Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi freezes overnight
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I've recently upgraded my RPi to Kodi from Gotham and am experiencing a problem when the pi is left overnight as the next day I find that it has frozen. When I say frozen I mean that it is unresponsive to the tv cec remote, unresponsive to the Kore Android app and to SSH The screen is left showing the last viewed screen but it cannot be interacted with. It doesn't seem to matter what the last screen was as it has frozen on photos, movies, whilst paused on a movie, etc.
The only way to get it working again is to yank out the power cable.
If it makes any difference the Pi is a model B, hardwired to my lan, hdmi to the tv, using a sql db and a nas to stream the media from.
Any ideas on why it's freezing, why the last screen remains visible and how I might stop it from doing this?
Thanks,
Mike
Are you overclocking? Try removing all overclocks and see if it stops freezing.
Nope, no overclocking applied.
What Kodi environment are you using?

Are there any settings or addons that are doing tasks/jobs regularly?

Can you asure that your psu is capable of delivering stable current?

My guess would be a bad addon or a bad psu...
I'm not sure what you mean by Kodi environment. Is that something I can see on the Settings > system page ?

I'm going to try disabling all the add-ons. I'm told that renaming the ~/.Kodi file will do this. Does this sound like a good test or can you suggest another test I could do?

I think I have another PSU but I'm not sure it's rated high enough. I can give that a go but I'm less confident about the results. My current PSU should delivery 1.5A so I guess I could test that with a multi-meter. Is 1.5A suitable for the model B running Kodi?
I meant which distro you are using, but I already saw in another of your posts that you're using XBIAN.

Not sure about your psu, but I got the one the RaspberryPi Foundation sells for a few bucks and that's a 2A one which runs perfectly on my Pi2, so it'll be fine with the Pi1B as well.

Anyway, I guess your described problem from this thread is related to your other thread here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=230918
so I'd suggest to keep going from there Wink
After a second attempted build of Xbian and the same problem occurring I rebuilt the pi with OpenElec and this has resolved the problem.
I still have no idea what the problem was but my issues are resolved.
Are you by any chance using Eminence skin? I have the same on both RPI 1 and 2. Freezing up or just going syrup. Using Openelec. Haven't had chance yet to look into it, yet. Clean install with only PVR iptvsimple.
(2015-07-13, 12:03)ProsjektX Wrote: [ -> ]Clean install with only PVR iptvsimple.

Do you have EPG enabled?
I had this issue with iptvsimple, it would go OOM and somehow crash the system while trying to download, extract and import massive xmltv.tar.gz file.
It worked fine on my ubuntu machine tho.

I dumped pvr iptvsimple and wrote a simple python addon for myself, however I can not make it public because it's tailored for the specifics of my ISP and requires a server-side JSON api for EPG which runs on my home server.
For my part I was using the Confluence skin as I wanted to test with as few changes to the vanilla version as possible. After two rebuilds I had to concede defeat and went to Openelec.