Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: EPG question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I finally have everything set up with my Synology NAS, HDHomerun, and dvblink. However, the guide is just a dull text list with no times. I thought I saw screenshots of a full grid epg showing all channels and programs. Here is what mine looks like. How do I get a better one?

Skin issue ? Try Confluence first and see.
After some more playing around, I found that this is just a listing for what is on the particular channel. If I go to the submenu of live tv, I see epg and when I select that I get the full graphical grid. Is there any way to get channel logos or is the guide just the way it is because it is dvblink?
You have to create icons for the channels and the file name needs to match the channel name from dvblink. Then, in live tv settings, you can set the folder path to the channel icons.

If you're in the UK then send me a pm and I can send you freeview and sky icons for most of the popular channels (popular in my view anyway)
(2015-06-20, 01:11)rlg6767 Wrote: [ -> ]You have to create icons for the channels and the file name needs to match the channel name from dvblink. Then, in live tv settings, you can set the folder path to the channel icons.

If you're in the UK then send me a pm and I can send you freeview and sky icons for most of the popular channels (popular in my view anyway)

Oh, ok there is a setting in Kodi to enable channel logos? I imagine there must be some USA channels packaged together somewhere.

On a side note, my epg doesn't load program data for a couple channel, PBS and CBS. In do blink setup there is a field for a burl for epg source. What are you supposed to put in there?
(2015-06-20, 13:23)patseguin Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, ok there is a setting in Kodi to enable channel logos? I imagine there must be some USA channels packaged together somewhere.

Yes there is. Settings --> Live TV --> Menu/OSD --> Folder with channel icons.
Have a search on the internet and also these forums, you should be able to find some icons. For any missing icons go to Lyngsat-logo.com and you can create your own.

(2015-06-20, 13:23)patseguin Wrote: [ -> ]On a side note, my epg doesn't load program data for a couple channel, PBS and CBS. In do blink setup there is a field for a burl for epg source. What are you supposed to put in there?
Have you tried waiting to see if the EPG data appears? Sometimes it can take a while to appear after an initial setup. Not sure about your question regarding URL for EPG source. I use digiguide addon which imports from their website via my account.
I received a better Winegard antenna today and did another scan. Works great and channels that were a little weak before are better now. Fox still breaks up a little. When I look at the signal meter, it shows 100% signal strength but between 50%-70% signal quality. What is the difference? If I am getting nearly 100% signal strength, shouldn't the signal quality be up there too?

Also, I pressed stop on live TV to get back to my main menu and browse some movies. I went back to live TV and now it tells me that the tuner is in use by another device. Why would it say that? I don't think the setup only allows 1 device to watch 1 channel, that would defeat the purpose of the HDHomerun live. Any tips on what the issue could be? I am running Isengard beta 2 (OpenElec).
(2015-06-20, 23:02)rlg6767 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-06-20, 13:23)patseguin Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, ok there is a setting in Kodi to enable channel logos? I imagine there must be some USA channels packaged together somewhere.

Yes there is. Settings --> Live TV --> Menu/OSD --> Folder with channel icons.
Have a search on the internet and also these forums, you should be able to find some icons. For any missing icons go to Lyngsat-logo.com and you can create your own.

(2015-06-20, 13:23)patseguin Wrote: [ -> ]On a side note, my epg doesn't load program data for a couple channel, PBS and CBS. In do blink setup there is a field for a burl for epg source. What are you supposed to put in there?
Have you tried waiting to see if the EPG data appears? Sometimes it can take a while to appear after an initial setup. Not sure about your question regarding URL for EPG source. I use digiguide addon which imports from their website via my account.

OK I went and found channel logos for all my channels. I created a folder and named each PNG file exactly as the channel name. I put in the target path in the epg settings but it didn't work. I had to go into each individual channel and set the image manually. Is that the way it's supposed to work?
You may need to put channel number followed by hyphen at the start of the filename.

Eg "101 - BBC 1"

It should scan the folder and auto assign.
(2015-06-21, 01:52)rlg6767 Wrote: [ -> ]You may need to put channel number followed by hyphen at the start of the filename.

Eg "101 - BBC 1"

It should scan the folder and auto assign.

Ok I'll try that. On the logos, what pixel size should they be? I just copied over whatever size they were but most of them look stretched vertically in the guide.
I noticed that my ABC channel guide data is empty. I checked dvblink and all my channels have TV Source-1 for for source.bthe dropdown list is TV Source-1, default, or none. On available source there are 2 choices: TV Source-1 and XMLTV-1. Does TV source pull data over the air and xmltv pull it from some website? Is there a rule should try since some of my channels seem to be not getting guide data?
(2015-06-21, 15:37)patseguin Wrote: [ -> ]Ok I'll try that. On the logos, what pixel size should they be? I just copied over whatever size they were but most of them look stretched vertically in the guide.

512 x 512 pixels. I had to use GIMP or Photoshop to change some of mine.
(2015-06-21, 16:01)patseguin Wrote: [ -> ]I noticed that my ABC channel guide data is empty. I checked dvblink and all my channels have TV Source-1 for for source.bthe dropdown list is TV Source-1, default, or none. On available source there are 2 choices: TV Source-1 and XMLTV-1. Does TV source pull data over the air and xmltv pull it from some website? Is there a rule should try since some of my channels seem to be not getting guide data?

It's strange that TV Source-1 works for some channels and not others. TV Source will pull the EPG from the OTA and XMLTV would probably point to a local XML file (usually generated by 3rd party software).

Maybe try setting the particular channels affected to no epg. Restart the DVBLink service or reboot. And then try re-adding the EPG source.

I would head over to the DVBLogic forum and see if Oberon or the_man can help if no joy.
(2015-06-21, 23:16)rlg6767 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-06-21, 15:37)patseguin Wrote: [ -> ]Ok I'll try that. On the logos, what pixel size should they be? I just copied over whatever size they were but most of them look stretched vertically in the guide.

512 x 512 pixels. I had to use GIMP or Photoshop to change some of mine.

512 is really large isn't it? The ones I downloaded are typically around 200. For instance my WGRZ NBC logo is 200 X 145. Should I just make sure that the canvas size in Photoshop for all of them is perfectly square?
I have icons at both 256 x 256 and 512 x 512. The bigger they are, the better quality they will be (more noticeable on big screens).

Yes, make the canvas size square and transparent. Save as .png.