Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Best way to store data
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is the best way to store data for Kodi ? I am currently using a 2 TB external Transcend Hard disk but in general the reliability of external hard disks is low. Any other way ? I have 5 TBs of data.
I have my Movies, TV Shows & Music stored on a network attached drive (mine is a 3Tb WD Mybooklive) connected directly to my router - and use NFS when adding these to Kodi.
if you mean with data movies, series, music etc
then a server/nas
You have two ways.
The NAS way.
The DAS way.

The first one should be the first choice. But it's based on RAID with the advantage and cons too. I won't make a dissertation about this, just google it (begining by raid 5 cons pro).
The second option is to just use an usb enclosure with two or four bays in which you will have basically one (or two drives) for your data and one (or two drives) for backups.
The second option has the advantage to be "movable" easly across computers.
(2015-06-29, 21:06)Namoi Wrote: [ -> ]You have two ways.
The NAS way.
The DAS way.

The first one should be the first choice. But it's based on RAID with the advantage and cons too. I won't make a dissertation about this, just google it (begining by raid 5 cons pro).
The second option is to just use an usb enclosure with two or four bays in which you will have basically one (or two drives) for your data and one (or two drives) for backups.
The second option has the advantage to be "movable" easly across computers.

Won't a NAS be slow ? I have tried streaming over internal networks using PLEX before but it made everything very slow. Be it streaming of movies or browsing.
Also, according to you guys, what is the reliability of NAS against external hard drives attached to a USB enclosure ?
(2015-06-30, 04:30)PhoeniX12 Wrote: [ -> ]Won't a NAS be slow ? I have tried streaming over internal networks using PLEX before but it made everything very slow. Be it streaming of movies or browsing.
Also, according to you guys, what is the reliability of NAS against external hard drives attached to a USB enclosure ?

No, it depends on the NAS as to how fast the up stream will be, but down stream shouldn't be an issue on any NAS. It depends more on your network than the NAS, if you have a gigabyte network then you shouldn't have any issues as long as the problem isn't with the device you're using as a Kodi client.

And you really can't compare Plex because depending on what you're steaming to the Plex Server may be transcoding the video/audio, which can cause issues depending on the server device.

As for reliability, it depends on the NAS you get. Keep in mind a NAS is basically just another computer. It's a computer that has the main function of holding and serving data to the other devices on your network. But if your asking how reliable is it at serving media. How reliable is your home network?
If you want to keep it simple (ie you just need a place to store your files and these files just need to be available on the device they are currently attached) go with an usb enclosure and make backups.

On the contrary, if you need those files to be accessible from multiple devices, go with a NAS, but keep in mind that it isn't a backup, even raid 5, so you ultimately have to do backups of the files in the NAS.

For the speed, a usb3 enclosure connected to a usb3 port will be faster than a gigabyte network, but it will be usefull only to copy files.
For streaming, there's no visual difference except if your network is s***t.

Now for the reliability, as i said none of these solution are backups, so if an hdd failes in an enclosure and if you don't have a backup you are fucked (if you are lucky, some tools can help you recover some files providing the failure isn't unrecoverable).
On a RAID based NAS, you can choose which raid level you want to use. Google this as it could take pages, but you have in fine the raid 1 and raid 5 that are really usefull.
It brings data redondancy (not backup), which means that if one drive (even 2 on raid 5) fails you just have to replace the hdd and you are good to go.
Nice isn't it :-D
But the reality is a little more complex. Indeed with the size of common hdd, when a drive fails in an array, it can takes days to "rebuild the array" after replacing a drive, and if another drive failes during the rebuild process you are this time really fucked up as you will lose ALL the data ... and this time no simple tools will allow you to recover.

So again : simple but limited hdd enclosure with backup.
Complex but versatile, NAS but backup too.
(2015-06-30, 08:52)Namoi Wrote: [ -> ]On the contrary, if you need those files to be accessible from multiple devices, go with a NAS, but keep in mind that it isn't a backup, even raid 5, so you ultimately have to do backups of the files in the NAS.

That's not true. RAID 1 is mirrored, so if you lose one drive the other drive "backup" still contains all the information. RAID 10 is a "stripe of mirrors" so it's striped across 2 drives then mirrored on 2.

Technically it's called redundancy, but by all accounts you still have a backup of your information since you can lose 1 or 2 drives, depending on your setup and still have your data intact.

Also, keep in mind NASs can also be set as JOBD (Just a Bunch of Disks) or Span, which allows you to use all the disk space across all drives with no redundancy.
Technically raid 1 isn't a backup (no raid alone is a backup)
On raid 1 If you delete a file from the array it will be deleted on both hdd.
If errors happen on one drive they will also be mirrored on the second drive.
And for jbod, yes you could do it (but not on all brand IMHO) and if the NAS fails, well it will be tricky to "recover" the array.