Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New to Kodi, trying to setup TV Tuner
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey all, for years I have been using WMC for my live TV and PVR needs through my local cable company via a ceton pci card, and plex for other media needs. I am interested in Kodi as a vehicle which can do everything for me.

However, I am stuck early getting TV to work, hopefully missing something stupid.

I go to settings, tv, enable, it scans, tells me to select client, I select WMC and enable it, exit out. But now I am seeing no option anywhere for TV? What am I missing?
(2015-07-30, 23:36)mgftp Wrote: [ -> ]Hey all, for years I have been using WMC for my live TV and PVR needs through my local cable company via a ceton pci card, and plex for other media needs. I am interested in Kodi as a vehicle which can do everything for me.

However, I am stuck early getting TV to work, hopefully missing something stupid.

I go to settings, tv, enable, it scans, tells me to select client, I select WMC and enable it, exit out. But now I am seeing no option anywhere for TV? What am I missing?

Go into Kodis settings under "LiveTV or TV" is it enabled?
(2015-07-30, 23:59)Lunatixz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-07-30, 23:36)mgftp Wrote: [ -> ]Hey all, for years I have been using WMC for my live TV and PVR needs through my local cable company via a ceton pci card, and plex for other media needs. I am interested in Kodi as a vehicle which can do everything for me.

Go into Kodis settings under "LiveTV or TV" is it enabled?

Yes
Are you using a custom Kodi skin? once enabled even with a backend not properly setup you should see "TV" or "LiveTV" in kodi menu...
(2015-07-31, 00:05)Lunatixz Wrote: [ -> ]Are you using a custom Kodi skin? once enabled even with a backend not properly setup you should see "TV" or "LiveTV" in kodi menu...

Haven't touched skins or any customization stuff.

Darn, thought I was missing something stupid and it would be an easy fix :/
Did you install and setup ServerWMC on the Media Center pc?
(2015-07-31, 00:17)Dilligaf Wrote: [ -> ]Did you install and setup ServerWMC on the Media Center pc?

The PC with the tuner is the one I am using Kodi on. It looked to me when I installed Kodi that it was installing ServerWMC (along with other PVR clients).
You need the server app installed even if the client is on the same pc, see here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=179958 Kodi will NOT automatically install the server portion, it will install the client half
Check out the wiki, it has all the info you need to get up and running http://kodi.wiki/view/ServerWMC
Ok, thanks, so I was missing something stupid, I did assume everything I needed was installed with the client.

However, I now have the WMC Server installed and running, yet still no "TV" option showing on the main screen of Kodi. I did go ahead and disable and enable the TV setting again and something did pop up briefly on the top right about syncing channels, but I've waited a bit and still no "TV" in the menus. What could I be missing now?

Thank guys Smile
The wiki link above has all the info you need. You need to configure the server side in ServerWMC then point the client to the server in the Kodi pvrWMC addon
(2015-07-31, 02:28)Dilligaf Wrote: [ -> ]The wiki link above has all the info you need. You need to configure the server side in ServerWMC then point the client to the server in the Kodi pvrWMC addon

I figured the quick setup guide which I did would be enough?

I have to go through the whole thing, IP address info and all even though everything is run on the same PC?

Thanks again by the way. These questions and my struggles must seem really stupid for you Kodi experts. Coming from WMC and Plex which are pretty much install and use, I am finding this a bit confusing, but hoping I can get this working as I think it'll be a better system.
If its all installed on the same machine, it should be very easy. Serverwmc needs to be installed and left running on the machine that is running wmc. The first time you run it, you should have been asked permission by windows to let serverwmc listen on a port, hopefully you said okayed this. When you start kodi and our addon do you see the client name show up in the serverwmc window?

If you still can't get it to work - after kodi fails - post the serverwmc log (see debug tab in serverwmc) on pastebin.com and put a link to it here and we'll take a look.
(2015-07-31, 17:42)krustyreturns Wrote: [ -> ]If its all installed on the same machine, it should be very easy. Serverwmc needs to be installed and left running on the machine that is running wmc. The first time you run it, you should have been asked permission by windows to let serverwmc listen on a port, hopefully you said okayed this. When you start kodi and our addon do you see the client name show up in the serverwmc window?

If you still can't get it to work - after kodi fails - post the serverwmc log (see debug tab in serverwmc) on pastebin.com and put a link to it here and we'll take a look.

Firstly, thanks for the reply.

Yes, it's the same machine, and it's left running.

When you say "do you see the client name show up in the serverwmc window?" where should I be looking? If under the status tab on ServerWMC and under "Clients online:" I see "HTPC". I do notice the "HTPC" go away when Kodi is shut down, and come back when I open it.

Here is what I get from current log: http://pastebin.com/FLFnhkKg

Again, "TV" is simply never showing in the Kodi menu and I am assuming it should?

Thanks again for helping
Yes it should. Just for a sanity check, go to settings in kodi and make sure live-tv is enabled

Unfortunately according to the log, every one of your channels is being detected as having DRM. By default serverwmc doesn't transfer drm channels to kodi since kodi can't display them (only wmc can). You can override this behavior so that the channels are sent to kodi anyway. It could be that DRM is being detected in error, if thats the case, rebooting you server pc usually clears this up. But if all your channels are really DRM'd only wmc will display them.
Pages: 1 2