Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Why you not use Lav source code for 4k/h265 ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Why you not use fastest Lav source code for 4k/h265 for x86 ?
You make dedicated decoders for any android SoC, but can't make fast playback of 4k/h265 on main platform - x86 Windows.
FFmpeg is so slow on 4k/h265 even on i7, so not use it, integrate Lav and use it instead for 4k or h265 or elsewhere ! We, x86-win people, don't not like DSPlayer (slow init) and other geek stuff with XML config, we need complete working fast solution out of the box, like SoC users.
ok
Suggest you try asking again, the smart way http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Uhh... Isn't LAV Splitter and LAV Filter just a demuxer, with no decoding features of it's own, and FFMPEG is still required for decoding?
All LAV filters are based on FFmpeg, but are not required for decoding as it has LAV Audio & LAV Video Decoder. At least according to their web site.

More towards the topic, however, why would a dev want to continue on down the DirectShow path when it's been replaced by Media Foundation?
LAV Filter is the fastest 4k or h265 decoder for x86. It is de facto standart for x86. It is fastest and open source.
64 bit version is even faster. It is also default decoder on famous MPC player.
Benchmarks for h265 - http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1694697
Devs make huge job for 4k/h265 for SoC/Android boxes out of the box, but nothing for x86 in the terms of decoding speed.
(2015-07-06, 23:04)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]ok
You scored a laugh point here. Big Grin
Your list here doesn't seem to compare it to anything other than the Strongene x86 OPEN CL decoder. o.O
ffmpeg is not multithreaded have some dxva problem, so i can't play smooth h264 4k (and even h265) on my i7 / gtx-560 (Kodi 14.2, dxva enabled in settings, but no dxva in debug 'O' button), but can easy play it with MPC + Lav filter using DXVA
And how is it with Kodi 15 rc?
(2015-07-07, 21:19)djonline Wrote: [ -> ]ffmpeg is not multithreaded have some dxva problem

FFMPEG is indeed multithreaded, I use multithreaded h.264 and HEVC decoding at 4K on an i7 3770k without hardware acceleration no problem. I think you have a technical issue to resolve.
I try latest KodiSetup-20150702-3e5bfb6-dx11_Isengard.exe on 4K HD.Club Showreel-2013-100mbps.mp4 with dxva2 enabled in settings, but still very high cpu usage and no dxva in 'O' button.
You talk a whole lot of BS here - without having a single clue of what you are talking about, while mixing up CPU / GPU decoding and assume H264 and HEVC is done the very same way. This is plain wrong ...

HW decoders are _per _ se_ single threaded ... not a single cpu more would help anything, cause the GPU decoder path is used.

If you disable hw decoding all together - all cores of your CPU is used ...

We cannot do anything at all if your GPU is too slow to decode 4k ... and the referenced link won't help a single thing, cause it is about CPU decoding.

Furthermore H264 and HEVC is a whole lot different, cause HEVC is on most hw still decoded on the CPU only ....
(2015-07-07, 21:19)djonline Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi 14.2, dxva enabled in settings, but no dxva in debug 'O' button
Sounds to me like you haven't got DXVA enabled, how about posting a screenshot your Video Acceleration settings and of a video playing with the codec O button overlay plus a debug_log (wiki)
Pages: 1 2