Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: File(s) No Longer Available
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got a Windows 7 PC running as a Kodi client/MYSQL server in my house with a RaspberryPi2 client on another TV. Every so often (say every 2-3 days) when going to play a file on the Pi2, I get the message that the file is no longer available. To solve this, I reboot my Windows7 PC and I run fine again for a few days before this happens again (note: I do not have to reboot the Pi2, once the Windows PC is back up, I'm able to play the files again just fine)

When this message occurs:
1. I've checked and both the Pi2 and the Windows 7 machine are turned on and connected to the network (able to ping both).
2. I can still play the files just fine on my Windows 7 Kodi client

Does anyone have any insight as to why the files might become unavailable to the Pi2? I've tried rebooting the MYSQL service on the Windows 7 PC thinking that might be the problem but to no avail.

Any ideas? Much appreciated!
As this might be a RPI related problem, I think you might have chosen the wrong section to ask for.

First I would enable debug logging on RPi side and wait until the issue comes up again. After that, I would provide a full Debug Log so we can see, what happens exactly on your Pi.

A suggestion is, that the RPI looses its network connection and is not able to connect to the Windows 7 PC anymore.

For futher informations it's neccessary which distro you run on the RPI. I guess you use SMB shares from the windows PC to your Kodi client. As any Kodi version on the RPI is based on a Linux OS, I would recommend NFS as a share. But I think Windows isn't capable to provide this because of the lack of NFS service (correct me, if I'm wrong).

So a Debug Log from the RPI would be my next step

P.s.: And maybe someone move this to the RPI section?! As the windows PC seems to play the files still fine. So Windows seems not to be the problem
Have a read of this thread.
I had a similar problem - accessing smb shares on windows 7 from openelec (pc's, not pi). It would be fine for a couple of days, then need a reboot of the windows machine.
After reading the links I made 1 of the 2 registry changes described in post #8 (can't remember which), and the problem went away.

This sounds like the same issue, so it's at least worth a try - you can easily revert if it doesn't fix your issue.

Edit: just to be clear, I could still access the pc from another windows machine - but not via openelec.
(2015-07-05, 01:23)AWilliams84 Wrote: [ -> ](...) Every so often (say every 2-3 days) when going to play a file on the Pi2, I get the message that the file is no longer available. To solve this, I reboot my Windows7 PC and I run fine again for a few days before this happens again (...)

Sounds familiar. I think that's absolutely Windows related, although it has nothing to do with Kodi or RPi.

You are running a Win 7 system as a 24/7 fileserver - and that's not what M$ intended it to be used for. As I'm doing the same, I stumbled upon this problem a few years ago and found those registry hacks to overcome it:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanServer\Parameters]
"Size"=dword:00000003
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
"LargeSystemCache"=dword:00000001

Save those lines to a *.reg file and import it - of course backup the original registry settings at first.
After a reboot I'm sure your smb shares will work flawlessly for months Smile
Just checked my registry - I made the first change Fry's detailed, not the second. That was all that was needed in my case.
Please note, that he is still able to play the files with his windows Kodi client. Just not with the rpi.

To be clear...

Playback with rpi fails....message files not longer available

Playback with windows still works

After reboot of the server the playback for the rpi works.

Seems that all devices use the same share. And it seems there are 3 devices (one win7 server, one win kodi client and one rpi)

I would agree if the playback for windows would fail, too. I think the problem is not windows in this case, but I might be wrong
(2015-07-05, 12:16)David1977 Wrote: [ -> ]Please note, that he is still able to play the files with his windows Kodi client. Just not with the rpi.
I did note that. Wink

Windows does funny things sometimes.
I could access the server from another windows machine but not from openelec - which sounds like the same symptoms.
Very much appreciated guys. I'll try out the fix today and let you know the results!
Just as an update - it's been almost a couple days and things are still working fine. Fingers crossed that this is
the fix that takes care of it. If it works without fault for a whole week (something I could not do before) I will be very pleased

I made sure to save the .reg file as I've setup similar systems for friends and will make this part of the default setup from now on.

Thanks again guys, I won't post again unless something goes amok