repo is actually your User folder.
If you git cloned properly into the Kodi directory in the first place there is nothing to worry about.

For a dry run to test - if your feeling unsure:
Code:
git clean -n

Thanks for the suggestions but I still can't complete the terminal commands section when trying to build Helix (14.2), it fails again at the same place with the same error.
(2015-06-13, 16:14)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Remove steps 2 and 3.

Just navigate to the directory and git clone directly into that directory:

Code:
cd /Volumes/SSD/Zwischenspeicher/Xcode
git clone git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git Kodi

Just keep it simple and just follow the Readme.ios and copy and paste everything in the correct order.

What the $HOME be? if i try to go in there its saying:
Code:
Marks-MacBook:xcode hanfrey$ cd $HOME
-bash: cd: /Volumes/Macintosh: No such file or directory

Marks-MacBook:xcode hanfrey$ echo $HOME
/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/hanfrey
Because that i changed it.

Tried know do to an symlink that i can use it. But then i got:

Code:
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for strip... /Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/strip
configure: WARNING: using cross tools not prefixed with host triplet
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... ./install-sh -c -d
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... no
checking for awk... awk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
checking whether make supports nested variables... (cached) yes
checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking for gcc... /Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang
checking whether the C compiler works... no
configure: error: in `/Zwischenspeicher/xcode/Kodi/tools/depends/target/pcre/iphoneos8.3_armv7-target':
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details
make[2]: *** [iphoneos8.3_armv7-target] Error 77
make[1]: *** [pcre] Error 2

Maybe this is also a problem? Looks false

Marks-MacBook:depends hanfrey$ cd $PATH
-bash: cd: /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/texbin: No such file or directory

Or can it be that its finding no ios 8.3 stuff?

Code:
/Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make -C iphoneos8.3_armv7-target
make[3]: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

I created an project which i said target is 8.3 and let it complie on my iphone, worked. if i compile it in the simulator the ios 9.0 sim is opening.
I've been trying to get Kodi installed on my iPhone for several hours now. After my initial attempt at following the directions in the Readme, I found this post, upgraded to Xcode 7, wiped out my Kodi source and started from scratch. I've finally gotten back to where I'm trying the install in Xcode and I've got an error... In AddonVersion.h (under Source/xbmc/addons/), it can't find the file boost/operators.hpp.
If you have followed the rest of the steps in the guide above then this should fix that problem...

Code:
- User Defined > XBMC_Depends =XBMC_DEPENDS_ROOT)/iphoneos8.3_armv7-target
Could you please include a link to zip file, so we can download your project, I have tried to compile it, but I get too many errors about missing libraries, did you test it in ios9, please let us know, thanks very much mate!!
Hi, could you please post a link to a zip file with the full project, so we can try to compile it ourselves, I have tried to build it, but unfortunately I get too many error about missing libraries, have you tried running it in iOS9, please let us know, thanks very much mate !!!
(2015-06-14, 20:20)wax000 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, could you please post a link to a zip file with the full project, so we can try to compile it ourselves, I have tried to build it, but unfortunately I get too many error about missing libraries, have you tried running it in iOS9, please let us know, thanks very much mate !!!

I want this too please!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6